August 26, 20215 yr Who didn't see this coming? ? There are really only two NCAA rules for NIL, you can't "pay to play" or reward players for on field performance and you can't use NIL deals as a recruiting inducement. Memphis it seems had a FedEx deal in place for their top two recruits before they committed. Come to Memphis and here is an endorsement from FedEx ready to go. This may be the first school to violate this rule. But they won't be the last.
August 26, 20215 yr 2 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said: Who didn't see this coming? ? There are really only two NCAA rules for NIL, you can't "pay to play" or reward players for on field performance and you can't use NIL deals as a recruiting inducement. Memphis it seems had a FedEx deal in place for their top two recruits before they committed. Come to Memphis and here is an endorsement from FedEx ready to go. This may be the first school to violate this rule. But they won't be the last. Do you have a link showing they violated this rule? I would think that would be front page news on some website about a team breaking a rule for a player like him, yet I don’t see it.
August 27, 20215 yr Author 12 hours ago, futurecoach said: Do you have a link showing they violated this rule? I would think that would be front page news on some website about a team breaking a rule for a player like him, yet I don’t see it. This story says that they were complicit in securing the FedEx deal. NIL money is reportedly going to flow toward prized recruit Emoni Bates as part of an agreement between the University of Memphis and FedEx, according to multiple reports from sources... The NCAA bans any pay-for-play, as well as using NIL as a recruitment lever, so Memphis being complicit in a deal to funnel cash from FedEx to Bates – and fellow recruit Jalen Duren – would appear to qualify as a violation. http://kentsterling.com/2021/08/26/does-emoni-bates-commitment-to-memphis-violate-ncaa-nil-rules-if-so-does-it-matter/
August 27, 20215 yr 8 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said: This story says that they were complicit in securing the FedEx deal. NIL money is reportedly going to flow toward prized recruit Emoni Bates as part of an agreement between the University of Memphis and FedEx, according to multiple reports from sources... The NCAA bans any pay-for-play, as well as using NIL as a recruitment lever, so Memphis being complicit in a deal to funnel cash from FedEx to Bates – and fellow recruit Jalen Duren – would appear to qualify as a violation. http://kentsterling.com/2021/08/26/does-emoni-bates-commitment-to-memphis-violate-ncaa-nil-rules-if-so-does-it-matter/ Thank you for sharing that!
August 29, 20215 yr Is this like a shock to anyone? This is just the tip of the iceberg. The NIL inducements will be the key in recruiting. In theory if the deals are sweet enough it will slow down leaving by some marginal one and dones.
August 29, 20215 yr Author 4 hours ago, 9068 said: Is this like a shock to anyone? This is just the tip of the iceberg. The NIL inducements will be the key in recruiting. In theory if the deals are sweet enough it will slow down leaving by some marginal one and dones. Yep, this was always going to happen.
August 30, 20215 yr 9 hours ago, sportsfan41 said: Memphis is shady as hell under Hardaway. If my memory serves me correctly, Memphis has been on the shady side for many years now. Even before Hardaway arrived.
August 31, 20215 yr On 8/29/2021 at 10:43 PM, 4 Quarters said: If my memory serves me correctly, Memphis has been on the shady side for many years now. Even before Hardaway arrived. Be careful now......
September 1, 20215 yr On 8/29/2021 at 10:43 PM, 4 Quarters said: If my memory serves me correctly, Memphis has been on the shady side for many years now. Even before Hardaway arrived. No need to throw Tubby or Josh Pastner under the bus like that.
September 2, 20215 yr On 8/31/2021 at 8:44 PM, Randy Parker said: No need to throw Tubby or Josh Pastner under the bus like that. I didn't call out any coaches and if I had Tubby would not have been on the list, but I would say Josh made some bad decisions while at Memphis and early on at Ga. Tech. I still stand by my statement Memphis has crossed the line many times in the past.
September 2, 20215 yr 31 minutes ago, 4 Quarters said: I didn't call out any coaches and if I had Tubby would not have been on the list, but I would say Josh made some bad decisions while at Memphis and early on at Ga. Tech. I still stand by my statement Memphis has crossed the line many times in the past. I was joking.
September 4, 20215 yr It’s laughable...Calipari was “shady” until he got to Kentucky. But keep on perpetuating the NCAA hypocrisy.
September 5, 20215 yr 20 hours ago, doomer said: It’s laughable...Calipari was “shady” until he got to Kentucky. But keep on perpetuating the NCAA hypocrisy. I've always felt like he was under the world's largest microscope when he came to KY. Was worried about that first recruiting class but haven't really been since. Seems interesting that UK has dropped out of a recruiting race several times and a player winds up in trouble for something down the road.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.