Cardinals at Reds (4/22 - 4/24)

17 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

80 degrees and perfect weather.  Cardinals in town.  Young stud on the mound for the first time at GABP. First Firework Friday of the season.  Bengals throwing out the first pitch.

Really interested to see the crowd size tonight.

Announced just under 20,500.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Announced just under 20,500.

1 hour ago, theguru said:

I want to hear the answer here too.

All things considered I think 20k is pretty bad.

Reds attendance from 2019, pre-COVID:

Saturday April 13 vs. St. Louis .... 16,496

Sunday April 14 vs St. Louis .... 16,793

In 2019, outside of Opening Day, the Reds did not hit 20,000 in attendance in a game until May 3.

In 2018, the Reds hosted the Cardinals in a 4 game series April 12-15, not a single game reached 20,000 in attendance.

The 20,500 attendance from last night actually is above average for similar Reds home games in recent years.

• Thanks 1

Continuing on Reds attendance. The big drop in attendance for the Reds happened in 2016. They dropped by over 500,000 fans in 2016. They also cut payroll that year by $35,000,000. If you rebuild it, they will not come. I believe this season will be the lowest attendance in any full schedule year since Castellini has owned the team.

The 4 years with the highest attendance under Castellini were 2012-2015. Three of those years, the Reds payroll was over $100 million. In 2012, payroll was $80 million and the Reds were in the playoffs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Continuing on Reds attendance. The big drop in attendance for the Reds happened in 2016. They dropped by over 500,000 fans in 2016. They also cut payroll that year by $35,000,000. If you rebuild it, they will not come. I believe this season will be the lowest attendance in any full schedule year since Castellini has owned the team.

The 4 years with the highest attendance under Castellini were 2012-2015. Three of those years, the Reds payroll was over $100 million. In 2012, payroll was $80 million and the Reds were in the playoffs.

Follow the money...

And did you mean if you rebuild it, they will come?

12 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Are people concerned that Greene didn't touch 100 MPH last night?

His fastball was down almost 5 mph and he couldn't control it.  Hopefully he's just been a little too jacked up with being in the big leagues and has some arm fatigue.  As long as we don't hear a report about the dreaded forearm tightness he should be okay.   Of course, this could be a harbinger that, like Chapman and Iglesias, he isn't meant to be a starter and needs to be used in shorter outings out of the pen.  

Just now, Carl Spackler said:

How'd they ever win 2? 

The only thing I can guess is since then the illness going through the clubhouse is wreaking havoc and some guys are playing less than 100%, coupled with the actual injuries. The lineup wasn’t AS bad in that first series. Far from great, but not last in the league awful.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

The only thing I can guess is since then the illness going through the clubhouse is wreaking havoc and some guys are playing less than 100%, coupled with the actual injuries. The lineup wasn’t AS bad in that first series. Far from great, but not last in the league awful.

You were correct in your earlier post, they stink.