Maddie Bell - Missing Ohio Teenager

Pura Vida

Are you guys following this gut wrenching story? Feds are now involved, hopefully Maddie is found soon.

From WLWT:

HIGHLAND COUNTY, Ohio —

Federal officials are now involved in the the search for an Ohio high school senior who disappeared en route to a tanning salon.

Maddie Bell, 18, was last seen leaving her house around 10 a.m. Sunday. After an extensive multi-day search and no sign of her, officials with the Highland County Sheriff's Office say the FBI and BCI is involved.

"She just yelled, 'Mom, I'm going tanning,'" said her mother, Melissa Bell. "She always comes right back. She's not one to be a minute late without calling or texting or letting me know not to worry."

Forty-five minutes later, Maddie hadn't returned. Melissa Bell said she waited another 15 minutes and then started texting and calling her daughter. She didn't respond.

Melissa Bell said she looked on the "Find My iPhone" app and Maddie's phone was showing up near the tanning place.

Melissa Bell said Maddie's boyfriend was at the house and the two then decided to look for her. They spotted her car at the Good Shepherd Church across from the market.

"It was the only car in the parking lot. We pull in. Windows are up," Melissa Bell said.

She said the car was unlocked and she opened the door.

"I notice her phone laying in the car. Her keys are in the ignition and money that she had in the pullout thing was still there," Melissa Bell said. "She's a typical teenager. She would never leave that phone."

Melissa said Maddie never made it to the Country Corner Market.

"She didn't sign in. The two mornings before that, she did, but that morning, video surveillance doesn't show her car making it to the tanning area. She did not sign in," Melissa Bell said.

Word of Maddie's disappearance spread quickly through rural Highland County. Volunteers searched the area Sunday, and about 250 people searched again Monday.

"As her mom, there is something wrong. Someone has her. She's not someone who has run away. This is not her behavior," Melissa Bell said.

Melissa Bell said her daughter is very responsible. She's the cheer captain at Greenfield's McClain High School and was looking forward to the upcoming week.

"This was senior week. She would not have missed this for anything," Melissa Bell said.

Melissa Bell said her daughter got accepted into Ohio University and has been in good spirits.

"She was happy. The night before we went fishing, her boyfriend, me, my mom," Melissa Bell said. "Get her picture out there. Get her name out there. Know that she would never leave here intentionally," Melissa Bell said.

Melissa Bell said her daughter may have been wearing a black North Face jacket and she may have had her driver's license and a bank card on her. Melissa Bell said there has been no activity on the bank card or on Maddie's Facebook page.

Investigators said they are looking for a white car that was seen driving into and leaving the church parking lot Sunday morning.

Anyone who has any information about Maddie's whereabouts should call 911.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reports this morning are that Maddie has been found safe, with no other details. Thank goodness!

Great news. I am interested in the details. I didn't want to speculate while she was missing but I couldn't help but wonder if there was an internet relationship involved. That may not be what happened but her reappearance safe makes me think it even more.

Great news. I am interested in the details. I didn't want to speculate while she was missing but I couldn't help but wonder if there was an internet relationship involved. That may not be what happened but her reappearance safe makes me think it even more.

I just finished an article on it, it appears she ran away to start a new life and since she is 18 the tax payers eat the cost.

I think she wanted to try something new. Boyfriend lived with her all 4 high school years, mom was a micromanager, she saw an opportunity right after turning 18 and bolted.

Super glad she’s safe. I wonder too about an internet relationship.