Lamar Jackson Contract

bugatti

I heard someone talking last week either on TV or the Radio, can't remember, that the reason Lamar doesn't have an agent is because he refuses to any percentage of his contract to a third party.

Is this true, anyone else hear anything like this?

9 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I heard someone talking last week either on TV or the Radio, can't remember, that the reason Lamar doesn't have an agent is because he refuses to any percentage of his contract to a third party.

I always assumed that was the reason, cut out any middle men. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

That's always been the reason. He has represented himself since he came into the NFL with his mom serving as his manager.

And Jackson is not shattering any molds by negotiating his own deal. It is obviously not commonplace, but I would say it is non-existent for a QB of his caliber. Then you throw in the complexity of the franchise tag it is uncharted territory.

The max an agent can make is 3%. So let's say Jackson were to ink a $250M deal (this might be on the high end), an agent would get $7.5M. Has he cost himself that amount of money? Or would the peace of mind of not sitting at a negotiation table having to hear why you are not worth X amount of money worth $7.5M?

3 minutes ago, bugatti said:

That's always been the reason. He has represented himself since he came into the NFL with his mom serving as his manager.

And Jackson is not shattering any molds by negotiating his own deal. It is obviously not commonplace, but I would say it is non-existent for a QB of his caliber. Then you throw in the complexity of the franchise tag it is uncharted territory.

The max an agent can make is 3%. So let's say Jackson were to ink a $250M deal (this might be on the high end), an agent would get $7.5M. Has he cost himself that amount of money? Or would the peace of mind of not sitting at a negotiation table having to hear why you are not worth X amount of money worth $7.5M?

$7.5M is a lot to pay someone for them to do what you tell them to do...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

$7.5M is a lot to pay someone for them to do what you tell them to do...

How much money has he potentially lost by not using an agent in this process though? Probably more than $7.5 million.

1 minute ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I agree, he's not. But a skilled agent could have probably steered him around a lot of pot holes that he's driven right into.

Maybe. But again, agents do what you tell them to, and can't keep you from saying anything you want to say. 

13 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Maybe. But again, agents do what you tell them to, and can't keep you from saying anything you want to say. 

This is true though you are making the process too simplistic. An agent is not going to expose you to the dirty process of it all, that is what they are paid for. People do not want to hear about their deficiencies (nor does a team want that) as it HIGHLY increases the likelihood a bridge will be burned. He went off on some random nobody on twitter after a poor game. What would his reaction be like to his bosses, in person, calling out some of the same stuff? Humans are too damn prideful. 

At the end of the day an agent is a sales person. They are selling you and telling you what you need to hear. It is great to say, "I really want to know what they think about me." Umm, no you don't. You want to get paid.

18 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

True, but a good agent can also council you with good advice. Lamar can't be so obtuse as to think he's an expert negotiater and better than anyone he could hire. Lamar would have the best in the business available if he chose to hire an agent. Hopefully he has a financial team in place and isn't just sticking his money under the mattress or in a savings account. 

He's a generational player, I hate to see him lose even one year out of the league, regardless of who's fault it is.

2 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

True, but a good agent can also council you with good advice. Lamar can't be so obtuse as to think he's an expert negotiater and better than anyone he could hire. Lamar would have the best in the business available if he chose to hire an agent. Hopefully he has a financial team in place and isn't just sticking his money under the mattress or in a savings account. 

He's a generational player, I hate to see him lose even one year out of the league, regardless of who's fault it is.

I don't think he believes that at all. 

• Like 1