12 Team Playoff Is Coming

Walter

18 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

16 is fine, I'm still going to hate having automatic qualifiers but it is what it is.

If 16 is the number, then first round and maybe 2nd round on campus. At least one round completed prior to Christmas. A second round around New Years. Then a week off before third round and fourth round. Ideally title game would be the week prior to the Superbowl. 

Just my way of thinking on it. 

The argument against a 16 team playoff has always been the 4 additional games that 2 teams will play.  With college squads at 80 plus players, I don't really see why that is an issue.  The thing that 16 teams does allow is the AQ's aren't as big of a deal.  There is wiggle room for that.

1 hour ago, REALSPORT said:

The argument against a 16 team playoff has always been the 4 additional games that 2 teams will play.  With college squads at 80 plus players, I don't really see why that is an issue.  The thing that 16 teams does allow is the AQ's aren't as big of a deal.  There is wiggle room for that.

Nearly every team has a core of about 30 players that get the lions share of the playing time. Teams don't go deeper than that unless it is a blow out. 17 games for the players in the finals is a lot to ask. 

16 makes sense if there are 3 super conferences (SEC, B1G, Big12)....A lot of speculation that the Big 10, SEC, and Big 12 will be 20 team conferences within the next 3-5 years.... With the ACC and Pac 10 being no more. 

Screenshot_20220728-184006.png

Screenshot_20220728-183912.png

On 7/28/2022 at 11:48 AM, Jumper_Dad said:

Nearly every team has a core of about 30 players that get the lions share of the playing time. Teams don't go deeper than that unless it is a blow out. 17 games for the players in the finals is a lot to ask. 

High school teams that make it to the State Championship game play 17 games in a year if you include the two scrimmages. NFL teams play 17 regular season games. The lower level divisions in college has had playoffs and many games for years. I’m not sure why everyone has always seemed to have an issue with top level college teams playing more games though and possibly playing 17. Especially when you consider that with players now making money on NIL deals. It also probably helps those players get even more deals with big performances in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, futurecoach said:

High school teams that make it to the State Championship game play 17 games in a year if you include the two scrimmages. NFL teams play 17 regular season games. The lower level divisions in college has had playoffs and many games for years. I’m not sure why everyone has always seemed to have an issue with top level college teams playing more games though and possibly playing 17. Especially when you consider that with players now making money on NIL deals. It also probably helps those players get even more deals with big performances in the playoffs. 

Exactly fc, this has always been another paper tiger argument. 

9 hours ago, futurecoach said:

I get that. But you can't compare the wear and tear of any high school season to that of big boy college football. The pros play more but they are being handsomely rewarded for those extra games.

The fact that others play several games doesn't lessen the impact on college players. 

It is what it is, they are going to play them anyway...and I'll enjoy every one of them.

On 7/28/2022 at 10:48 AM, Jumper_Dad said:

If that were truly an issue, they could easily drop some of their useless games where they pay someone to come take a beating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DragonFire said:

If that were truly an issue, they could easily drop some of their useless games where they pay someone to come take a beating.

Anything but easy. Those games pay the bills for both teams. No reason to cut everyone's season to 10 games when only a handful of teams could potentially play those extra games.

I like college football as much as anyone, the more the better. But I still feel a 17 game season is awfully long.

4 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I get that. But you can't compare the wear and tear of any high school season to that of big boy college football. The pros play more but they are being handsomely rewarded for those extra games.

The fact that others play several games doesn't lessen the impact on college players. 

It is what it is, they are going to play them anyway...and I'll enjoy every one of them.

Those extra games in the playoffs are most likely going to get players more money in NIL deals. Plus these extra games for playoffs, is much better than the old system of so many players on teams having to play games in meaningless bowl games, just for their school to make money. At least players now in the playoffs are truly actually playing for something in these extra games. Not to mention prevents meaningless injuries in bowl games that mean nothing. Since most players with NFL chances will now sit out of bowl games, if their team isn’t in the playoffs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Anything but easy. Those games pay the bills for both teams. No reason to cut everyone's season to 10 games when only a handful of teams could potentially play those extra games.

I like college football as much as anyone, the more the better. But I still feel a 17 game season is awfully long.

The power teams could not possibly care less about the little guys, so let's ignore that aspect of it.  There is much more money to be made in playoff games than there will ever be in some boring noon beatdown.  So that doesn't hold water as a counter argument.

Four games in the postseason for the teams that make the title game, plus a conference championship game (likely) for the postseason teams.  Add nine conference games, that's 14 games.  Play 1-2 out of conference games and be done with it.  Alabama played 15 games last year - I don't see squabbling over two more, but there are paths to keeping the number the same. 

4 hours ago, DragonFire said:

The power teams could not possibly care less about the little guys, so let's ignore that aspect of it.  There is much more money to be made in playoff games than there will ever be in some boring noon beatdown.  So that doesn't hold water as a counter argument.

Four games in the postseason for the teams that make the title game, plus a conference championship game (likely) for the postseason teams.  Add nine conference games, that's 14 games.  Play 1-2 out of conference games and be done with it.  Alabama played 15 games last year - I don't see squabbling over two more, but there are paths to keeping the number the same. 

It's not just about not caring for the little guys. Power Conference also rans need the extra home games too. Extra ticket sales, more traffic for local booster's businesses...those games against the nobodies mean quite a bit for the non elite schools.

• 5 weeks later...