Christian County/Hopkinsville Consolidation? (Update: Yes)

1 hour ago, Tkinslow said:

In football no one will ever overtake the Louisville powers in 6A. Maybe a year every now and then like Scott Co did a couple years ago but year in and year out no one will be a problem for them.

Most folks will agree with you. Trinity currently is the team who’s level is above everyone else. Nether-less I believe it can be done. Skill wise they could compete right now besides Trinity this year. They really had a special team even for their standards. Upfront is where there’s a big gap for both county and Hoptown. Both schools don’t get the big country kids they use to. Their either into hunting/working  or have join FFA. It’s pretty big here. If the new school (if it happens) can get 8-12 hard nose kids with grit who don’t mind putting their hands on the ground  I think they could compete with the Louisville big boys. Just for conversation I like the name of Edward Casey high school. Think that’s a cool name. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sounds like the superintendent is hot on the consolidation idea. They have apparently been talking about the idea within the school district for several years now, and they have multiple research and planning committees working on things.

https://www.wkdzradio.com/2021/05/17/conversation-continuing-in-christian-county-school-consolidation/

On 4/4/2021 at 9:47 AM, tackle trap said:

Disagree. Football: Hoptown has been to the state championship three times winning two. Late 90’s early 2000’s were an elite team. Gave Boyle county all they wanted and could have easily won couple of those games. Still playing good football here recently. Christian County has been to the state championship 4 times wining two. They are the only school outside Louisville to win the title in the biggest classification more than once (4A at that time). Not long ago they were one of the elites n WKY. 
Basketball: Both Hoptown and County have won state championships and have made multiple appearances in the state title games. 
Baseball: County has won a state championship and had a run where they were one of the better teams n the state.

Wrestling: Great history here. Both programs have won state championships and many individual championships. Christian is still one of the elites in the state and should keep getting better. 

Softball: Christian is one of the better programs in state history with multiple state championships.

I’m talking about only football, yes lots of teams compete in other sports but in football no one is going to dominate the three Louisville schools it’s just not going to happen.

51 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

I’m talking about only football, yes lots of teams compete in other sports but in football no one is going to dominate the three Louisville schools it’s just not going to happen.

If talking strictly about football, I believe a consolidated Christian County/Hopkinsville team would have a greater chance of statewide success than McCracken County, the other recent 6A consolidation. McCracken has won the district each season but hasn't shown any real ability to compete with the big three or four in Louisville. They've even had difficulty with the second tier (North Hardin, et al). Christian/Hoptown would likely have a more athletic pool of players but that doesn't guarantee state championships. I could envision a Christian/Hopkinsville combo team as a fairly regular contender for the state final four but likely no more, while more realistically providing quality opponents for McCracken, Henderson, North and Central Hardin.

Question: Is there other places in Kentucky that is similar in size as Hopkinsville where they have consolidated into just one county school?  If so, how did that work out in terms of sports?

Here in WKY, Graves and McCracken consolidated but there is also a city school (Mayfield, Paducah).

I understand consolidating makes sense from a financial aspect to the county. I don't like the fact that less kids will have an opportunity to engage in sports and/or academic teams.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

If talking strictly about football, I believe a consolidated Christian County/Hopkinsville team would have a greater chance of statewide success than McCracken County, the other recent 6A consolidation. McCracken has won the district each season but hasn't shown any real ability to compete with the big three or four in Louisville. They've even had difficulty with the second tier (North Hardin, et al). Christian/Hoptown would likely have a more athletic pool of players but that doesn't guarantee state championships. I could envision a Christian/Hopkinsville combo team as a fairly regular contender for the state final four but likely no more, while more realistically providing quality opponents for McCracken, Henderson, North and Central Hardin.

I agree it doesn't mean State Championships but every once in a while I believe they would have a bunch that would win a State title in football and especially basketball.

On 4/2/2021 at 2:21 PM, ChiefSmoke said:

I like the merger idea.  For example , if there were still ONE Boone County HS, it would be competitive with any program in the state. 

I would love to see....

Laurel County HS

Madison County HS

Jessamine County HS

You could still have two campuses, but one school. Or, do a freshman academy, house 10 thru 12 in another location. 

Would be some logistic issues, for sure. But, you can create pods/small groups to gain benefits of a smaller school... and keep the advantages of the numbers. 

That is how Muhlenburg Co. is set up. 

7 hours ago, FB Head said:

Question: Is there other places in Kentucky that is similar in size as Hopkinsville where they have consolidated into just one county school?  If so, how did that work out in terms of sports?

Here in WKY, Graves and McCracken consolidated but there is also a city school (Mayfield, Paducah).

I understand consolidating makes sense from a financial aspect to the county. I don't like the fact that less kids will have an opportunity to engage in sports and/or academic teams.

I think Henderson Co. would be pretty similar to Christian Co.   Of course their city and county schools consolidated decades ago.  Fairly sure that they are one of the largest public schools in the state. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/18/2021 at 10:28 PM, Irish Cat said:

I think Henderson Co. would be pretty similar to Christian Co.   Of course their city and county schools consolidated decades ago.  Fairly sure that they are one of the largest public schools in the state. 

And how has that worked out for them? Not being mean, but Henderson hasn't done a whole lot on the football front for being one of the largest schools in the state.

There is definitely a push from the top to consolidate County and Hoptown, and it looks like it will definitely happen. Mostly for academic, financial, and equity reasons. I don't think the locals should be expecting championships in 6A, that's a whole different ball game than 4 and 5A.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kentuckycolonel said:

And how has that worked out for them? Not being mean, but Henderson hasn't done a whole lot on the football front for being one of the largest schools in the state.

There is definitely a push from the top to consolidate County and Hoptown, and it looks like it will definitely happen. Mostly for academic, financial, and equity reasons. I don't think the locals should be expecting championships in 6A, that's a whole different ball game than 4 and 5A.

Christian won it twice when it was much harder with only 4 classes. I agree total different ball game than 4 and 5A but they should dominate WKY and will play either one or the big 3 Louisville schools year in an year out. At some point they should be able to win a title or two.

4 minutes ago, WKY_Football said:

Barring some unforeseen change of plans, the consolidation will happen, possibly as early as next fall for athletic teams. 

Seems this is really starting to move fast.  Would they go ahead and consolidate the sports teams even if the new building isn't completed?  Is that even allowed to take place?

• Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Christian County/Hopkinsville Consolidation? (UPDATE: Yes)
  • theguru changed the title to Christian County/Hopkinsville Consolidation? (Update: Yes)