2023-2026 Football Realignment Timeline

burreaux

Will the KHSAA ever have the stance that this is your classification by numbers and this is where you play? I always laugh down here in Myrtle Beach. These guys travel 65-70 miles or more for district games and no one flinches lol. Also......when will a parent or parents sue for classification in ALL sports(Basketball included)?

17 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Will the KHSAA ever have the stance that this is your classification by numbers and this is where you play? I always laugh down here in Myrtle Beach. These guys travel 65-70 miles or more for district games and no one flinches lol. Also......when will a parent or parents sue for classification in ALL sports(Basketball included)?

There certainly are districts in Kentucky where that still happens. Take 4A District 6, for example: Boyd County, Harrison County, Holmes, Rowan County, Scott.

Rowan County is 96 miles from Holmes, 95 miles from Scott, 64 miles from Harrison County, and 51 miles from Boyd County.

Boyd County is 131 miles from Holmes, 130 miles from Scott, 113 miles from Harrison County, and 51 miles from Rowan County.

Harrison County is 113 miles from Boyd County, 64 miles from Rowan County, 57 miles from Holmes, and 56 miles from Scott..

The only game in the entire district with less than a 50 mile drive each way is Holmes vs. Scott.

• Like 5

On 10/6/2022 at 5:17 PM, BEChargers said:

I would think everything shaking out later will make scheduling a little tougher for some teams.  

I think you may be correct. There are some schools that may be in the middle of multi year contracts. Moving up or down could affect those?

Lets use DeSales in this scenario. They should be 2A next year and have some TOUGH games to return next year. That’s a lot to ask of a smaller school. 

3 hours ago, Falcon Pride said:

I think you may be correct. There are some schools that may be in the middle of multi year contracts. Moving up or down could affect those?

Lets use DeSales in this scenario. They should be 2A next year and have some TOUGH games to return next year. That’s a lot to ask of a smaller school. 

I think there are some scenario's that will make it tougher but to each his own.

8 hours ago, 9068 said:

I mean, what harm would they claim to even make this a case?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DanvilleFan said:

I mean, what harm would they claim to even make this a case?

When softball switched from slow to fast pitch a group of parents had petitioned with the contention that girls were being denied scholarship opportunities. Perhaps some one would claim their child is being denied EQUITY in competing for a state championship and scholarship opportunities. Have just wondered about it.

On 10/8/2022 at 11:09 AM, 9068 said:

When softball switched from slow to fast pitch a group of parents had petitioned with the contention that girls were being denied scholarship opportunities. Perhaps some one would claim their child is being denied EQUITY in competing for a state championship and scholarship opportunities. Have just wondered about it.

This has been discussed quite a bit here.  The small schools do have the All A that while not being the KHSAA championship is still something they can look forward to and compete in for a "state championship". As a small school (less than 400 students). parent I love the all comers state championship in basketball.  It sets KY apart and makes it such a bigger accomplishment.  When our girls won the KHSAA state it was amazing.  If there were one of 3-4 teams to win it would feel like everyone gets a trophy.  Football is such a different animal though.  It has to be separate.  Just my opinion though.

• Like 2

On 10/7/2022 at 5:47 PM, 9068 said:

The Kentucky Supreme Court has routinely ruled that a student has neither a property right or a fundamental constitutional right to participate in extracurricular activities, nor is there a protected civil right impacted by classifications or eligibility, and therefore neither the student nor their parents have standing to sue for such things.

• Like 4

On 10/7/2022 at 5:22 PM, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

There certainly are districts in Kentucky where that still happens. Take 4A District 6, for example: Boyd County, Harrison County, Holmes, Rowan County, Scott.

Rowan County is 96 miles from Holmes, 95 miles from Scott, 64 miles from Harrison County, and 51 miles from Boyd County.

Boyd County is 131 miles from Holmes, 130 miles from Scott, 113 miles from Harrison County, and 51 miles from Rowan County.

Harrison County is 113 miles from Boyd County, 64 miles from Rowan County, 57 miles from Holmes, and 56 miles from Scott..

The only game in the entire district with less than a 50 mile drive each way is Holmes vs. Scott.

Graves has to have everyone beat in travel for district games

Muhlenberg County - 90 miles

Ohio County - 110 miles

Owensboro - 110 miles

Grayson County - 140 miles 

Breckenridge County - 140 miles (county roads for a fourth of the trip) 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

That's each way??

Correct. So multiply by 2 for how much our kids, coaches, and parents have to travel for road games. I simply no longer go to any away district game except for Owensboro, which is usually the deciding game for the District.

• Like 2

You guys are hilarious, try living in a state like Colorado where teams travel 5-6 hours to play teams in their district and if they make it to the state tournament, they can travel as much as 8-10 hours on a school bus to play. Example would be Durango High School in southwest Colorado playing in the Denver area or further north for a playoff game. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hardin County Preps said:

You guys are hilarious, try living in a state like Colorado where teams travel 5-6 hours to play teams in their district and if they make it to the state tournament, they can travel as much as 8-10 hours on a school bus to play. Example would be Durango High School in southwest Colorado playing in the Denver area or further north for a playoff game. 

Seems like they need to completely overhaul their system if that is the case. I understand traveling once in the playoffs, but don't make it cost thousands of dollars in travel every week for kids to play high school football.

1 hour ago, gcbleedblue said:

Seems like they need to completely overhaul their system if that is the case. I understand traveling once in the playoffs, but don't make it cost thousands of dollars in travel every week for kids to play high school football.

I think the point he is making is that the teams out west must travel far because there are vast distances of no civilization. Durango goes to Denver because there is almost no one else closer to play.