Lamar Jackson Contract

bugatti

Has anyone kept up with this? Jackson does not have an agent as he doesn't want them to take a cut of his money. Today was the deadline he set to broker a deal, which he did not reach with the Ravens. In turn, he has decided to play out the final year on his rookie deal and presumably he will be franchised tagged next year.

While I admire what he is attempting to do, get an agent, Lamar. I hope it works out for him, but there is a lot of risk involved.

4 minutes ago, bugatti said:

Has anyone kept up with this? Jackson does not have an agent as he doesn't want them to take a cut of his money. Today was the deadline he set to broker a deal, which he did not reach with the Ravens. In turn, he has decided to play out the final year on his rookie deal and presumably he will be franchised tagged next year.

While I admire what he is attempting to do, get an agent, Lamar. I hope it works out for him, but there is a lot of risk involved.

I just saw this before you posted.  From a Bengals perspective, I am not sure if it is a good or a bad thing.

I do understand not wanting anyone else to take a cut of your money but like you bug I think there is a lot of risk by not hiring a professional.

2 hours ago, mcpapa said:

I heard that he turned down something like $290M for six years.  Less than $140M was guaranteed. 

Don’t hold me to it. 

Heard the same, and I’m glad he turned it down.

Deshaun Watson got $230+ million guaranteed. It’s not even a discussion until that point if I’m Lamar. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The Ravens will almost certainly use the franchise tag on him for the '23 season and maybe even the '24 season. The only real leverage he has with Ravens is by threatening to sit out in order to force a trade to another team that may be willing to pay him that much guaranteed money. 

Also, the Watson contract does not seem to be setting the market like many thought it would. The Wilson and Murray contracts came after him and neither one guaranteed more than 50% of the total value.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Did Lamar's NSFW tweet cost him any money? I think it probably did...got to be smarter than to clap back at fans on Twitter, especially in the manner that he did.

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

No.

Good for Lamar. He should do it more often. 

Time will tell if it costs him money (I believe he has already cost himself by not getting an agent), but franchises will look for any excuse NOT to pay. Does this singular thing matter in the grand scheme? Probably not.

Remember, he is the one going to the negotiating table. Having this thrown back in his face will not help his efforts when he is not accustomed to being in that line of work.