Forgiving Student Loans

Beechwoodfan

4 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

We’re the students defrauded in some way? We’re they lied to? Was nothing clear? Anyone who tales a loan out knows you are going to spend much more than you borrowed.

As I said before, I am all for zero interest rates to help people pay, and believe future loans should be examined.  As someone who worked her way through college and worked hard to pay her children's way to college, I feel insulted and disrespected.  I listen every day at work to people whine about getting their loans paid off.

i have paid off every debt I ever owed my entire life.  Seems like the right thing to do.

To be blunt, I couldn’t care less if people who paid their way through college feel insulted or disrespected. And I paid mine off. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheDeuce said:

To be blunt, I couldn’t care less if people who paid their way through college feel insulted or disrespected. And I paid mine off. 

So, you don’t feel good about paying your loans off? You worked hard to accomplish this and yet feel students should be able to slack off and not pay what they owe?

5 minutes ago, Beechwoodfan said:

So, you don’t feel good about paying your loans off? You worked hard to accomplish this and yet feel students should be able to slack off and not pay what they owe?

I was fortunate to be able to pay mine off. Everyone doesn’t have that same fortune. I think the system is designed to rip students and their parents off. It’s based on greed, higher education as a whole is. I would much rather people not even have the option to take out loans, than be given loans that the lenders know the vast majority will never pay back. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Randy Parker said:

I want to give employers freedom, but I am with you here.  A degree, to me, means you know the job.  It doesn't mean you can do it.  And it certainly doesn't mean you can do it well.

Saw an interview once, where the guy said the only thing a bachelor's degree means to him (as someone hiring) is that you've got dedication.  That's it.  Yeah, there will be some knowledge accumulation over those 4 years...but, for him, it meant that you were willing to show up and do what you were told.  He said he would teach you what you really needed to know, specific to his job needs.  But, he didn't want to necessarily waste time on someone that was going to quit after two weeks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

I guess I’m a cynic. To me, having a degree just means you’re good at memorizing information. If you can memorize things, you can graduate from college and not retain one ounce of what you learned. That somehow means you’re more qualified to do a certain job than someone who doesn’t have a degree? In some cases sure, but not all. 

Waaay back in the day, when I was in UC's Aerospace Engineering program, I had a physics professor who had a philosophy that I wish other's had shared.  When it came time for tests, he always allowed open notes (not necessarily open book, but anything that you had written down).  His explanation was so "out of the box" compared to other professors.

He said, if you think that NASA is going to expect you to use only your memory to help calculate the (insert whatever) on the space shuttle, and trust your results, it ain't gonna happen.  He said it was more important to him (and I guess NASA, lol) that we knew where to find the correct formula to use, then identify what each variable was, and subsequently, where to plug to them in, and then, ultimately, do the calculation.  He said too often, teachers want to test/measure something that is usually always available/provided in real-world situations.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Waaay back in the day, when I was in UC's Aerospace Engineering program, I had a physics professor who had a philosophy that I wish other's had shared.  When it came time for tests, he always allowed open notes (not necessarily open book, but anything that you had written down).  His explanation was so "out of the box" compared to other professors.

He said, if you think that NASA is going to expect you to use only your memory to help calculate the (insert whatever) on the space shuttle, and trust your results, it ain't gonna happen.  He said it was more important to him (and I guess NASA, lol) that we knew where to find the correct formula to use, then identify what each variable was, and subsequently, where to plug to them in, and then, ultimately, do the calculation.  He said too often, teachers want to test/measure something that is usually always available/provided in real-world situations.

First of all, what a flex. LOL That's awesome. I'm jealous!

Love the professors logic, I completely agree with it. Those people are literal geniuses, but they still can't retain all that information. It's impossible. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

This is especially true now with cell phones and google.  This is a great philosophy on teaching because it is rewarding detail in note taking which is more important than regurgitating information.  

Now surgeons on the operating table...I want them to know what the heck they are doing!

• Like 1

Just now, TheDeuce said:

First of all, what a flex. LOL That's awesome. I'm jealous!

Love the professors logic, I completely agree with it. Those people are literal geniuses, but they still can't retain all that information. It's impossible. 

Don't be.  I should have elaborated more...was only in it for five quarters (four of which I was considered on academic probation).  Calculus was the main culprit.  And since the physics class was calculus-based...you can see where it could end badly.  My country-bumpkin high school education came nowhere near preparing me for that (and I was a good HS student).  

I was ready to be done after the first year, but my dad talked me into giving it a second try.  So, I re-took a calculus class during summer-school at Akron to catch up.  But the fall and winter quarter were just more of the same.  So, I was done.  What was really weird, though, was since I had already paid for the spring quarter, I just took a bunch of electives (knowing that they'd most likely be needed in whatever else I transferred to).  Made the freakin' Dean's list.  That gave me some perspective on just how hard those engineering classes were.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

Don't be.  I should have elaborated more...was only in it for five quarters (four of which I was considered on academic probation).  Calculus was the main culprit.  And since the physics class was calculus-based...you can see where it could end badly.  My country-bumpkin high school education came nowhere near preparing me for that (and I was a good HS student).  

I was ready to be done after the first year, but my dad talked me into giving it a second try.  So, I re-took a calculus class during summer-school at Akron to catch up.  But the fall and winter quarter were just more of the same.  So, I was done.  What was really weird, though, was since I had already paid for the spring quarter, I just took a bunch of electives (knowing that they'd most likely be needed in whatever else I transferred to).  Made the freakin' Dean's list.  That gave me some perspective on just how hard those engineering classes were.

Hey, you gave it a try. Two sounds like! While my high school education wasn't of the country bumpkin variety, I can definitely relate to not being prepared for college. 

1 hour ago, CincySportsFan said:

The professor was 100% accurate.

1 hour ago, CincySportsFan said:

My high school physics professor did a combination of old school you have to know it all, open notes, and partner tests in my high school physics class, he was way ahead of the curve and his logic was exactly as you described.  When I took physics at NKU it was you have to know it all.  Finally, when I went to "big boy" school at Northwestern and then later at North Florida it was a combination of open notes, open formulas, open book, and you have to know it all, again for exactly the reasons you mentioned.