Alabama 52 Ohio State 24 CFB: National Championship

16thBBall Fan

6 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

I disagree with this.  I say confidently he would have been Q1 after JT had he not broken his finger/hand in fall camp on a handoff.  Worked out well for Joe though.

Maybe. But I doubt if he would have transferred if that was entirely the case.

A side note is Mac Jones committed to UK until Bama offered. Never thought he would turn out like this and if he had gone to UK , would he have been developed like he did at Bama?

Good players sit on the bench and never get their shot or never develop because they have poor coaching.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Maybe. But I doubt if he would have transferred if that was entirely the case.

A side note is Mac Jones committed to UK until Bama offered. Never thought he would turn out like this and if he had gone to UK , would he have been developed like he did at Bama?

Good players sit on the bench and never get their shot or never develop because they have poor coaching.

Hard to say.  He certainly would not have had the stats or wins that he had at Bama, but more than likely he would have produced better than anyone else on the roster.  Don't forget it's possible to be a #1 overall draft pick as a QB at UK.  You wouldn't expect great coaching at a place like Northern Iowa but it seems to have worked out for Kurt Warner. 

3 minutes ago, Irish Cat said:

Hard to say.  He certainly would not have had the stats or wins that he had at Bama, but more than likely he would have produced better than anyone else on the roster.  Don't forget it's possible to be a #1 overall draft pick as a QB at UK.  You wouldn't expect great coaching at a place like Northern Iowa but it seems to have worked out for Kurt Warner. 

Who knows? Jones might have languished on the bench. UK has been pitiful in developing Qb's. 

1 hour ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Too never really given a honest chance.

Burrows time at Ohio State is summed up in poor timing of 2 injuries. Burrows own injury that placed Haskins in the backup role in 2017 and JT Barrett’s injury in the Michigan game that allowed Haskins to lead a come back win. After that comeback win against Michigan I think it was pretty locked in that Haskins was going to be the starter in 2018. Honestly it was just pure bad luck that Burrow never got his chance at Ohio State. 

2 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

I love Troy and loved that Ohio State team despite the loss to Florida, but Justin Fields is light years ahead of Troy. The Mt Rushmore of OSU QB’s is probably Fields, Troy, Barrett, and Braxton Miller. 

If we are talking the Mount Rushmore of OSU QBs of the 2000s, then ok. If you are going to make statistical cases, anyone in the last 20 years is going to be considered the greatest QBs of their school's history.

Just now, bugatti said:

If we are talking the Mount Rushmore of OSU QBs of the 2000s, then ok. If you are going to make statistical cases, anyone in the last 20 years is going to be considered the greatest QBs of their school's history.

OSU has just never been a good QB school prior to Troy Smith. I mean prior to Troy it’s basically what? Art Schlister? Haha 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Rex Kern kind of proves my point though if you think about it. 

Rex Kern played during the 3 yards and a cloud of dust era and went on to be a defensive back in the NFL. When I think of OSU, I think running backs and linebackers and linemen. If they played in the SEC, I look at them sorta like Texas A&M maybe slightly better but no Alabama.

4 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

I love Troy and loved that Ohio State team despite the loss to Florida, but Justin Fields is light years ahead of Troy. The Mt Rushmore of OSU QB’s is probably Fields, Troy, Barrett, and Braxton Miller. 

Cornelius Green is a name from the past. Good at handing off to Archie and Pete with an occasional 10 yd pass.

42 minutes ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

Rex Kern played during the 3 yards and a cloud of dust era and went on to be a defensive back in the NFL. When I think of OSU, I think running backs and linebackers and linemen. If they played in the SEC, I look at them sorta like Texas A&M maybe slightly better but no Alabama.

Huh? What are we even talking about? I think we were talking about quarterbacks.