Jump to content

12 Team Playoff Is Coming


Walter
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Apples and oranges, most of the auto-bid sports have numerous teams getting into the playoffs. Everyone that really deserves to get in does for the most part. With just 12 teams allowed in there is a great chance that 1 or 2 deserving teams could be left out to make way for a 7-5 or 8-4 conference champ. 

I don't know the answer but would be willing to bet that you can count on one hand the number of 4 or 5 loss conference champions over the past 10 years. 

And I have no problem giving all conference champs a bid, but would need to expand to 16 teams.  That's not a popular set-up from what I've heard.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, REALSPORT said:

I don't know the answer but would be willing to bet that you can count on one hand the number of 4 or 5 loss conference champions over the past 10 years. 

And I have no problem giving all conference champs a bid, but would need to expand to 16 teams.  That's not a popular set-up from what I've heard.

I agree, it doesn't happen often. In fact in nearly all of the last 10 years the conference champs would have gotten in on their own merit. That's all I'm wanting, let teams that deserve to be in it, get in it. Then in the odd year there is a 4 or 5 loss conference champ, leave them out and allow a more deserving team to get in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have no problem with the Auto Bids... That still leaves 7 spots for "more deserving" teams to get in. 

Very rarely are you going to see a P5 conference champ with more than 1 or 2 losses, let alone a conference champ with 4 or 5 losses.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I agree, it doesn't happen often. In fact in nearly all of the last 10 years the conference champs would have gotten in on their own merit. That's all I'm wanting, let teams that deserve to be in it, get in it. Then in the odd year there is a 4 or 5 loss conference champ, leave them out and allow a more deserving team to get in.

And herein lies the problem.  Nobody can/will say at the beginning of the season what the definition of "deserving" is. 

* Win all your games?  Teams have done that, and never gotten a sniff of the playoffs, so that's not it. 

* Do you have to come from a Power 5 conference?  You can't even say that, given that the current playoff setup only allows for 4 teams...so, somebody was always guaranteed of getting left out.  (Yes, this could/would be addressed if expansion happens.)  

* How about they win by a certain amount?  Well, what is that number...10...14...20...25...30+?  And is that an average, or do you have to go game-by-game?  I mean, Alabama has outscored their opponents in their wins by 277 points, an average of about 25 points per game.  UC, on the other hand, is at 285 points, or around 24 per game.  Yet, UC gets marked down on having one score games against a 3-8 team (7 point win) and a 6-6 team (8 point victory)...but Bama barely moves in the rankings by having games with margins of 2, 2, 6, and 7 points against teams that went 6-6, 6-6, 6-6 and 8-4. 

* What about their out-of-conference schedule?  Sure, sounds good, right?  But, UC gets nicked because Indiana wasn't that good this year...but, Alabama has gotten a yearly pass for scheduling FCS teams like Western Carolina, Mercer, The Citadel, Chattanooga and Charleston Southern. 

Look, all I am saying is that there is nothing but a bunch of gray areas in which people decide what they deem to be important, and thus, what team is deserving.  There are many aspects that teams just have little to no control over....like how your opponents do in the the rest of their games.  So, why are we holding that against them?

At the end of the day, there is literally only one item that matters...did you win or not?  That's it.  So, settle the dang thing on the field. 

I know you said you don't want to see the likes of a Mountain West team get slaughtered by an SEC team.  But just for giggles, San Diego State beat Utah, who knocked off Oregon, who beat Ohio State, who defeated Penn State, who beat Auburn, who just lost to the mighty Alabama by 2, in overtime.  Now I know you can't do that, to predict how a team will do.  But, to utterly dismiss them and say they'd have absolutely no chance is just as ridiculous.

So let in the 10 conference champions, and I'll give you 6 more "wild-card" teams to help balance any "irregularities" (scheduling/injuries/conference strength/tie-breakers/etc.) that occurred during the regular season.  Sure, there may be a blowout when an undefeated 1-seed plays a 4-loss 16-seed.  But, hey, we just saw that a couple of weeks ago when OSU blew the doors off what people deemed the #2 team in the country (MSU).  It can happen.  It has happened.  And it will happen again.  That's football.  Some teams just match up better against others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, CincySportsFan said:

And herein lies the problem.  Nobody can/will say at the beginning of the season what the definition of "deserving" is. 

* Win all your games?  Teams have done that, and never gotten a sniff of the playoffs, so that's not it. 

* Do you have to come from a Power 5 conference?  You can't even say that, given that the current playoff setup only allows for 4 teams...so, somebody was always guaranteed of getting left out.  (Yes, this could/would be addressed if expansion happens.)  

* How about they win by a certain amount?  Well, what is that number...10...14...20...25...30+?  And is that an average, or do you have to go game-by-game?  I mean, Alabama has outscored their opponents in their wins by 277 points, an average of about 25 points per game.  UC, on the other hand, is at 285 points, or around 24 per game.  Yet, UC gets marked down on having one score games against a 3-8 team (7 point win) and a 6-6 team (8 point victory)...but Bama barely moves in the rankings by having games with margins of 2, 2, 6, and 7 points against teams that went 6-6, 6-6, 6-6 and 8-4. 

* What about their out-of-conference schedule?  Sure, sounds good, right?  But, UC gets nicked because Indiana wasn't that good this year...but, Alabama has gotten a yearly pass for scheduling FCS teams like Western Carolina, Mercer, The Citadel, Chattanooga and Charleston Southern. 

Look, all I am saying is that there is nothing but a bunch of gray areas in which people decide what they deem to be important, and thus, what team is deserving.  There are many aspects that teams just have little to no control over....like how your opponents do in the the rest of their games.  So, why are we holding that against them?

At the end of the day, there is literally only one item that matters...did you win or not?  That's it.  So, settle the dang thing on the field. 

I know you said you don't want to see the likes of a Mountain West team get slaughtered by an SEC team.  But just for giggles, San Diego State beat Utah, who knocked off Oregon, who beat Ohio State, who defeated Penn State, who beat Auburn, who just lost to the mighty Alabama by 2, in overtime.  Now I know you can't do that, to predict how a team will do.  But, to utterly dismiss them and say they'd have absolutely no chance is just as ridiculous.

So let in the 10 conference champions, and I'll give you 6 more "wild-card" teams to help balance any "irregularities" (scheduling/injuries/conference strength/tie-breakers/etc.) that occurred during the regular season.  Sure, there may be a blowout when an undefeated 1-seed plays a 4-loss 16-seed.  But, hey, we just saw that a couple of weeks ago when OSU blew the doors off what people deemed the #2 team in the country (MSU).  It can happen.  It has happened.  And it will happen again.  That's football.  Some teams just match up better against others.

So a team playing let's say 1 top 50 team and 3 top 100 teams and rest of the schedule is made up of teams 100 or worse would deserve to be in over UC if UC had 1 loss on this year's schedule and didn't win their conference. Who you play should matter, you don't have to run a gauntlet of top 20 teams each and every week, but if your schedule is 75% top 100 teams that should weigh more than winning a conference where only 25% of your opponents are top 100 teams.

You logic that past teams didn't get a sniff of the playoffs with doesn't hold water, because in an expanded playoff they most certainly would be considered if they were undefeated. 

As far as your struggle wins comparison, yes a struggle against a 3-8 top 200 team does and should weigh more against a team than a struggle against a 6-6 or 7-5 top 100 team.

Using your this team beat that team and that team beat this team so the first team could beat the last team analogy.  In high school football the 1A champ nearly every year "could" beat the 2A champ, 2A could beat the 3A and so on up to 5A champ could beat 6A. But there is no way the 1A champ is going to beat the 6A, it just isn't happening. So using that to include or disqualify teams in college football is weak at best.

UC deserves to be in the playoffs, but if it was 12 teams I'd hate to see them bumped out by some undeserving conference champ, just because UC lost the conference championship. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby says expanding the College Football Playoff as soon as the 2024 season is "in some jeopardy" if an agreement on a new format cannot be reached soon.

Speaking Saturday to reporters before the Big 12 championship game between No. 5 Oklahoma State and No. 9 Baylor, Bowlsby said expansion talks have slowed to the point where the chances of implementing a new format before the current 12-year agreement ends after the 2025 season are waning.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bugatti said:

We currently have Northern Illinois (8-4) battling Kent State (7-5) in the MAC championship game. Great example of what I’m against receiving an auto-bid.

I agree, auto-bids would be stupid.  Have a power ranking and put the top whatever teams in no matter who they are each year. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Walter said:

Pretty much shutting the door on any hope of a G5 team being included in any CFP. 

It's been said before that the PAC is the biggest proponent of auto-bids, they aren't willing to move forward without a guaranteed spot in each playoff. I think this is just him making it known that nothing will happen before then...unless they get their way.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...

Big 10 has dug their heals in on automatic qualifiers...not sure why, Big10 Champ will get in on their merit 95% of the time. Maybe they are worried that a 8-4 Wisconsin team could win the conference title and no one in the conference would get in. Even in that circumstance odds are that Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State would make it on their own merit.

Rose Bowl demanding to stay relevant and on NYD is holding up the discussion somehow. I don't understand how they get a voice in this. Put them in the rotation and tell them to take it or leave it.

Revenue sharing is the third sticking point. There are 1000 ways to cut this up...but I think it could be done easily. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.