Coronavirus Independence Day

If the USA is opened back up in 2020 will you go back out in public?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. If the USA is opened back up in 2020 will you go back out in public?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but always with a mask on
    • Depends on the situation with COVID-19

The problem right now is the models are all over the place and no consistency. We will be back to at the very least a South Korea model sooner rather than later. I do believe there is a middle ground on this decision making. Health professionals can't be the only people who decide because they will look for sum zero, it can't be a 100% economic advisors because their focus will be on profit. There is a healthy blend of both pieces of information to reach the equilibrium.

I'm not one of the people down playing the risk but we already weigh the risk of 100's of things in our daily lives , and this pandemic will be no different. We have to gather the appropriate data and take the proper precautions but no functioning economy can sustain with a self enforced recession for long periods of time. There will be risk and some of them will be close to home for a lot of us but a time is coming soon where we will have to be back to a more normal outlook in our daily behavior.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The people I know who are now unemployed aren’t making close to what they did before. Heck, most of the people I know are still waiting to get their card issued due to the portal crashing, due to unprecedented amounts of claims. I get it, some people will buy into the fear mongering to take the summer off and collect a check but that’s not the demographic that drives America.

This is an issue. If someone does not have a bank account for direct deposit in Ohio right now , waiting on that card is a huge problem . I think the people making more money on UE are employees at bars/restaurants, not counting those bartenders at very successful bars. But that won't even be the case until the $600 kicks in.

And before we bring up the small business owners there are already articles out about the savvy small business owners who had their financial advisors get on top of their help. Those quick moving owners are already preparing for their comebacks with solid financial backing. America’s economy will bounce back quickly.

Everybody is sitting at home saving loot they’ll be ready to blow as soon as they hear the word, “go”.

Dick’s Sporting Goods furloughs most of its 40,000 employees. They didn’t see it coming. But you think small business owners who operate on razor thin margins saw it coming, or you think they have the liquidity to get through several months off?

Every small business owner in America needs to hire you my man for consultancy!

Dick’s Sporting Goods furloughs most of its 40,000 employees. They didn’t see it coming. But you think small business owners who operate on razor thin margins saw it coming, or you think they have the liquidity to get through several months off?

Again to be fair as long as small business owners are taking advantage and this shutdown doesn't last to much longer, the small business loan program should sustain most. I do disagree with PP92 downplaying the effects of our long term economy. While we need to greatly have concern about our physical health, our mental and financial health need to be major factors as well.

Again to be fair as long as small business owners are taking advantage and this shutdown doesn't last to much longer, the small business loan program should sustain most. I do disagree with PP92 downplaying the effects of our long term economy. While we need to greatly have concern about our physical health, our mental and financial health need to be major factors as well.

I understand that and agree but this is disturbing: Claims for unemployment benefits last week are expected to total about 5.25 million, bringing the number of Americans filing to more than 15 million. Economists say there could be more longer-term and permanent layoffs included in more recent claims, as companies look to trim costs.

I understand some might like it, get a prorated free check sit home all summer and see what happens. I’m more of a contrarian, what exactly will people be going back too? Are we too assume the same job/wages/opportunities will be open?

We’re not even a month into Q2 which will be the worst quarter of the year.

I understand that and agree but this is disturbing: Claims for unemployment benefits last week are expected to total about 5.25 million, bringing the number of Americans filing to more than 15 million.

I understand some might like it, get a free check sit home all summer and see what happens. I’m more of a contrarian, what exactly will people be going back too? Are we too assume the same job wages will be open, what about people who were vested 10+ years in a company, who have to start over?

I agree it's concerning and the numbers are historic. But at the same time these numbers had been anticipated prior to release. We basically shutdown the nations service industry. These are uncharted waters and I don't think anyone 100% has the answer, there just isn't a precedent to build off. But we need to focus on maintaining payroll and production lines. There will be a period of adjustment and rebound , but if we can maintain those key components we can get to a place of normal that will allow us to build off historical data.

Nah. I’m just extremely confident in their ability to bounce back.

Nah. I’m just extremely confident in their ability to bounce back.

At the end of the day it is always easier for someone who is not in those peoples shoes to say they should be fine, no worries, they will bounce back.

Which quite honestly that is the same type of thinking people are complaining about with our younger generation though. It is easy for our young generation to act like the virus itself isn’t a big problem, since the virus itself most likely won’t effect them.

It is always easier for someone to say something is fine and shouldn’t worry about it. When that thing doesn’t effect them.

Hopefully somewhere between May 1 and May 15 we will start seeing most businesses opening back up.

I would finish the school year out at home, since it's almost done and kids can't be expected to follow precautions of not passing germs.

I have been pretty much living my day to day life fairly normally. Going to work, going to the store, doing projects around the house and riding around my Harley. I'm looking forward to having a place to ride my Harley to.

At the end of the day it is always easier for someone who is not in those peoples shoes to say they should be fine, no worries, they will bounce back.

Which quite honestly that is the same type of thinking people are complaining about with our younger generation though. It is easy for our young generation to act like the virus itself isn’t a big problem, since the virus itself most likely won’t effect them.

It is always easier for someone to say something is fine and shouldn’t worry about it. When that thing doesn’t effect them.

The economy affects us all doesn’t it? That’s what everyone keeps saying over and over and over and over.

And for the record I’d be saying the same thing if I was collecting an unemployment check.

Some of you all act like you have never experienced financial hardship in your life before.

COVID-19 is killing blacks at a higher rate in America than any other race. I’ll be sure to let my family know that the economy and the fate of the unemployed are more important than their lives.

COVID-19 is killing blacks at a higher rate in America than any other race. I’ll be sure to let my family know that the economy and the fate of the unemployed are more important than their lives.

That is a very frightening statistic that needs to be addressed, to be sure. From what I have seen, untreated or poorly controlled pre- existing conditions, are a big reason for this. Black people are more likely to have and die from complications of diabetes and hypertension in general. Socioeconomic background is a primary factor in a person’s ability to get good medical care. By throwing more people, both black and white into poverty, do you think this will help? More likely, it will do more harm to health of the black population.

Getting back to work safely, is in everyone’s best interest. Very few people are saying (anymore) “Let’s stop all this nonsense and go back to the way things were.” People are looking for ways to do it appropriately. Yes, of course money is a worry for EVERYONE, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Edited by Beechwoodfan

That is a very frightening statistic that needs to be addressed, to be sure. From what I have seen, untreated or poorly controlled pre- existing conditions, are a big reason for this. Black people are more likely to have and die from complications of diabetes and hypertension in general. Socioeconomic background is one factor in a person’s ability to get good medical care. By throwing more people, both black and white into poverty, do you think this will help? More likely, it will do more harm to health of the black population.

Getting back to work safely, is in everyone’s best interest. Very few people are saying (anymore) “Let’s stop all this nonsense and go back to the way things were.” People are looking for ways to do it appropriately. Yes, of course money is a worry for EVERYONE, and there is nothing wrong with that.

It’s selective compassion. These economic issues aren’t new. They just affect a set of people who have never been affected by economic issues before. This belief that we will be a third world country if we don’t open back up as soon as possible is laughable. Who are we really trying to save? The people temporarily out of work because of a pandemic that we have no ability at all to prepare, plan and address properly or the disenfranchised of the country who will continue to die and suffer from the failings of our country?

It’s insane to think we can do both but only choose to do one.

It’s selective compassion. These economic issues aren’t new. They just affect a set of people who have never been affected by economic issues before.

This needs to be blown up and put on billboards everywhere. THIS is why everyone is freaking out about the economy.