What's the most famous (or infamous) Highlands vs. Cov Cath game?

El Diablo

1 hour ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I'm partial to this energy instead.

Is the "Mud Bowl" the most famous (or infamous) Highlands vs Cov Cath game? Is there any other game that can contend with the matchup, drama, setting of the 97 playoff game? Obviously not but I'd like to hear if there are any that are even kind of close.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, El Diablo said:

Is the "Mud Bowl" the most famous (or infamous) Highlands vs Cov Cath game? Is there any other game that can contend with the matchup, drama, setting of the 97 playoff game? Obviously not but I'd like to hear if there are any that are even kind of close.

2006 has to be up there.  CCH won on a walk off TD, Bleser to Bovard. 

CCH would go on to beat Highlands again that year and win state for the first time since 1997.

13 minutes ago, Coach112 said:

2006 has to be up there.  CCH won on a walk off TD, Bleser to Bovard. 

CCH would go on to beat Highlands again that year and win state for the first time since 1997.

That one was a pretty crazy game.

There was kind of a "reverse mud bowl" in 1992. Cov Cath was supposed to be one of best teams in KY regardless of class. They had a really good QB, Hlad I think was the name. Cov Cath blasted Highlands in the regular season game like 45-6. Then the playoff game in Park Hills was a downpour and the field was slop. I believe Highlands won 7-6 or something with the key play being a kick return by now Highlands coach Mike Welch.

1 hour ago, El Diablo said:

That one was a pretty crazy game.

There was kind of a "reverse mud bowl" in 1992. Cov Cath was supposed to be one of best teams in KY regardless of class. They had a really good QB, Hlad I think was the name. Cov Cath blasted Highlands in the regular season game like 45-6. Then the playoff game in Park Hills was a downpour and the field was slop. I believe Highlands won 7-6 or something with the key play being a kick return by now Highlands coach Mike Welch.

Paul Hladon played behind Donny Bieger on the '87 state team and was QB1 on the '88 state team. Played football at Princeton as well. Adam McCormack was the QB on the '92 team that was expected to win state. They beat Highlands 41-21 in the regular season, but lost the playoff rematch in a muddy 14-7 loss in Park Hills. McCormack had 7 of the school's QB records when he graduated and went to Morehead State on a football scholarship, then Morehead shelved their football program while he was there, so he transferred to Miami Oxford for football.

Hladon and McCormack are both in the CCH Hall of Fame, and Adam's son Liam is a WR/DB at Beechwood right now.

I've talked to Coach Bob Noll about the Highlands game in '92 a few times. He and Coach Tim Hobbs shared offensive play calling duties in those days. Coach Noll told me, "We [the coaches] lost that game. We just didn't plan for the rain. We came in trying to pass all day because that's what we did, and the game was just too wet for us to do that."

Cov Cath Hall of Fame Profiles:

Paul Hladon
Football
Graduation Year: 1989
Induction Year: 2022
bccb6947-ff8e-489e-9798-3fe3a502189b.jpg

Adam McCormack
Football/Baseball
Graduation Year: 1993
Induction Year: 2015
50d233fc-1da6-4e40-88c1-f87cdf13b801.jpg

• Thanks 1