Best Radio Announcer in The State?

I once heard "some-relation's" name called a few times and thought that one of the teams had a foreign exchange student of the floor. Then after a few minutes of listening to the broadcast, I figured out that I was not listening to an XFL game but a Russell game

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Classic!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, it wasnt the first time, and surely not the last. However, I havent heard one good thing about the Russell radio guys on this thread except for what you have been saying. Maybe I'm not the only one who thinks its confusing.

:thumb: There are many more that feel the same way.

When broadcasting a game, kids should be called by their actual names. Bottom line. It makes it easier for everyone who is listening to the games. The last game I listened to I was setting beside a recent graduate of Russell and he even thought the nicknames made the game hard to follow. When reading the box scores in the paper does the Russell column list stats with names like: "some relation","freeze","big stack" and "a rob" with their points following ? Did J. Vanhooses sign his college papers as "some relation" ? These kids have real names, that many across the region and state know, they should be called by them. I dont think its fair for the casual listener who has been hearing about what a great athelete Vanhoose is to have to try and figure out who he is and how many points he has while listening to a Russell game because they call him and everyone else on the court by some nick name. I dont know if the play by play men at Russell think its clever or what the deal is with the whole nick name scheme, but in all honesty, it just complicates things for the listener.

When broadcasting a game, kids should be called by their actual names. Bottom line. It makes it easier for everyone who is listening to the games. The last game I listened to I was setting beside a recent graduate of Russell and he even thought the nicknames made the game hard to follow. When reading the box scores in the paper does the Russell column list stats with names like: "some relation","freeze","big stack" and "a rob" with their points following ? Did J. Vanhooses sign his college papers as "some relation" ? These kids have real names, that many across the region and state know, they should be called by them. I dont think its fair for the casual listener who has been hearing about what a great athelete Vanhoose is to have to try and figure out who he is and how many points he has while listening to a Russell game because they call him and everyone else on the court by some nick name. I dont know if the play by play men at Russell think its clever or what the deal is with the whole nick name scheme, but in all honesty, it just complicates things for the listener.

:thumb: :thumb: Very well said.

In NKY, the CovCath internet radio guys do a good job! They paint a good picure of the game, seem to have some fun, and do a good job of getting the fans involved via their e-mails!! Mustang, the founder of internet broadcasts up here, does a great job as well. Very good play-by-play, insightful, and a great knowledge of the game and it's history!! Danny Weddle from Maysville does a good job too.

I agree, him and his color guy do a great job. :thumb: I really enjoyed listening to them the other day. I tried to listen to Russell's during the 5/3 to give updates...well needless to say...that was a lost cause..I had the program in front of me and still didn't know who they were talking about.

One word of advice I would like to give to all announcers is to give the score and time in the game more often. I was trying to give updates of the Male / Catholic game and it was difficult. I do appreciate knowing who scored and what is going on in the game, but also would like to know the score and time too.

Unfortuately I would have to say Dickie is the best in this area.

I can understand you saying unfortunately being a BC fan. I also believe that Martin is very good and I don't mind the "homerism's" as long as he keeps it respectable towards the opposing players. I expect him to be a homer, he is and I don't have a problem with that part of it. Martin does an excellent play by play.