Paducah Tilghman getting new turf field and new track

5 hours ago, Tkinslow said:

Seems like every team will get it sooner or later which is kind of sad. Man I miss walking on that field and smelling that grass that was great.

Has to be harder on the knees and other injuries, but rain becomes less of a factor.

Over the past few years, turfs have caused a lot more injuries then natural surfaces... even with that being a statistic, it just doesn't make sense to have grass, keep it up, keep it painted, and all the other burdens that come with that.  Turf should be at any school that has the ability to do so.  Football, Boys Soccer, and Girls Soccer can all use it and benefit.

3 hours ago, BigRedTopp11 said:

Over the past few years, turfs have caused a lot more injuries then natural surfaces...

I always heard that about the old AstroTurf from the 1980s. Is that happening with the current models of field turf?

On 6/3/2022 at 10:39 AM, BigRedTopp11 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-stars-started-petition-ban-174717471.html

Now, this isn't science, but I think it does show at least a concern.
"16 teams play on natural grass and 16 teams play on turf.  Of the 16 turf teams, 13 of them were among the top 16 teams injuried."

I read that article and it is pretty clearly laid out that there is an issue with turf. I wonder how much of the issues is because current turf cleats grip a little too well? How many of these non-contact lower leg injuries would have happened with shorter cleats or even shoes without cleats?

The issue isn't that the field is too hard like in the old early astroturf, so it must be with the amount of grip the players now have on modern fields with modern shoes.

I'd think mandating a new lower grip shoe would be a huge help in reducing "Turf" injuries. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I read that article and it is pretty clearly laid out that there is an issue with turf. I wonder how much of the issues is because current turf cleats grip a little too well? How many of these non-contact lower leg injuries would have happened with shorter cleats or even shoes without cleats?

The issue isn't that the field is too hard like in the old early astroturf, so it must be with the amount of grip the players now have on modern fields with modern shoes.

I'd think mandating a new lower grip shoe would be a huge help in reducing "Turf" injuries. 

Interesting article and point!

I have friends down in the Houston area that coach at the HS level.  It's rare you'll find a grass field down there.  Several of those schools use a "turf shoe".  Kind of like an indoor soccer shoe. Small, soft cleats that still give you the grip you need but doesn't stick like normal cleats.  When it rains, they do use normal cleats. Just a thought. 

• Like 2