Best Radio Announcer in The State?

I know we've kind of moved passed it but anyone who uses the phrase, "And

he was hacked in the act," and thinks its Shakespearean prose on radio needs

some work. While I must admit he's better than he used to be, the Russell

play-by-play guy is very much sub-par.

I believe Jim Forrest at Greenup (who is the same guy who was at Morehead)

was teamed up with a veteran broadcaster (whose name escapes me right

now.) This seems to have helped him along this year. Aside from his overuse

of the phrase "GCHS Athletics" he does a good job, one that, in time, may

rival the play-by-play of a one Dickie Martin, though right now I would give

Dickie the edge.

Not to take away anything from Mr. Van Hoose because he is very knowledge-

able about the game, but he interrupts the play-by-play guy, thus retarding

the growth of the lead broadcaster. I like the insight, I don't like the timing.

I think 107.1 could take a play from the Greenup station and either hire a

good play-by-play man or at least put the current one with a broadcasting

veteran to develop his skills because the Russell games on radio are very

unprofessional at this point as evidenced by his adoption of the Van Hoose

nickname system (i.e. It's okay for one to do it, but not both of them.)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Mr. Vanhoose does a very good job in analysing the action. He knows the game and communicates it very well. The play by play guy is new so give him a little time.

The play by play guy is not new...He has covered Russell bball games for at least 3 years now I believe...

Another vote for Danny Weddle at WFTM. Not a ranting homer, no reliance on cutesy nicknames for the home fans' amusement. Just a solid professional who knows the game he's broadcasting and is always prepared. Also does a good job during the post-game interviews in terms of asking cogent questions and making intelligent

May wife and I listen to Mason County and St. Patrick games over the internet. Both Danny Waddle and Philip Hay do very professional jobs. They are able to describe the action so one is able to visualize what is happening on the floor and this is the mark of a professional.

Two years ago, Ashland played Mason County in football, and I had heard a lot of good things about the Mason radio crew. Both the Ashland and Mason calls for the game were on the internet, so I took the opportunity to listen to Martin for the first and third quarters, then Weddle for the second and fourth.

I have to say that both did an excellent job calling the game. It didn't matter which crew you listened to - both were very professional about keeping you up to speed about what was going on on the field, and both were right on top of the names of all the athletes.

I have no doubt that there are other very good crews around the state, but for my money, these two radio teams take a back seat to no one.

As for the Russell crew, I do believe that the play by play man is getting better, and I hope he continues to do so. Like most on here, I find the nicknames to be a distraction. Not that the nicknames aren't cute, but they should be used extremely sparingly, as opposed to being used as the basis for the call of the game.

Frances