Cardinals at Reds (4/22 - 4/24)

2 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

And a day off for Jonathan India to maybe clean up his image.  What an eye roll.

No, what a perfect example of how our standards have fallen.  Everybody worships the Big Red Machine, but you might also notice that they respected the game and maintained an image of professionalism.  The current generation of fans either look the other way, or accept it as these guys simply expressing their individuality, which is a crock.  Unfortunately, I guess the players union have overridden any team rules or imposed requirements.  If it feels good - just do it. 

Our whole dissertation started when I cited that I wouldn't want some of these players being my kid's role model.  I like India.  He played through injury last year, works hard, hustles, and checks all of the boxes short of image.  I suggested that a trim of his present wild and unruly head of hair would increase his image and earn some respect with the public.  And yes, there are still standards and codes that exist in some professions.  When was the last time that you saw a male police officer with hair hanging halfway down his back???  

Respect the game.  Give something back to it.

7 hours ago, Mustang said:

No, what a perfect example of how our standards have fallen.  Everybody worships the Big Red Machine, but you might also notice that they respected the game and maintained an image of professionalism.  The current generation of fans either look the other way, or accept it as these guys simply expressing their individuality, which is a crock.  Unfortunately, I guess the players union have overridden any team rules or imposed requirements.  If it feels good - just do it. 

Our whole dissertation started when I cited that I wouldn't want some of these players being my kid's role model.  I like India.  He played through injury last year, works hard, hustles, and checks all of the boxes short of image.  I suggested that a trim of his present wild and unruly head of hair would increase his image and earn some respect with the public.  And yes, there are still standards and codes that exist in some professions.  When was the last time that you saw a male police officer with hair hanging halfway down his back???  

The Big Red Machine had a player banned from baseball for breaking the number one cardinal rule, sure shows a lot of respect for the game.

Same player has been accused of sleeping with a 15 year old woman.

People worship the Big Red Machine cause they won. 

And you are comparing guys who are paid to play a game vs. those paid by tax payer dollars to serve society. There's no comparison.

I am not sure I will ever understand your side of this debate, and I get a #2 fade lol.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

The Big Red Machine had a player banned from baseball for breaking the number one cardinal rule, sure shows a lot of respect for the game.

And you are comparing guys who are paid to play a game vs. those paid by tax payer dollars to serve society. There's no comparison.

I am not sure I will ever understand your side of this debate, and I get a #2 fade lol.

There's no changing some people's minds no matter what facts are brought out.  It just doesn't fit their narrative.  But maybe we are in the wrong?  Having "wild and unruly hair" is apparently disrespectful to the game of baseball.  Give me a break.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mustang said:

Right, wrong. or indifferent, I'm with you on this matter.

• Like 1

There is nothing wrong with being expected to be respectable.

"And you are comparing guys who are paid to play a game (and represent our city) vs. those paid by tax payer dollars to serve society? There's no comparison."   Yes, You betcha!!!

Again you are all dashing right past the crux of my argument, which is that I don't want long-haired scraggly, inked up people serving as a role model to my son.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mustang said:

"And you are comparing guys who are paid to play a game (and represent our city) vs. those paid by tax payer dollars to serve society? There's no comparison."   Yes, You betcha!!!

Again you are all dashing right past the crux of my argument, which is that I don't want long-haired scraggly, inked up people serving as a role model to my son.

Not dashing at all. Totally realize that's the crux of your argument, thus my reaction.

Pretty weak reasons to not respect someone, especially when they have all other attributes that make them rather successful at their profession.

But I recognize your stance and respect you're right to that opinion, I just think its ridiculous and wrong.

• Like 2

Back on topic. 

Reds get Sims back in the bullpen. Senzel is back and was putting together decent AB's to show he was getting back to speed, and Tommy Pham looks to be hitting well. 

Is tonight the night we break the streak?? Hunter Greene is on the mound! 

The MLB record to a losing streak is 23 games by the 1961 Phillies. That's insane. 

To match that feat the reds would not win again until the night cap of the doubleheader against the Pirates on May 7th. 

It would be 26 calendar days in between wins...

• Like 1

The 1982 Braves are the last team with a double digit losing streak and still make the playoffs. They lost 11 games in a row and immediately followed that by going 27-21 after the streak and eventually taking the division crown. 

Let's hope the Reds don't hit the double digit mark! 

3 hours ago, Mustang said:

This begs the question, can any person with long scraggly hair be a role model, you know, like Jesus for example?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

In no way am I taking up for Pete.  He was raised up in a different generation.  My parents were his age born in 1941.  They got married at 16 and stayed together till my mom passed at 58.  Pete was and never will be the sharpest tool in the shed.  To accomplish what he did would be very unlikely this day and time.  As for gambling, look at the world we live in.  Of all the major sports I would guess that baseball is becoming more entwined with gambling as any of them.  I grew up with the Big Red Machine, so I'm invested with the Reds for the rest of my life.  I would say there were a lot of things with that team no one knows about.  Reason being is the media is a thousand more times involved with every aspect of an athletes life than ever before.  Unfortunately with the world we live in. Doesn't seem to be many folks saying, "Well, that's their business.  So I'll just stay out of it..."

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Da champ said:

In no way am I taking up for Pete.  He was raised up in a different generation.  My parents were his age born in 1941.  They got married at 16 and stayed together till my mom passed at 58.  Pete was and never will be the sharpest tool in the shed.  To accomplish what he did would be very unlikely this day and time.  As for gambling, look at the world we live in.  Of all the major sports I would guess that baseball is becoming more entwined with gambling as any of them.  I grew up with the Big Red Machine, so I'm invested with the Reds for the rest of my life.  I would say there were a lot of things with that team no one knows about.  Reason being is the media is a thousand more times involved with every aspect of an athletes life than ever before.  Unfortunately with the world we live in. Doesn't seem to be many folks saying, "Well, that's their business.  So I'll just stay out of it..."

I hear ya and understand your point. But if we should accept thats just how the older generation did things back then, Id imagine that should be reciprocated for the generation of ball players now.

But even then, its a stretch because its hard to accept something that should put you in jail and something else that banned ya from the sport vs. just having long hair and tattoos.

Saying India doesn't respect the game of baseball is pretty ridiculous.

• Like 2