Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

2023-2026 Football Realignment Timeline

Featured Replies

I believe this is the last year of the current alignment. I feel like this time four years ago KHSAA had already published drafts concerning the upcoming realignment, but I have not seen anything yet.

Am I misremembering, or does anyone have more info on this?

  • Replies 78
  • Views 10.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • DevilMayCare
    DevilMayCare

    Under normal circumstances, the first draft of the new alignment would have already been made public. However, as most of us are aware, the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 school years were most definitely no

  • Because it can be a logistical nightmare. And expensive. You’ve got people and equipment to move, and school buses aren’t great vehicles to do that for long trips. You’ve got make sure 40+kids get fed

  • Colonels_Wear_Blue
    Colonels_Wear_Blue

    There certainly are districts in Kentucky where that still happens. Take 4A District 6, for example: Boyd County, Harrison County, Holmes, Rowan County, Scott. Rowan County is 96 miles from Holmes,

29 minutes ago, burreaux said:

I believe this is the last year of the current alignment. I feel like this time four years ago KHSAA had already published drafts concerning the upcoming realignment, but I have not seen anything yet.

Am I misremembering, or does anyone have more info on this?

Under normal circumstances, the first draft of the new alignment would have already been made public. However, as most of us are aware, the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 school years were most definitely not normal. In short, blame this on Covid. 

They're running behind their usual schedule, but the KHSAA intends to collect enrollment data soon and have a first draft ready for next January.

You can read up on it here:

https://khsaa.org/07-25-22-reminders-about-realignment-reclassification-processes-for-2023-24-and-beyond-fb-tr-xc/

23 hours ago, DevilMayCare said:

Under normal circumstances, the first draft of the new alignment would have already been made public. However, as most of us are aware, the 2020-2021 and 2021-2022 school years were most definitely not normal. In short, blame this on Covid. 

They're running behind their usual schedule, but the KHSAA intends to collect enrollment data soon and have a first draft ready for next January.

You can read up on it here:

https://khsaa.org/07-25-22-reminders-about-realignment-reclassification-processes-for-2023-24-and-beyond-fb-tr-xc/

I could see this pushing some teams higher or lower from the previous class they were apart of. Should be interesting to see where everyone falls. 

I believe there was an email that went out that said November there would be a draft/breakdown of classes. Then January the district draft would come out. From there I believe schools can petition to move.  

Here is a preview of things to come in realignment. Both Highlands and Covington Catholic will drop to 4A.

16 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Here is a preview of things to come in realignment. Both Highlands and Covington Catholic will drop to 4A.

You think Boyle will drop to 3A? I'm guessing they do. 

12 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

You think Boyle will drop to 3A? I'm guessing they do. 

Why would they not partition to play in a higher class. Hard to showcase how great a team you have when you are head and shoulders better than everyone else.

There is kind of a cascade effect that can happen. For example, if both Highlands and Cov Cath moved down then it basically forces two teams to move up.  If Great Crossing and Douglas moves up to 6A then two previous 6A teams would move down. So there is a degree of shuffling that happens once the top and bottom enrollment 32 happen. Then add in teams asking to play up or down due to factors. 
 

In the end it’s the teams on the upper and lower cusp that would move. Some districts grew during Covid and some took a pretty good hit enrollment wise. Since enrollment numbers got jacked up during Covid they are using a formula to determine enrollment that is different than in the past. I wouldn’t be surprised if there is a little bit larger number of requests to move classes due to districts saying the enrollment numbers aren’t accurate based on the formula. 

12 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

You think Boyle will drop to 3A? I'm guessing they do. 

Teams generally can't choose to drop in class. It is about their enrollment numbers. I am told CCH and Highlands will be in 4A based on their enrollment numbers. 

  • Author
Quote
2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Teams generally can't choose to drop in class. It is about their enrollment numbers. I am told CCH and Highlands will be in 4A based on their enrollment numbers. 

 

12 hours ago, Statsdontlie said:

You think Boyle will drop to 3A? I'm guessing they do. 

 

Highlands was slated to play in 4A last go around but chose to play up and Boyle was the 2nd highest school in 3A originally. I think it is likely that they both end up in 4A this time around. 

If Johnson Central, Corbin, Louisville Central, and Lex Cath stay in 4A, along with Boyle, Highlands, and potentially Cov Cath you could have a loaded field of traditional powerhouses (and a few current ones too ?.)

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

Teams generally can't choose to drop in class. It is about their enrollment numbers. I am told CCH and Highlands will be in 4A based on their enrollment numbers. 

Boyle is currently 3A in enrollment playing up in class. They can choose to drop back down if they want to. They went from 3A to 4A in 2018 to reduce district travel and I would assume that Chuck didn’t want to play @ChiefSmoke with district seeding on the line due to their friendship. 

55 minutes ago, WestDanville said:

Boyle is currently 3A in enrollment playing up in class. They can choose to drop back down if they want to. They went from 3A to 4A in 2018 to reduce district travel and I would assume that Chuck didn’t want to play @ChiefSmoke with district seeding on the line due to their friendship. 

 Technically they would not be choosing to drop down 3A. They are in 3A by enrollment. If they want to keep playing in 4A, they would have to request to play up to 4A again. I know, it's semantics, but technically that is how it would work.

I would think everything shaking out later will make scheduling a little tougher for some teams.  

11 minutes ago, BEChargers said:

I would think everything shaking out later will make scheduling a little tougher for some teams.  

Everyone is on the same time table. I don't see an issue. 

11 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

Why would they not partition to play in a higher class. Hard to showcase how great a team you have when you are head and shoulders better than everyone else.

With six classes why should people be allowed to play up? Play where your numbers put you. At most that's four games, often three. Plenty of chances to showcase your team. If you really want to play up maybe you should have to go to 6a.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.