Who’s going to be the 4th team in the playoff?

GrantNKY

33 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

What is UC’s record if they play the schedule of any of the eight teams in front of them?

Considering the lack of evidence out there due to minimal OOC games being played, not sure this is your best argument for why certain teams should be ranked ahead of someone else. It's all opinion with no facts to back it up.

The coaches and AP both have UC at 6. I think that's more in line with where they should be based on eye test against the schedule that was handed to them.

Again (for what feels like the 10th time), they tried to strengthen the limited # of OOC games they could play by contacting anyone and everyone with open dates in the B12 and ACC. It's not their fault Notre Dame wasn't interested in moving their home game against UC up a year and that Pitt, West VA, Iowa State, and Louisville simply chose to show zero interest in playing them.

It's my opinion that UC is just as good as anyone ahead of them not in the top 4.... If they lose Sat or look overmatched against Georgia/Florida in the Peach Bowl, I'll be the first to admit they weren't as good as their ranking suggested. 

I agree with Grant though... Rank the top 4 each week and leave it at that since the rest really don't matter.

1 hour ago, John Anthony said:

Committee doesn’t want madness this year.

Was talking about this over Thanksgiving with my brother in law. P5 programs are losing way more money than a program like UC with the decision to have limited/zero fans at each game. The difference in operating costs between UC and Ohio State is in the millions. 

Obviously that revenue can be made up quicker in the P5 in future years but we are kidding ourselves if we think the P5 AD's/reps on this committee want to share any of that $24 million between 4 playoff spots with "outsiders."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrantNKY said:

I’m not sure there’s any argument for Clemson if they lose again to ND. They have zero ranked wins. 

Clemson is completely out if they lose to ND. No way they should be in. 2 loss team should be out in general unless there’s nothing but 2 loss teams. And I am a Clemson fan. I hope that fact is in their heads this week. 

1 hour ago, FootballBobcat said:

Beat Auburn when they were ranked. Beat #25 Missouri. Up at halftime on Alabama. Playing a tough schedule takes a toll on a team over the course of the season. UGA would beat Cincinnati. Saw where UGA is ranked ahead of Cincinnati now! 

I hope they get to play each other. I don't know who wins but would enjoy seeing what happens.

1 hour ago, FootballBobcat said:

Beat Auburn when they were ranked. Beat #25 Missouri. Up at halftime on Alabama. Playing a tough schedule takes a toll on a team over the course of the season. UGA would beat Cincinnati. Saw where UGA is ranked ahead of Cincinnati now! 

Since you want to use that to support your argument... 

Army was #22 when UC beat them and SMU was #16. 

Both UCF (5th/#30 in ARV) and Army (7th/#32 in ARV) received more votes in this weeks AP poll than Auburn. 

"UGA would beat Cincinnati" is nothing more than an opinion. Hopefully we get to see it played out on Jan 1st.

56 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Exactly why they should just release the top 4 and nothing else every week. Hope is the most valuable currency in college football. I think it’d be much better to just have it be a mystery. The intrigue for the final rankings would be crazy. Yeah they’d end up crushing their hopes anyways, but at least let them have it for a moment. 

32 minutes ago, Walter said:

Considering the lack of evidence out there due to minimal OOC games being played, not sure this is your best argument for why certain teams should be ranked ahead of someone else. It's all opinion with no facts to back it up.

The coaches and AP both have UC at 6. I think that's more in line with where they should be based on eye test against the schedule that was handed to them.

Again (for what feels like the 10th time), they tried to strengthen the limited # of OOC games they could play by contacting anyone and everyone with open dates in the B12 and ACC. It's not their fault Notre Dame wasn't interested in moving their home game against UC up a year and that Pitt, West VA, Iowa State, and Louisville simply chose to show zero interest in playing them.

It's my opinion that UC is just as good as anyone ahead of them not in the top 4.... If they lose Sat or look overmatched against Georgia/Florida in the Peach Bowl, I'll be the first to admit they weren't as good as their ranking suggested. 

I agree with Grant though... Rank the top 4 each week and leave it at that since the rest really don't matter.

The rankings show is for ratings and entertainment value.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Then what does it matter where they are ranked?

They are literally the only team that was punished and dropped for not playing. They fell a spot each week they sat idle. 

If we are going to say the entire regular season matters, there's zero reasoning behind 2 loss Florida, UGA, or Iowa State being ahead of UC...especially with Florida coming off a loss to a bad LSU team and Iowa State having 17 point loss to Louisiana. 

Even though I didn't expect them to get in, if UC is 9-0 after Sat and ranked #6, if Clemson were to lose again they have a much higher chance at jumping A&M who is sitting idle. Zero chance of that happening at #9. 

23 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

The rankings show is for ratings and entertainment value.

And to give ESPN something to talk about leading up to championship week... Even though we all know Bama, OSU, and Clemson are pretty much locks every year for the CFP with Notre Dame or a 1 loss SEC/B12 champ being the last team in. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Walter said:

Even though I didn't expect them to get in, if UC is 9-0 after Sat and ranked #6, if Clemson were to lose again they have a much higher chance at jumping A&M who is sitting idle. Zero chance of that happening at #9. 

A G5 team with zero CFP Top 25 wins (at the time of the selection show) will NEVER get in the playoff unless there are multiple two-loss teams ahead of them. Doesn’t matter who the school is. 

6 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

A G5 team with zero CFP Top 25 wins (at the time of the selection show) will NEVER get in the playoff unless there are multiple two-loss teams ahead of them. Doesn’t matter who the school is. 

We agree there. And I still think Bama, OSU, and both Clemson/ND (regardless of result) get in so it's a moot point.

My issue is more with the lack of respect for the way they've dominated their schedule.

Do you think UC would have fell in the rankings if they play the past two weeks and beat the brakes off Temple then pick up a road win over #20 Tulsa heading in to the CCG?

1 hour ago, GrantNKY said:

Auburn is a bad football team. Missouri is mediocre team. Alabama waxed Georgia. Outside of Alabama and Florida, Georgia’s schedule is not better than UCs. SEC disease is prevalent again. In non Covid years it’s the scariest pandemic in the nation. Infecting the brains of millions of people below the mason Dixon. 

Cincinnati would get destroyed by Alabama! UGA was at least up at halftime. Second half was tough. Not exactly waxed. I am not tied to any particular conference either especially the SEC. But yes SEC football is better than most conferences. Cincinnati would have lost at least a few games playing the schedule Georgia did. Playing tougher teams week in and week out is rough. Players get worn down or hurt. Is UGA one of the top four? No way! My opinion—will take the Dogs anytime over Cincy though! 

3 minutes ago, Walter said:

We agree there. And I still think Bama, OSU, and both Clemson/ND (regardless of result) get in so it's a moot point.

My issue is more with the lack of respect for the way they've dominated their schedule.

Do you think UC would have fell in the rankings if they play the past two weeks and beat the brakes off Temple then pick up a road win over #20 Tulsa heading in to the CCG?

I don’t know. They certainly don’t move up. Sure they’ve won all their games, but what’s the signature win? What’s the win that says “Okay, these guys are really legit.”?

Dropping two consecutive weeks when you didn’t play is aggravating, I get it. They were ranked too high before those two weeks if you ask me. They’re getting closer to where they should be ranked now.

5 minutes ago, FootballBobcat said:

Cincinnati would get destroyed by Alabama! UGA was at least up at halftime. Second half was tough. Not exactly waxed. I am not tied to any particular conference either especially the SEC. But yes SEC football is better than most conferences. Cincinnati would have lost at least a few games playing the schedule Georgia did. Playing tougher teams week in and week out is rough. Players get worn down or hurt. Is UGA one of the top four? No way! My opinion—will take the Dogs anytime over Cincy though! 

Georgia’s schedule wasn’t any better besides Alabama and Florida. It’s not week in and week out. It’s 2 games.