A question for Somerset fans?

just 4 fun

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only one's that seem to be upset about Somerset moving up to 3A are the teams in the new district. So I ask, who is afraid of who? :sssh:

No fear here, Actually nothing to do with any program in question. Just wondering why when Somerset does not like the situation they are in they can simply move to another district where they will win?

On any given year Taylor, Casey Wayne, and Garrard will give Somerset all they want. Those teams may not be Corbin / Middlesboro, but they'll give the Jumpers all they want.

I think that is a stretch. Somerset has a whole lot of talent there now and a whole lot more coming through the ranks in their middle school program.

I think that everyone's point has been proven enough, bottom line is what is done is done. I'm sure everyone on here knows 100% about what they are talking about :rolleyes:, so why should we try to convince each other any different? Somerset will play in 3A next year, and I doubt that anyone associated with the program cares about what the any of the BGP posters thinks about it.

I think that everyone's point has been proven enough, bottom line is what is done is done. I'm sure everyone on here knows 100% about what they are talking about :rolleyes:, so why should we try to convince each other any different? Somerset will play in 3A next year, and I doubt that anyone associated with the program cares about what the any of the BGP posters thinks about it.

:thumb:

Well just because you do not want to hear it does not mean everyone must stop posting on this thread.

Well just because you do not want to hear it does not mean everyone must stop posting on this thread.

I just don't see how attacking a program for doing what they feel is best for their student athletes is necessary. I'm sure people in Wayne and Casey and Garrard Co. don't like that they will have to play Somerset every year now. I'm sure people in Corbin and Middlesboro and Leslie Co. are upset that they don't get to play Somerset every year now, and I know some people in Somerset would rather them play against better competition than their new district will provide. My only point is it's final now, and as much as it pleases you to argue about this it does not matter. Somerset will play in 3A. They will be trying to win a 3A state title, and if my memory serves me correctly they don't give you one of those for winning your district.

Good post.

You know, I think I know what will settle all of this. Somerset Plays their 3A schedule, and plays Middlesboro, Corbin, and Leslie Co. in 3 of the non district games. If they win all three, this shuts all of us up, if they win two..SHS point made. If they loose two or all three, the rest of the world is right and jumper fans stand corrected!

How about that?

You know, I think I know what will settle all of this. Somerset Plays their 3A schedule, and plays Middlesboro, Corbin, and Leslie Co. in 3 of the non district games. If they win all three, this shuts all of us up, if they win two..SHS point made. If they loose two or all three, the rest of the world is right and jumper fans stand corrected!

How about that?

The thing is Somerset doesn't dictate to the KHSAA where they play. They petitioned to play up in 3A for travel considerations. Every team in Kentucky that was not already a 6A team had the same chance to do so. In Somerset's case the request was granted by the KHSAA. Somerset did not "pick" their district, the KHSAA took a look at the situation and granted their request. When Somerset was moved to the 1A district it was supposedly because they didn't want to have to compete with Danville, Campbellsville, Metcalfe, Harrodsburg and Green Co. This was harped on in spite of the fact that anyone who cares to look can see that district was split and moved to two different districts. Of course after the performance of Harlan, Cumberland, Evarts, Pineville, Lynn Camp and Williamsburg (3-23 vs. SHS) I can understand why they would want Somerset to leave. The fact is that in their 3A district they have much shorter trips than in the 2A district they would have been put in as well as an extra district game each year which helps with scheduling. They are playing Corbin anyway so anyone who is accusing them of ducking anyone is barking up the wrong tree. They also play one of the local 5A teams every year as well as in some sort of bowl game. Take a look at their pre-district schedule this past year, it wasn't easy. It isn't as though moving to 3A gives them a clear shot to a state title or even a state title appearance, the last time I checked they will be playing schools with larger enrollments each week in their district games and in the playoffs-if they were really afraid competition they wouldn't do that. The district may not be as strong but if you're playing for district titles you need to examine your goals. Your post has the ring of sour grapes from a team that went 1-4 against Somerset over the last 4 years and was rooting for some other teams to do what yours was unable to do.

The thing is Somerset doesn't dictate to the KHSAA where they play. They petitioned to play up in 3A for travel considerations. Every team in Kentucky that was not already a 6A team had the same chance to do so. In Somerset's case the request was granted by the KHSAA. Somerset did not "pick" their district, the KHSAA took a look at the situation and granted their request. When Somerset was moved to the 1A district it was supposedly because they didn't want to have to compete with Danville, Campbellsville, Metcalfe, Harrodsburg and Green Co. This was harped on in spite of the fact that anyone who cares to look can see that district was split and moved to two different districts. Of course after the performance of Harlan, Cumberland, Evarts, Pineville, Lynn Camp and Williamsburg (3-23 vs. SHS) I can understand why they would want Somerset to leave. The fact is that in their 3A district they have much shorter trips than in the 2A district they would have been put in as well as an extra district game each year which helps with scheduling. They are playing Corbin anyway so anyone who is accusing them of ducking anyone is barking up the wrong tree. They also play one of the local 5A teams every year as well as in some sort of bowl game. Take a look at their pre-district schedule this past year, it wasn't easy. It isn't as though moving to 3A gives them a clear shot to a state title or even a state title appearance, the last time I checked they will be playing schools with larger enrollments each week in their district games and in the playoffs-if they were really afraid competition they wouldn't do that. The district may not be as strong but if you're playing for district titles you need to examine your goals. Your post has the ring of sour grapes from a team that went 1-4 against Somerset over the last 4 years and was rooting for some other teams to do what yours was unable to do.

I do have sour grapes because I do not like "tinkering". You can say what you like but it happened, not once but twice. With that said, I do agree with you...Somerset probably had one of the top three schedules in Single A this year.

As far as the performance of the District schools you mentioned, none of those schools has the resource that Somerset has. By that I mean $$$. That much is clear. It is far easier to develope talent when you have the funds. The starter programs get much more attention and kids just want to play in that atmosphere.

I have been a vocal opponent of the alignment of SHS in both situations, but the time has come to let it rest. I have a lot of friends in Somerset and I respect your program. As said earlier in ths post what's done is done. Go and represent SHS. It's been a great ride, especially in '04.:thumb: