Russell 45 Greenup Co. 43

I got a call, and seems Coach Hicks and a Fan had words.Anybody know what went on?

Why does it even matter?

It had nothing to do with the game.

Back to the game I heard no one say anything about the ball getting stuck. A foul is a foul with 7:59 to go in the first quarter the same as it is a foul with less than a second. I am just glad they had the GUTS to call it.

Greenup has no complaints in this game as they got away with an obvious double dribble during a key late possession.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The ball definitely was NOT stuck. I thought that the last 6 seconds of the game felt like an eternity. I honestly can say that I have no clue if he was fouled before or after the buzzer. The referee that called the foul on Austin Blair and the Greenup kid at the end is "whistle happy." Every game I've ever seen him referee I come away saying, "That was the worst refereeing I've ever seen."

That put aside, The Russell Kids looked really tired in pregame and during the second half. Four games in 5 days is brutal. I guess coach Dodd either wanted to slow the game down and work the clock or save some of the team's energy. If it is the first reason, I hate this strategy. It's like the prevent defense in football. It hardly ever works. Anyway, great job this week. 4-0 is a great start!

It amazes me how Coach Hicks is allowed to coach. I hear people say that he is great for the kids and they love him, but his antics give GCHS a bad rep. I will say that he has gotten much better from about two years ago. We used to sit behind him when they came to Russell and he would mouth off to the fans. I do commend him on his improvement (then again I don't sit by him anymore so he still may be like he always was).

This may have been the worst officiated game of all time. The foul on Blair when Wright slipped and fell was a joke. The foul at the end of the game I couldn't see.

There were 46 fouls called in this game. It was not that physical. Russell was 7-15 on free throws a few of those being the front end of one and the bonus. Make the free throws and this game never gets close.

I have to agree with Mr. Freeze. For the last 3 years every time Russell gets a big lead they sit on the ball and stop looking to score. This kills me. Athletically this game was not even close. Russell was bigger, stronger, and faster at every position. When you get a big lead why not keep attacking instead of throwing the ball around the outside? Eventually turning it over.

Quit jacking up so many threes. Vanhoose and Blair a very good at driving and creating shots. Gill is to athletic for anyone in the region to handle down low. TAKE THE BALL INSIDE.

Jim Hicks is the worst example of sportsmanship for a group of kids that I have ever seen. Continually out on the floor crying during the game. At the end of the game he did not shake hands with the Russell players or coaches. He ran to the end of the floor in front of the Russell student section crying and pouting like a 5 year old that just got grounded. I would say this action led to the confrontation that some are reffering to. I fully understand being competetive and hating to loose, but good lord. GROW UP.

Greenup Co head coach Jim Hicks.

Well, I wasn't there and speak for the circumstances, but I think it takes a pretty sore loser to not shake hands after the game is over. The only exception to that rule is a case like the high school football game a few months ago where the team left their starters in for the purpose of getting a national record for the running back. In that case, you don't shake hands and in most cases you shake fists.

Well, I wasn't there and speak for the circumstances, but I think it takes a pretty sore loser to not shake hands after the game is over. The only exception to that rule is a case like the high school football game a few months ago where the team left their starters in for the purpose of getting a national record for the running back. In that case, you don't shake hands and in most cases you shake fists.

I was there. He is the poorest example of sportsmanship I have ever seen for a head coach. Sore Loser doesn't even come close. He made some remarks about the "supposedly best team in the region" as well that may come back to haunt him.

I was there. He is the poorest example of sportsmanship I have ever seen for a head coach. Sore Loser doesn't even come close. He made some remarks about the "supposedly best team in the region" as well that may come back to haunt him.

I totally agree FBALL, it sets a poor example for your team who you are suppose to be the leader for

Apparently this guy has a bad reputation of doing this. I wasnt at the game, but if any of this is the least bit true, then the Greenup Co. folks should do something about this sad situation. With antics like this going on, no matter how well your team finishes this season, your achievements will be over shadowed by the "man" you call a head coach. Coaches are the ultimate leaders of a team. Not only do good coaches teach basketball, but they demonstrate ways to handle yourself when winning or losing and teach life lessons. A coach can have a lot do with a young mans maturity into adulthood. I feel sorry for the GC players and fans that have to put up with this guy.

No offense to Greenup County folks because I have nothing against you, but this seems to be the norm throughout the district. I hear first person stories from kids that transferred out of GCHS that teachers turn a blind eye to certain behaviors. I wish parents would step up and voice their opinions. Coach Hicks would have been gone the second time he displayed himself the way he does when he first came to the school ( I always give a second chance). After telling the Russell Schools attorney to "shut up" a couple years ago from the bench in the middle of the game with the superintendent beside him after telling him to settle down (I was right behind him when that happened) that would have been the end of him. I feel bad for the kids. They deserve to be in a safe nurturing environment at school and on the court.