JaMarcus Russell, NO. 1 Pick this April?

SirMixAlot

I think if you draft a running back you are better off. Running backs provide more for the offense in the NLF. However, Jordan is still there for OAK, I think that Russell might be the better pick.

A QB that can scramble some and has the arm strength to make it in the NFL.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've said for a while he is my favorite quarterback out of the top 3 people are saying considering going out for the draft (Quinn, Brohm, Russell) He can throw the ball a country mile and run. On top of this I think he has the ability to cover up some mistakes with arm strength.... I've heard him compared to Culpepper when Culpepper was something...

First, in general I hate taking ANY QB in the top 10 picks. Unless its a sure-fire, no doubter, this guy can't miss(ex. P. Manning, Palmer?). Too many busts compared to booms......... In general, the "other" talent that is taken in the first round tends to do a little better than QB's as far as productivity and length of career. But the QB's that do live up to the billing usually do it very, very well. QB in the NFL has little to nothing to do with arm strength. Sure, it's great to have a guy that can throw a 35 yard out on the money, but you don't have to be able to. Some of the best QB's in the league don't have a ton of zip on the ball or a lot of arm strength. Mike Vick has an amazing arm, not much of a QB though.

Which leads me to #2. I don't think Russell is that guy. I didn't think Daunte was that guy. I won $200 of one of my friends because he swore(actually wrote a 5 page dissertation) that Culpepper would be the Dolphins savior. LSU has NOT had much success on offense during Russell's year's at the helm, and when they did have a lot of success, I don't think he was the "main" guy. Look at the offensive talent out of LSU in the last 3 years.....Addai, Whitworth, Green, Wilkerson, and I'm sure there were several more I'm leaving out(I believe there was a TE and another RB if I'm not mistaken).

Davis has drafted 24 QB's, and only one.....Ken Stabler lasted in the league for more than three seasons. :sssh:

Thats not true, Steve Beuerlein comes to mind as does Marques Tuiasosopo, Billy Joe Hobert, Rusty Hilger, Marc Wilson, David Humm, & Mike Rae.

While this list certainly doesn't support that the Raiders have had a good record drafting QBs, all of these guys hung around on rosters in the league for at least 3 season or more.

Everyone know the Raiders need a QB more than anything. Besides an O-Line & you are not going to waste the #1 pick with an offensive lineman. If so then go with Joe Thomas, offensive tackle from Wisconsin. But they will most likely go with the QB. But which one? Quinn, Russell or Brohm. IMO it's between Russell & Brohm. When it comes down to it, whoever the QB is will have to be able to run outside the pocket. That is Russell so most likely he will be the player chosen. If Brohm is not chosen #1 by the Raiders then he would definitely be chosen #2 by the Lions. right? Quinn could possibly slide all the way down to the 14 spot to the Bills. Would the Raiders spend the pick on Calvin Johnson to go along with Moss? With Al Davis at the helm anything is possible & if that is the case then Davis has to be the 2nd worst Owner in history. Besides the Lions owner of course.

112 days, 10 hours, 11 minutes & 10 seconds until this is all settled

Thats not true, Steve Beuerlein comes to mind as does Marques Tuiasosopo, Billy Joe Hobert, Rusty Hilger, Marc Wilson, David Humm, & Mike Rae.

While this list certainly doesn't support that the Raiders have had a good record drafting QBs, all of these guys hung around on rosters in the league for at least 3 season or more.

This was just a stat threw out by Bill Plachske yesterday on Around the Horn. I was sure he said still in league but maybe he said most were out in three years and the ones who weren't wasn't with the Raiders either. Only one I can still think of with the Raiders after that amount of time however is Tuiasosopo, but was he maybe signed as a free agent rather than drafted??

This was just a stat threw out by Bill Plachske yesterday on Around the Horn. I was sure he said still in league but maybe he said most were out in three years and the ones who weren't wasn't with the Raiders either. Only one I can still think of with the Raiders after that amount of time however is Tuiasosopo, but was he maybe signed as a free agent rather than drafted??

Drafted by the Raiders 2001 2nd round 59th overall.

Also Marc Wilson spent 8 years with the Raiders, played 96 games over that span. David Humm spent his first 5 years in the league as a Raider, played 2 years for the Baltimore Colts, and spent his final 2 again as a Raider.

I know your just repeating what Plaschke said, but I hate those talking heads on that show that will claim anything to make a point whether it is correct or not.

We all know that Al Davis loves going after African American quarterbacks. Son of Bear, you are dead on. They need someone big enough to take the constant pounding from that horrible offensive line.

???I can think of two, Vince Evans and Aaron Brooks. If Al is smart he will address other needs and maybe go after another FA QB. What is the contract status of Garcia, he's from NoCal, could be a good QB until they get a youngster to take over.

First, in general I hate taking ANY QB in the top 10 picks. Unless its a sure-fire, no doubter, this guy can't miss(ex. P. Manning, Palmer?). Too many busts compared to booms......... In general, the "other" talent that is taken in the first round tends to do a little better than QB's as far as productivity and length of career. But the QB's that do live up to the billing usually do it very, very well. QB in the NFL has little to nothing to do with arm strength. Sure, it's great to have a guy that can throw a 35 yard out on the money, but you don't have to be able to. Some of the best QB's in the league don't have a ton of zip on the ball or a lot of arm strength. Mike Vick has an amazing arm, not much of a QB though.

Which leads me to #2. I don't think Russell is that guy. I didn't think Daunte was that guy. I won $200 of one of my friends because he swore(actually wrote a 5 page dissertation) that Culpepper would be the Dolphins savior. LSU has NOT had much success on offense during Russell's year's at the helm, and when they did have a lot of success, I don't think he was the "main" guy. Look at the offensive talent out of LSU in the last 3 years.....Addai, Whitworth, Green, Wilkerson, and I'm sure there were several more I'm leaving out(I believe there was a TE and another RB if I'm not mistaken).

You might want to look up the stats on LSU's offense with Russell. He had a QB rating of 168 heading into the bowl game. In looking into the stats prior to the game LSU's offensive numbers were generally as good or better than ND. JaMarcus stacked up quite well against Brady Quinn (thought to be a #1 for some time). JaMarcus will get his shot early in the first round. I woudn't have thought that earlier this season. I agree that in general taking a QB #1 doesn't work out. FYI, none of those "Sure fire, no doubter" types you mentioned have led their team to the super bowl while several mid rounders have. Go figure.