Kentucky 45 Louisiana Monroe 10

16thBBall Fan

• 16thBBall Fan changed the title to Kentucky 45 Louisiana Monroe 10

That was fun! It does make you wonder if all the previous QBs before this year were not good, or were they simply stuck playing in a system that prevented them from ever looking good.  It’s only one game, but watching the offensive system today makes me think that some of these previous QBs would have looked much better if they had this new OC. It was so much fun actually seeing down field passing. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

That was fun! It does make you wonder if all the previous QBs before this year were not good, or were they simply stuck playing in a system that prevented them from ever looking good.  It’s only one game, but watching the offensive system today makes me think that some of these previous QBs would have looked much better if they had this new OC. It was so much fun actually seeing down field passing. 

Right, it is only one game but I am about as excited as I have ever been about UK football after the game today.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Did you guys happen to watch UC when Eddie Gran was there? They seemed to score and move the ball. Glad they got someone the fans like....for a little while lol.

I oftened wondered what happened when Gran moved his system to UK.  I'm not saying UK's offense was bad,  heck with Gran at UK, in 2018 the team got it's first double digit win season since the mid 70's and won enough in 2019 to go to a bowl without a true quarterback but often it felt the defense carried a bit more of the load in those wins and the offense did good enough to win, but they often were not too impressive.  

Was it that Gram's system was great in a mid major conference but in a power 5 conference the defensive players are too fast and the defensive systems are to complex?  I'm asking, not making an assertion that those are the reasons why his system just seemed to not flourish at UK while it did at UC.

13 hours ago, futurecoach said:

Agreed! The Missouri game should definitely give us a better idea about this new offense and it’s potential. 

Yeah no kidding.  Mizzou didn't beat Central Mich like UK did with Lou Monroe but just from watching the game, Central Mich looked to be a better team than Lou Monroe so Mizzou could be a pretty formidable opponent.  I think many UK fans may be assuming a victory when it is anything but certain.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bert said:

I oftened wondered what happened when Gran moved his system to UK.  I'm not saying UK's offense was bad,  heck with Gran at UK, in 2018 the team got it's first double digit win season since the mid 70's and won enough in 2019 to go to a bowl without a true quarterback but often it felt the defense carried a bit more of the load in those wins and the offense did good enough to win, but they often were not too impressive.  

Was it that Gram's system was great in a mid major conference but in a power 5 conference the defensive players are too fast and the defensive systems are to complex?  I'm asking, not making an assertion that those are the reasons why his system just seemed to not flourish at UK while it did at UC.

Maybe the players he had then at UC were better than UK's?

2 things were entirely different between yesterday's game, and seasons past.

1) I was not frustrated with the play-calling. Past years were so predictable, but not yesterday. Loved the balance, and so many players getting to eat.

2) MOST of the passes (not all, but most) actually led our receivers in stride (what a concept), even those that were dropped. A few were thrown behind, but not nearly as many as normal for us.
  • Like 1