Lamar Jackson Contract

bugatti

If you leave the negotiation aspect out of it, I would think the peace of mind of not having to do all the paperwork and having to know all about contract law would be worth $7.5 million for somebody else to handle all of that.  I'm thinking of the guy sleeping in the hammock in the Turbo Tax commercial not doing his taxes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nkypete said:

If you leave the negotiation aspect out of it, I would think the peace of mind of not having to do all the paperwork and having to know all about contract law would be worth $7.5 million for somebody else to handle all of that.  I'm thinking of the guy sleeping in the hammock in the Turbo Tax commercial not doing his taxes.

Indeed.  👍

My biggest question is why can the Cleveland QB get a contract that breaks the bank, knowing his issues and Lamar doesn't. Is it just different philosophies between the teams concerning contracts and what they are willing to do with guaranteed money? I don't know of any reason they wouldn't want to keep Lamar.

5 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

My biggest question is why can the Cleveland QB get a contract that breaks the bank, knowing his issues and Lamar doesn't. Is it just different philosophies between the teams concerning contracts and what they are willing to do with guaranteed money? I don't know of any reason they wouldn't want to keep Lamar.

I don't remember, was anyone outside of the Browns offering Watson that kind of guaranteed money?

5 minutes ago, theguru said:

I don't remember, was anyone outside of the Browns offering Watson that kind of guaranteed money?

It's not really known, but it appears the Browns were effectively negotiating against themselves.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I think the idea is that if they give Lamar that contract, the contracts just keep going up and up and up. Which they will, obviously. They (NFL owners) aren't willing to fork over that kind of guaranteed money, so Lamar is the victim, of sorts. 

• Like 1

^ And that is typically how it works. There is always a resetting of the market and it is a matter of timing. The true target should have been the Kyler Murray contract, but the Browns apparently didn't get that memo or someone in the accounting department incorrectly put a "2" instead of a "1" at the front of Watson's contract.  The NFL ain't ready to make that a re-setting contractual circumstance.

Again, the franchise tag is what really complicates this. As Irsay revealed, it is not necessarily the money, it is the draft capital they must unload + the money.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I think the idea is that if they give Lamar that contract, the contracts just keep going up and up and up. Which they will, obviously. They (NFL owners) aren't willing to fork over that kind of guaranteed money, so Lamar is the victim, of sorts. 

This 100%^

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bugatti said:

^ And that is typically how it works. There is always a resetting of the market and it is a matter of timing. The true target should have been the Kyler Murray contract, but the Browns apparently didn't get that memo or someone in the accounting department incorrectly put a "2" instead of a "1" at the front of Watson's contract.  The NFL ain't ready to make that a re-setting contractual circumstance.

Again, the franchise tag is what really complicates this. As Irsay revealed, it is not necessarily the money, it is the draft capital they must unload + the money.

15 hours ago, theguru said:

15 hours ago, bugatti said:

It's not really known, but it appears the Browns were effectively negotiating against themselves.

The Browns got desperate and had to offer him that fully guaranteed contract to get Watson to agree to go there. Watson had said he didn’t want to go to Cleveland and had even taken the Browns out of the running for him. However, Mayfield found out that they had tried to trade to Watson and even though Watson shot them down. Mayfield then asked to be traded, so the Browns got desperate and the only way to get Watson to reconsider them. Was to offer him something no other team would, and that was that huge fully guaranteed contract. 

The Browns desperate move to get Watson to reconsider them after taking them out of the running for him. Is what set this whole QB contract controversy that Jackson is now in. Jackson is definitely worth the money and more than what Watson got IMO. However, no team wants to follow the dangerous trend the Browns started with their desperation to get Watson. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/texans/2022/03/17/deshaun-watson-trade-cleveland-browns-houston-texans-quarterback/7075286001/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, futurecoach said:

The Browns got desperate and had to offer him that fully guaranteed contract to get Watson to agree to go there. Watson had said he didn’t want to go to Cleveland and had even taken the Browns out of the running for him. However, Mayfield found out that they had tried to trade to Watson and even though Watson shot them down. Mayfield then asked to be traded, so the Browns got desperate and the only way to get Watson to reconsider them. Was to offer him something no other team would, and that was that huge fully guaranteed contract. 

The Browns desperate move to get Watson to reconsider them after taking them out of the running for him. Is what set this whole QB contract controversy that Jackson is now in. Jackson is definitely worth the money and more than what Watson got IMO. However, no team wants to follow the dangerous trend the Browns started with their desperation to get Watson. 

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/texans/2022/03/17/deshaun-watson-trade-cleveland-browns-houston-texans-quarterback/7075286001/

To the bolded, it is buffering what I said in that no other team would do what they were offering. They were negotiating against themselves and team Watson took them to school.

And I agree on taking Jackson over Watson. However, despite Jackson's MVP (and prior to the sexual assault allegations), Watson was seen in higher regard than Lamar in NFL circles. His last season for the Texans he was the second rated QB per PFF and led the league in passing.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bugatti said:

To the bolded, it is buffering what I said in that no other team would do what they were offering. They were negotiating against themselves and team Watson took them to school.

And I agree on taking Jackson over Watson. However, despite Jackson's MVP (and prior to the sexual assault allegations), Watson was seen in higher regard than Lamar in NFL circles. His last season for the Texans he was the second rated QB per PFF and led the league in passing.

Correct. I don’t think Watson and his team even expected to get a big fully guaranteed contract like they got. Especially coming off all the off the field stuff. So I do think he was fully planning on going to the Panthers, Saints, or Falcons and didn’t want the Browns at all, and would have did a deal with one of them that wasn’t fully guaranteed. Yet after he dropped the Browns out of contention, they probably came back and said what can we do to change your mind. Which they probably even told the Browns the only way to get him to change his mind is give him a fully guaranteed deal, and they probably didn’t even expect the Browns to actually do it lol. 

• 3 weeks later...