12 Team Playoff Is Coming

Walter

3 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

If they already had a 12 team playoff, just think, we could've avoided all this conference realignment crap we've had to go through.  NCAA has screwed this up 10 ways to Sunday.

NCAA has no say in this.

Most realignment has nothing to do with the playoffs. Face it, OU and Texas had much easier paths where they were. Realignment for all schools is about future TV and media dollars. The biggest reason the playoffs will expand, isn't because we are all clamoring for it, is because the TV money will probably triple or quadruple from the current CFP deal.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CincySportsFan said:

If they already had a 12 team playoff, just think, we could've avoided all this conference realignment crap we've had to go through.  NCAA has screwed this up 10 ways to Sunday.

16 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

NCAA has no say in this.

Most realignment has nothing to do with the playoffs. Face it, OU and Texas had much easier paths where they were. Realignment for all schools is about future TV and media dollars. The biggest reason the playoffs will expand, isn't because we are all clamoring for it, is because the TV money will probably triple or quadruple from the current CFP deal.

I agree with both of you.

Hopefully the schools do what is best by their students and if they are good enough they will get in. 

1 hour ago, mcpapa said:

And whoever is sitting at #13 - and they won't have a snowball's chance of winning it all - will be crying in their beer with their panties in a bunch.

We should all tell them collectively, to Shut Up...when it happens.

Even though if UK had beaten UT this year, it easily could have been them just on the outside looking in at the dirty dozen.

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I'm 100% against Auto-Bids, I hope whoever is against it stays strong.

I'd tell the PAC and Big12 to shut up and earn a bid, don't expect a gift bid just for participating.

if there are no auto-bids, then do away with the conferences.  I don't want 5 SEC teams in a 12 team tournament because of their perceived strength of schedule.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I'm 100% against Auto-Bids, I hope whoever is against it stays strong.

I'd tell the PAC and Big12 to shut up and earn a bid, don't expect a gift bid just for participating.

We literally have auto-bids in every other major sport.  We don't have the hate and angst against it there, do we?  Every team is told at the beginning of the year what they need to do in order to not only make the playoffs, but also be considered the champion.  College football is the only one that can't/won't do that.

I just don't see how you can penalize a team for how their opponents faired (whether in or out of conference), especially considering that schedules are done years in advance.  If you want a committee to decide who the "best" teams are, then you might as well go back to the old bowl system setup, and just have everybody vote at the end of that.

1 hour ago, REALSPORT said:

if there are no auto-bids, then do away with the conferences.  I don't want 5 SEC teams in a 12 team tournament because of their perceived strength of schedule.  

I don't want a 4 or 5 loss conference champion getting in over more deserving teams. If auto-bids are in place there needs to be a minimum requirement of wins to get in.

23 minutes ago, CincySportsFan said:

We literally have auto-bids in every other major sport.  We don't have the hate and angst against it there, do we?  Every team is told at the beginning of the year what they need to do in order to not only make the playoffs, but also be considered the champion.  College football is the only one that can't/won't do that.

I just don't see how you can penalize a team for how their opponents faired (whether in or out of conference), especially considering that schedules are done years in advance.  If you want a committee to decide who the "best" teams are, then you might as well go back to the old bowl system setup, and just have everybody vote at the end of that.

Apples and oranges, most of the auto-bid sports have numerous teams getting into the playoffs. Everyone that really deserves to get in does for the most part. With just 12 teams allowed in there is a great chance that 1 or 2 deserving teams could be left out to make way for a 7-5 or 8-4 conference champ. 

People often try and draw the parallel between D1 college football and college basketball. Gaps between conferences do exist, but the gap between your top teams in college football and the field is much more pronounced than the the gap between the top basketball teams and their field.

The other parallel people try and make is with the FCS (1-AA). They do have automatic qualifiers. As a follower of FCS football, there are a few auto-bids that get in each year that have no business being on the same field as some of the top teams.

• Like 1