Cubs at Reds (7/27 - 7/30)

2 hours ago, sumoroyal said:

I am not going to pound on Votto these next two months but it should would be nice to see another poster admit that he has failed big time this last two games instead of calling me out for pointing it out.

Just to balance the perspective, Votto comes into tonight's game hitting .350, leads the team in RBI, runs, hits and HR. Last night he hit the heck out of that ball for the last out. The previous game last out was also hit hard. Yes, he did not get the game winning hit. I will acknowledge that. Will you acknowledge that he is the best hitter on the team so far this season?

Somebody needs to inform Thom that YES, it is not too early to be standing on the edge of the cliff.  

Using the "one game in in a 60 game season is worth 2.7 games in the regular season" formula, the Reds are presently 3-11.  Given their past track record, that is major cause for concern. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

Baseball is 9 innings for a reason. Bad pitching no matter what inning can cost you. It cost the Reds early and almost cost the Cubs late. It wouldn’t have been a gift. 

I'm saying that I don't want to hear the broadcasters telling me about this valiant "comeback" when the opposing reliever puts four or five runners on base without a hit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Just to balance the perspective, Votto comes into tonight's game hitting .350, leads the team in RBI, runs, hits and HR. Last night he hit the heck out of that ball for the last out. The previous game last out was also hit hard. Yes, he did not get the game winning hit. I will acknowledge that. Will you acknowledge that he is the best hitter on the team so far this season?

He has been the best hitter on the team for years but I really don't care who the best hitter on a team that is ten to twenty games below .500.  He is a big part of that.

8 hours ago, sumoroyal said:

He has been the best hitter on the team for years but I really don't care who the best hitter on a team that is ten to twenty games below .500.  He is a big part of that.

Having watched almost every inning of every game so far this season, I'd say he's pretty far down that list as reasons for their record this year.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Having watched almost every inning of every game so far this season, I'd say he's pretty far down that list as reasons for their record this year.

He appears to be bouncing back from last year.  Not sure if any of it will matter with this bullpen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Anthony said:

He appears to be bouncing back from last year.  Not sure if any of it will matter with this bullpen.

Yeah, I don't know about them.  You got Amir Garret bragging about how nice one of his strikeouts looked on his slider on Twitter after the game last night, even though he gave up a 2-run bomb to Javy.  His response to fans, he's trying to focus on the positives.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Yeah, I don't know about them.  You got Amir Garret bragging about how nice one of his strikeouts looked on his slider on Twitter after the game last night, even though he gave up a 2-run bomb to Javy.  His response to fans, he's trying to focus on the positives.

Interesting point.  In a shortened season like this, if a team is going bad, the temptation to focus on individual stats will be greater.

1. Shogo Akiyama LF
2. Joey Votto 1B
3. Eugenio Suarez 3B
4. Mike Moustakas 2B
5. Nick Castellanos RF
6. Jesse Winker DH
7. Nick Senzel CF
8. Freddy Galvis SS
9. Tucker Barnhart C

SP : Sonny Gray

Nice to see Moose and Senzel back in there. Also glad Tucker is back, Casali has done well behind the dish, but really I was hoping to see Stephenson get a little more of a chance to play.

38 minutes ago, brown4 said:

1. Shogo Akiyama LF
2. Joey Votto 1B
3. Eugenio Suarez 3B
4. Mike Moustakas 2B
5. Nick Castellanos RF
6. Jesse Winker DH
7. Nick Senzel CF
8. Freddy Galvis SS
9. Tucker Barnhart C

SP : Sonny Gray

That's basically the lineup that we all want to see, which swapping the DH in and out.