Lamar Jackson Contract

bugatti

4 hours ago, DragonFire said:

I don't understand why the Jets don't just grab Lamar instead of ARod and be done with it.

Nor do I. I would take Jackson and his upside over the Rodgers' circus in a heart beat. For whatever reason the two first round picks + whatever his compensation will be is too much to ask? I call bologna on that. If you believe he is a franchise changer - like I do - then you go for it. Draft picks are gambles. Lamar is much less of a gamble.

Lamar strikes me as incredibly proud. I think another team can get him for less than what he wants from Baltimore so he can throw it back in their face.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, theguru said:

Switching gears here if anyone wants to, what is the latest with Lamar, do we think he will end up with the Ravens this year or somewhere else?

I can't see how he ever plays in Baltimore. But if the owners "hold the line" I'm not sure what other option he has? I suppose he could just sit out and not get paid. But they would still own his rights if I understand.

Again, I think he is incredibly prideful, so maybe the move is to not play, wait and see what these other QBs get next (i.e Burrow, Herbert), then try to strike a deal next year?

The tag he is under muddies the water, so I don't fully get the ins and outs of it all.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

Out of curiosity, why do you find it commendable and understand Lamar wanting to represent himself? 

It’s a significant chunk of change he saved. However it looks like it will cost him in the long game.

5 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

I don't agree with this. Agents provide an amazing benefit to professional athletes. They do so much more than negotiate a contract. Athletes, like almost every 20 something year old, have no clue about managing their finances. Then they get millions. That is a recipe for disaster. Good agents handle all of this on a day-to-day basis. The key is getting a good agent, and that is a big part of the reason why agents have to get licensed.

Totally agree. There is the rub. Roquan did it. But Lamar is unable to get what he’s worth in his view. His leverage was at a premium last year. He could have pushed them into a corner.  An agent would have advised a different track at that point in my opinion. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DragonFire said:

I don't understand why the Jets don't just grab Lamar instead of ARod and be done with it.

New ownership. Heck if I’m the artists formerly known as the Redskins, I do whatever it takes to make that happen. 

23 minutes ago, spindoc said:

Totally agree. There is the rub. Roquan did it. But Lamar is unable to get what he’s worth in his view. His leverage was at a premium last year. He could have pushed them into a corner.  An agent would have advised a different track at that point in my opinion. 

Yep. And several players besides Roquan have done it! QBs are different animals all together, though. And to your point I'm not sure what leverage he has? You can't compare a QB's worth and value to any other position which makes the negotiation that much more challenging.

1 hour ago, bugatti said:

Yep. And several players besides Roquan have done it! QBs are different animals all together, though. And to your point I'm not sure what leverage he has? You can't compare a QB's worth and value to any other position which makes the negotiation that much more challenging.

Well last year he could have held out for a deal. Tags wouldn’t have been on the table similarly. Now he’s allowed them to be in a position of power regarding negotiation, and they chose the tag most likely avoided by other teams, regardless how you feel about collusion. The larger of the two tags could have more easily been a sign and trade, unless I misunderstand. This tag costs you way too much without selling your soul to get the player. Frankly, I have no clue how a trade would work under this particular tag, although it seems to be a possibility but at what cost to the ravens  when they have leverage as it stands without the trade. 

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

If I were an NFL owner, I would not see Jackson as an injury risk (Ravens have stated this). But if I were an owner, you can't dismiss the risk and ignore the last two seasons. 70 out of 82 (85.4%) is great. But in the Ravens last 23 games, he has been available for only 12 (52.2%). And with any negotiation that will get back thrown in your face. Or in Jackson's case, literally in his face because he is the one directly dealing with management.

Still: Reward > Risk

• Like 1

Sorry, suck at pasting this whole conversation, but this was in response to Arthur Blank's take on the Jackson offseason.

Replying to

Finally… Somebody states the obvious! 2021 - 16 TDS- 13 ints- QBR 50.7 2022- 17 TDS - 9 Ints- QBR 59.1 missed 9 games in last two seasons. Including 1 playoff game. injuries - lower back injury, knee injury, including current ankle injury. ***1***career playoff win. 1 MVP