What's the most famous (or infamous) Highlands vs. Cov Cath game?

El Diablo

Don't know how famous it is but 2011 regular season was a heck of a game. 'Birds won 42-37 and if I recall correctly CovCath had ist and goal at the end of the game but Birds held. Didn't have to file my finger nails for a month after that.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Man, this just absolutely made my day. I've been looking for 92 footage for years and didn't realize this one was floating around out there. I've seen the Beechwood 92 game, but the footage is pretty bad on that...so this was a really nice gift to come across yesterday. 

This game was probably my favorite game of all time that I played in during my HS career. The atmosphere that night was unbelievable. There were so many people at this game. Will never forget how electric the atmosphere was...

Does anyone have the 92 Boone County game? I'm trying to verify for my kid that that game was the first time Shaun Alexander played in a varsity game for BC. I believe - and fully admit I could have my facts way off - that Jason Colemire - their starter in that game - got hurt late in the game and Alexander was put in. Anyone know if that's the case?

16 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Paul Hladon played behind Donny Bieger on the '87 state team and was QB1 on the '88 state team. Played football at Princeton as well. Adam McCormack was the QB on the '92 team that was expected to win state. They beat Highlands 41-21 in the regular season, but lost the playoff rematch in a muddy 14-7 loss in Park Hills. McCormack had 7 of the school's QB records when he graduated and went to Morehead State on a football scholarship, then Morehead shelved their football program while he was there, so he transferred to Miami Oxford for football.

Hladon and McCormack are both in the CCH Hall of Fame, and Adam's son Liam is a WR/DB at Beechwood right now.

I've talked to Coach Bob Noll about the Highlands game in '92 a few times. He and Coach Tim Hobbs shared offensive play calling duties in those days. Coach Noll told me, "We [the coaches] lost that game. We just didn't plan for the rain. We came in trying to pass all day because that's what we did, and the game was just too wet for us to do that."

Cov Cath Hall of Fame Profiles:

Paul Hladon
Football
Graduation Year: 1989
Induction Year: 2022
bccb6947-ff8e-489e-9798-3fe3a502189b.jpg

Adam McCormack
Football/Baseball
Graduation Year: 1993
Induction Year: 2015
50d233fc-1da6-4e40-88c1-f87cdf13b801.jpg

That loss had a major effect on many of us on the field that day for CovCath - players, coaches, support staff. It was awful. No one thought we'd lose that game, especially after the victory at Highlands in the regular season. As a senior on that team, I still remember it took weeks for Coach Ray, Coach Noll and the other coaches in the building to really recover from it. Not many words were spoken afterwards and for a few weeks after.

The downpour the night before and early Saturday really played into the hands of the Bluebirds. Aside from the field conditions really helping their offense dominate early - they scored on a short TD on the first drive of the game - it really benefitted them on the special teams. I really don't think Grimm returns the punt for a TD on a dry field. Our special teams were too good. 

If I'm not mistaken the Birds OL that day was John Schlarman, Darren Arnsberg, Drew Meyers, David Berringer, Rob Reynolds and another Arnsberg may have started at G with Berringer being the swing lineman. That's three Divison I linemen...the conditions were perfect for them to ground and pound with Corey Scarlato as our defense was smallish, but very fast.

• Like 1

Exhibit A to argue my contention that KY football is better when Highlands is relevant.  

Would we be having this conversation if HHS was down?  I think not. And it is a fascinating conversation, with the footage of past games a most welcome component.  

Here’s hoping that this year’s contest measures up to some of those in the discussion. 

2 hours ago, BrosefStalin said:

Man, this just absolutely made my day. I've been looking for 92 footage for years and didn't realize this one was floating around out there. I've seen the Beechwood 92 game, but the footage is pretty bad on that...so this was a really nice gift to come across yesterday. 

This game was probably my favorite game of all time that I played in during my HS career. The atmosphere that night was unbelievable. There were so many people at this game. Will never forget how electric the atmosphere was...

Does anyone have the 92 Boone County game? I'm trying to verify for my kid that that game was the first time Shaun Alexander played in a varsity game for BC. I believe - and fully admit I could have my facts way off - that Jason Colemire - their starter in that game - got hurt late in the game and Alexander was put in. Anyone know if that's the case?

I officiated the first game of Shaun's freshman year at Boone. Shortly before half Shaun busted one for a TD and a 7-0 lead over the Colonels(they played first week for years). As we ran off field I was next to Fred Bernier and Bruce Hart, Boone assistants and old friends. I said why are you guys not playing that kid.....they laughed and said trust us, we will...and they did lol.

2 hours ago, BrosefStalin said:

I'm not sure if it was that particular game, but yes, Jason Colemire got hurt (I think ACL tear) which opened the door for Shaun Alexander.  

13 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I've heard several folks who have watched a lot more Cov Cath football than I have who have said the same thing about the '82 team.

The Mt. Rushmore of best Cov Cath football teams not to win state are 1969, 1982, 1992, and 2018.

In 1969 Cov Cath handled Highlands 35-6 and were 8-2 in the regular season but didn't get a shot at the playoffs because most of the NKY public schools had boycotted scheduling Cov Cath as a private school and the lack of district competition prevented Cov Cath from getting into the playoffs in those days. They had Rick Hornsby (Louisville), Rick Fedders (Marshall), Mike Setters (Eastern Kentucky), Tom Thoss (Austin Peay), and Bill Topmiller (Vanderbilt) all on that team, in addition to Keith Stowers who had offers from Marshall and Morehead State and was expecting offers from several other schools at the time of his death, prior to graduation from Cov Cath.

I'm going to throw the 90-91 team as one of the best teams at CCH to not win state.  That team was ranked at times as one of the top teams in the state.   Their only regular season loss came in a tightly fought game against Massillon, OH and an end of season loss at Bell Co.   That team had seniors David Wilson (Miami, OH), Barry Jones (University of KY), Nate Rodig, (University of Dayton) Jim Danneman (XU Baseball) and a host of other guys that went on to play at smaller colleges.   Not to mention Adam McCormick, Chad Cogswell were contributing sophomores on that team.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UKato91 said:

I'm going to throw the 90-91 team as one of the best teams at CCH to not win state.  That team was ranked at times as one of the top teams in the state.   Their only regular season loss came in a tightly fought game against Massillon, OH and an end of season loss at Bell Co.   That team had seniors David Wilson (Miami, OH), Barry Jones (University of KY), Nate Rodig, (University of Dayton) Jim Danneman (XU Baseball) and a host of other guys that went on to play at smaller colleges.   Not to mention Adam McCormick, Chad Cogswell were contributing sophomores on that team.  

Did QB Adam McCormick win state during his time at Cov Cath?

Actually the infamous “MUD BOWL” was played at Highlands, the field was more like a swamp, rain continued, by the end of the game, with questionable play calling, DEFENSIVE PLAYS, were not being called by the Defensive Line Coach, wrong calls were sent in and HIGHLANDS HHS lost the Mud Bowl.