College Football Players Skipping Bowl Games

MaddenCurse44

9 minutes ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

If I was the college I would send the player a bill for his scholarship that he didn't honor.

If you do that, good luck on getting any recruit with NFL aspirations to come to your school.

Where's your thread on when coaches leave before a bowl game?  In my opinion, that's much worse than a kid skipping a bowl game to avoid injury that could cost them millions.

I don't blame any player for skipping a meaningless bowl game and they are all meaningless other than the the four teams in the playoffs.  Furthermore, a player should be able to leave college football after one year just like college basketball players.  In short, colleges exploit the players. 

• Like 3

A player skipping a bowl game might cost himself money. A big performance in a bowl game puts more film out for scouts and coaches. If facing a great opponent or opposing player, it is a chance to show scouts how good you are and move higher in the draft. If you are a guaranteed 1st round pick, I can see not playing. Everyone else should play. Take out insurance to protect against injury and play.

• Like 1

When Pitts' starting QB went down, I began rooting for them.
But when I found out the 3rd string QB was playing because their true starting QB had decided to sit the game out, I now want Michigan State to crush them. The Pitt team needs to feel the effect of their starting QB abandoning them.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan but it is what it is.  As a player I see more upside to going out for your team, being a leader and putting on a great performance on a bigger than usual stage. However. If you're not 100% or working on something, whatever that may be, I guess I could support the decision to not play. 

7 hours ago, brown4 said:

If you do that, good luck on getting any recruit with NFL aspirations to come to your school.

Where's your thread on when coaches leave before a bowl game?  In my opinion, that's much worse than a kid skipping a bowl game to avoid injury that could cost them millions.

Many high draft choices purchase insurance to insure themselves. Big dollars....NIL will help offset cost.

1 hour ago, Bluto said:

When Pitts' starting QB went down, I began rooting for them.
But when I found out the 3rd string QB was playing because their true starting QB had decided to sit the game out, I now want Michigan State to crush them. The Pitt team needs to feel the effect of their starting QB abandoning them.

Michigan States top running back isn't playing either.   So didn't he abandon his team?   Still rooting for MI ST?   Is it just a QB thing?   This is the present and future of college sports.   You can't gripe because the athletes are now treating it like a business, like the NCAA and the schools have been for decades.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, MaddenCurse44 said:

Team sport not one player is bigger than the team all players should be all in. I hope NFL teams snub kids that don't play.

That will never happen because the NFL and its players know it's a business.  If Kenny Pickett helps you win football games, you draft him.

Say he had played today, and injured his shoulder, in a game that is essentially meaningless, and can no longer play football.   The ACC and Pitt get money out of that game.  Will he see any of it?  Not likely.   Would the University or the ACC provide compensation for the potential millions he lost as a would be first round pick.  No.  He'd get a pat on the back, thanks for trying, we might have a grad assistant job for ya.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

A player skipping a bowl game might cost himself money. A big performance in a bowl game puts more film out for scouts and coaches. If facing a great opponent or opposing player, it is a chance to show scouts how good you are and move higher in the draft. If you are a guaranteed 1st round pick, I can see not playing. Everyone else should play. Take out insurance to protect against injury and play.

I think it would be extremely rare instances where one game makes any difference, especially with Pro Days, combines, etc. It's not going to make a 4th rounder a 1st rounder, and a 2nd rounder can make their way into the 1st round during Pro Days and the combine. 

The risks far outweigh the reward, especially outside of the CFP. 

• Like 1