Cards at Reds 8/31-9/02

• theguru changed the title to Cards at Reds 8/31-9/02

One of the main gripes, and I have several, is that we don't take into consideration it appears that it is a 60 game season. Disco was struggling big time last night, and I thought should have been taken out way before he gave up the HR.  He was at 90 pitches and you are still in the game.  If he was removed last night I feel like the Reds would have won that game.  We continue to do bone head things as a coaching staff, and they have lost the players.  I think they truly hate playing for this guy.  I have no idea what the management looks at.  Some of the decisions they make are like they are high school coaches punishing a kid.  If you are 0-2 in the first 5 innings you are coming out and PH for.  It is like taking a player out for missing a shot.  This team might not be good enough to compete with the Dodgers, but they should be in the playoffs with this roster.  Disappointing up to this point.

3 hours ago, 8th Region Warrior said:

One of the main gripes, and I have several, is that we don't take into consideration it appears that it is a 60 game season. Disco was struggling big time last night, and I thought should have been taken out way before he gave up the HR.  He was at 90 pitches and you are still in the game.  If he was removed last night I feel like the Reds would have won that game.

Completely agree on the 60 game mentality.  Last night you've got a guy who hasn't pitched in a week and a half or so, and is struggling pretty much from the word go.  With a 162 games, maybe you let him go an extra inning or two, in order to "work on his stuff" and try to find his groove back.  With 60 games, you don't have that luxury.  Honestly, they should have had a plan for it, knowing that it's been awhile in between starts for Disco.

I was a fan of Bell getting the job in the first place, but even my patience is wearing thin.

16 hours ago, mcpapa said:

Made it interesting in the 9th, at least. 

I've been critical of some of the "gift" wins that the Reds were presented by the Chicago Cubs, and they were gifts - not comebacks,  or any other fancy names - they were gifts.

However, if they had come back and won Monday night, I would have regarded that an "earned" win.  Unfortunately, they didn't complete the comeback, but I'd rather see them win those kind of games, that having one handed to them.

Reds are now 41-54 by normal season standards - 13 games under .500.

I'm at least happy to see Paul Daugherty spitting up the pre-season kool-aid and beginning to tell it like it is.

Of course, Jim Day and friends were heralding the trade for VanMeter a solid trade where we would get a reliable reliever.  Why don't they let the guys prove themselves before anointing them anything.  They are likely going to be slugs.  They did the same thing with Jose Garcia last week - "destined to become one of the all-time great Cincinnati shortstops."  

I understand that they are paid to paint a rosy picture in our season of doom, but let the guys get  it done on the field  before anointing them the next great anything.  

• Like 1