Coronavirus Independence Day

If the USA is opened back up in 2020 will you go back out in public?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. If the USA is opened back up in 2020 will you go back out in public?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but always with a mask on
    • Depends on the situation with COVID-19

This needs to be blown up and put on billboards everywhere. THIS is why everyone is freaking out about the economy.

Some people are finding out quickly what it's like to live paycheck to paycheck, and that it's not always bad decisions or laziness that put people in those types of spots.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It’s selective compassion. These economic issues aren’t new. They just affect a set of people who have never been affected by economic issues before. This belief that we will be a third world country if we don’t open back up as soon as possible is laughable. Who are we really trying to save? The people temporarily out of work because of a pandemic that we have no ability at all to prepare, plan and address properly or the disenfranchised of the country who will continue to die and suffer from the failings of our country?

It’s insane to think we can do both but only choose to do one.

I don’t have selective compassion. I have spent the vast majority of my 42 years as an RN working with the underprivileged population, including 10 working as a volunteer RN in a clinic that only treated the homeless.

Quite frankly, I agree with you that the stock market will come back. It always does.

I also believe Americans will go back to work and eventually be ok.

What I am trying to figure out is, do you think we cannot safely start to rerun to work soon? What is wrong with trying to figure out healthy work place adjustments so that people can safely return to work?

What I am trying to figure out is, do you think we cannot safely start to rerun to work soon? What is wrong with trying to figure out healthy work place adjustments so that people can safely return to work?

What is soon?

With no proven therapy to treat it and no vaccine, then no, it's not safe to "return to normal."

I don’t have selective compassion. I have spent the vast majority of my 42 years as an RN working with the underprivileged population, including 10 working as a volunteer RN in a clinic that only treated the homeless.

Quite frankly, I agree with you that the stock market will come back. It always does.

Nothing wrong with that at all. I just don’t think we need to rush into re-opening the country when we seem still be well behind the eight ball. We are setup to take care of the unemployed for multiple months. We should continue to take care of them while they are at home, we should continue to figure out how to help small businesses recover and we should continue to educate ourselves on how to cope with and eventually overcome COVID-19. Why do we need to make another Petri dish?

I don’t understand why making sure people go back to work by June is a bigger concern than making sure we don’t lose anymore American lives along with making sure that our healthcare system is fully capable of taking care of all Americans.

As of today I don’t see or hear anything that gives me confidence that we are moving in the right direction.

What is soon?

With no proven therapy to treat it and no vaccine, then no, it's not safe to "return to normal."

I never said return to normal. And “soon” Can include when we finally get widespread testing and find out who has already been exposed and has immunity. Those people can safely go back to work. Widespread testing is, IMO, the biggest single factor in people going back.

There are plenty of essential businesses that have already made changes. I personally know of a local factory that has spread its staff out, provided face masks, initiated flexible 24/7 work hours, and allowed at risk employees to stay at home on payroll.

What is wrong with other less essential businesses starting to look at ways they can make changes to safely allow workers to come back? Every business is different. Not saying restaurants, theaters, or ball parks will be back quickly. I do thing a very gradual well planned return to work for others can happen in a month depending on how the Covid statistics look.

I never said return to normal. And “soon” Can include when we finally get widespread testing and find out who has already been exposed and has immunity. Those people can safely go back to work. Widespread testing is, IMO, the biggest single factor in people going back.

There are plenty of essential businesses that have already made changes. I personally know of a local factory that has spread its staff out, provided face masks, initiated flexible 24/7 work hours, and allowed at risk employees to stay at home on payroll.

What is wrong with other less essential businesses starting to look at ways they can make changes to safely allow workers to come back? Every business is different. Not saying restaurants, theaters, or ball parks will be back quickly. I do thing a very gradual well planned return to work for others can happen in a month depending on how the Covid statistics look.

We will never have "widespread testing" because people in charge don't want those numbers being public. So we can go ahead and forget about that being an option.

I work for an essential business and we made changes over a month ago and have continued making changes the whole time. We could continue doing business the way we are for an indefinite amount of time.

Nobody's business is more important than public health. I'm sorry there are businesses struggling and ones that won't survive, but given the choice between that and my friends and family staying alive and healthy, those businesses gotta go. Nobody forced them to go into business or choose the business type they decided on. I couldn't care less about struggling businesses when compared to the health and safety of our communities.

We will never have "widespread testing" because people in charge don't want those numbers being public. So we can go ahead and forget about that being an option.

I work for an essential business and we made changes over a month ago and have continued making changes the whole time. We could continue doing business the way we are for an indefinite amount of time.

Nobody's business is more important than public health. I'm sorry there are businesses struggling and ones that won't survive, but given the choice between that and my friends and family staying alive and healthy, those businesses gotta go. Nobody forced them to go into business or choose the business type they decided on. I couldn't care less about struggling businesses when compared to the health and safety of our communities.

Well said!

All of this!

Great questions.

I work in a 2.5 million square foot facility.

We have nearly 5,000 employees.

We have people from virtually every race and every nationality.

We have made multiple changes to how we operate to protect our employees. Including taking everyone's temperature when they enter the building.

A ton of effort has been put into spreading our people to 6+ feet distance.

We are running at full capacity.

IMO we a a petri dish for how to do things right.

As others have said. The whole save the economy message is not just about money.

It is also about saving lives. Destroying the economy will cost many lives. There is a valid arguement that it will cost more lives than the virus will.

If that’s your argument, then we already lose MANY lives because of economic issues. Why is it just now a problem for everybody?

If that’s your argument, then we already lose MANY lives because of economic issues. Why is it just now a problem for everybody?

It is not just now a problem.

This arguement was brought up in the very beginning.

People have ignored the argument since the beginning.

It is not just now a problem.

This arguement was brought up in the very beginning.

People have ignored the argument since the beginning.

My point remains the same. "Just now" means with the Coronavirus. All the things we are seeing because of the shut downs are not new, they are just affecting different people than usual.

So again, why is it just now a problem?

Not sure how anyone can say widespread testing will never occur.

Personally, I prefer to look at constructive possibilities to get people back to work than saying no, never, and seemingly to revel in the possibility that people who have never financially been hurt before, may be hurting now.

That being said, I am done with this particular topic. We can politely agree to disagree.