Everything posted by Mr. Freeze
-
Clinton Co. vs. Raceland / 1st round playoff
Exactly what I was thinking! Awesome!
-
Raceland 40 Greenup Co. 6
Yes sir. They were overpowering. The GC o-line was holding all night. The refs let it go in the second half because they were up by so much (that's actually words told to players when they complained about it). I don't have a problem with letting some of that stuff go when a game is out of reach, but...............Some of the Raceland boys told me it was the dirtiest game they every played in. Many of them have cleat marks up their arms and calves from the pile ups.
-
Raceland 40 Greenup Co. 6
Great post Ram! The line was dominant tonight. They've been great this year. They did a great job at LCA last week stopping Hayden and holding him to less than 50 rushing yards (he had 295 yards in tonight's loss to Corbin). They are big and strong and have great linebackers playing behind them. Carver laid the smack on Greenup's QB tonight in the first half. Yowsers! They have a hard-hitting defense and it all starts on the line!
-
Little League & Minor League Updates (fastpitch softball)
Russell-Flatwoods over Grayson 31-0. Scored 25 in first inning. http://www.dailyindependent.com/localsports/local_story_187230344.html
-
Who is the Best H.S. Pitcher you've seen or better faced?
Ricky Clelland from Buckeye North High School in eastern Ohio. He was drafted in the 5th round by the Expos in the late 80's. He threw in the 95-98 MPH range in high school and often had control problems. Talk about scary! A guy throwing that fast and being all over the place with his pitches!
-
Merle Kidwell Named Skipper at Russell
Just to clear something up... non-tenured teachers are always pink-slipped. A matter of fact, I got mine today. It is just procedure.
-
16th region players
No it's not. She is the best.
-
What if.........
Oh, definitely. It wouldn't even be close. The women would have trouble getting off shots over the boys and getting to the basket on drives. Boys would win by at least 30-40.
-
What if.........
I truly think that a LARGE majority of High school boys teams would beat TENN or UCONN women. And when I say LARGE, I mean like 85-90%. They may have some tall girls, but they would still have trouble getting a shot off over much-more athletic boys. And, BTW, Candace Parker could not dunk over a boy. She can't even dunk over a woman. She only dunks when she is wide open and can stutter-step to get her timing correct. Boys are just too fast, too strong, too athletic, too physical. Now, having that said, the LARGE majority of college women's teams would destroy most boys high school teams in shooting contests, though!
-
Elliot Co. vs. Raceland 2/8
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Elliot wins by AT LEAST 1 point.
-
Has Greenup County Lost Leading Scorer?
Well, that may have been the policy with the boys at practice, but if you read my post, everyone in the section behind Greenup's bench at Russell heard it and saw the fit he threw in front of his boys.
-
Has Greenup County Lost Leading Scorer?
Of Course! It's a Joke down there! All this "chatter" said by another poster IS a HUGE deal. Please don't listen to the downplaying of the parents role in all of this.
-
Leach Resigns at Greenup Co.
I do not know or have not witnessed Coach Sammons or Coach Logan's coaching so I wouldn't know. As for Coach Hicks: He wasn't shy about using AWFUL language at games in front of the boys and fans, so I can imagine what he did behind closed doors. I remember a games at Russell where he flung a chair at the bleachers and almost hit a girl in the first row then used some choice language to the schools lawyer, JL, after being told to settle down. And that's just one game that I happened to see. I'm not condoning Leach's language, if that even happened to begin with, but anyone is crazy if they think this doesn't happen at almost every school. Like said before, kids hear and USE this language themselves at practices and in their everyday life. I think they can handle it.
-
Leach Resigns at Greenup Co.
Great post 85! That would send a horrible message to the kids and not teach them anything to let them back on the team.
-
Leach Resigns at Greenup Co.
There is a thing called "forced resignation" where an employee is forced either formally or behind the scenes. Like 85Lived said, Greenup sides with parents and kids and doesn't support their staff. They have it backwards from every other school.
-
Has Greenup County Lost Leading Scorer?
I'm sorry. That was complete sarcasm. Didn't mean for it to sound serious. My bad.
-
Has Greenup County Lost Leading Scorer?
AHH YES! The "good 'ol boy" system. Gotta love Eastern KY.
-
Leach Resigns at Greenup Co.
Choose your words wisely. QUIT? I doubt it. He's not going to quit over a few loses. If everyone was supportive of him like you say, I doubt he would just quit. Run off or asked to leave sounds more of a likely reason. Unless he has been offered a better position. If that is the case, then I would advise him to "get the heck out of there."
-
Leach Resigns at Greenup Co.
Thank you. A reasonable person. They are losing games. That's what all of this boils down to and the parents are embarassed. He's been given half a season to completely change a system and get kids accustomed to it, and he gets run off. They want an anarchy. If they think they are better coaches, then they can apply for the new opening.
-
Leach Resigns at Greenup Co.
I keep hearing this phrase "They just want to play." They were just playing until the Coach was questioned and a big "incident" transpired. Coach's decision is final. Move on without the player and let the other kids play.
-
Leach Resigns at Greenup Co.
I agree, but you can't let kids disrespect their coach just so they can play. They aren't at school to play basketball. It's an extracurricular activity. They don't have a right to play. If a kid doesn't follow the rules or is a problem, they don't deserve and should not be allowed to be on the team.
-
Leach Resigns at Greenup Co.
I'm guessing you think Coach Gillispie should be run off too. It takes TIME to teach a new system. There is no patience with people in this state. What's the deal? Coach Leach will go on to bigger things than the 16th region, hopefully. His talents would be wasted here.
-
Leach Resigns at Greenup Co.
No. IF he did that, then he was wrong. I'm sure old Hicks or any other coach in the area have never done anything like that;) But that doesn't excuse it. But I'm sure you've said things out of frustration in the heat of a moment. I don't mean to get riled up about this, but I am tired of parents and kids dictating the way professionals do their job. Coach Leach knows more about b-ball than 99% of people in the whole area. He was respected enough to be voted the chairman of the whole Men's Basketball board of the NCCAA while at KCU. He comes to a low-profile basketball program, probably expects to be given respect because of his resume and a fair shot to show his abilities, and he instead gets crapped on by everyone. It's not his fault no matter what you say. The problem is the people in the district, fans and administrators. This goes back further than one incident. In the eyes of a large majority of people Coach Leach, I'm sure of it, has done nothing wrong. Only at GCHS would this be allowed to escalate to this. This does NOT happen at even a small minority of schools. Coaches are respected and given the benefit of the doubt because they should. They have been hired to do a job. Just because it's not the way you and others would do it, doesn't give them the right to run him, and other coaches, off.
-
Leach Resigns at Greenup Co.
First off, Coach Leach is not going to kick someone off for "no good reason" because he is all class. Why would a coach kick off the leading scorer of their team for no reason? Usually, coach's bend over backwards for their leading scorer. Like the BlueBlazer said in another thread, if a player is a problem on the team, it doesn't matter if he is the leading scorer. He doesn't need to be there. The only other option is to sit the player and not play him. But can you imagine what the reaction would be if he just didn't play? What do you expect a coach to do? He is the leader of the team and his final decision is above all others. His opinion is above the parents, the assistants, the athletic director, administration, and especially the players. If he is not allowed to make these decisions and the school and parents are not supportive, then there is a big problem all around at Greenup. For crying out loud....it's basketball. Why aren't the parents and others up in arms about the low academic test scores. That should be a much bigger issue than a low-profile basketball program. The priorities are out-of-whack in Lloyd.
-
Has Greenup County Lost Leading Scorer?
Judgemental? Do you disagree that there is not the talent that there has been in the past few years? We all knew they would struggle this year before it even started. The situation makes me sick because of parents and administration, though. You and Oldrambler are right that it is sad for the kids. A struggling season should not cause this ridiculous situation in the MIDDLE of the season. I feel that GCHS thinks it is a little more important than it really is. If this were Louisville Male Football or Lexington Catholic Basketball, then maybe I understand the pressure. But Greenup County Basketball? It's just not that big of a deal. Maybe they should just drop the program for a year and regroup. Not a bad idea. I'm not sure if you are familiar with KCU, but it is non-scholorship and has very little recruiting. The team over the last few years has consisted of over a half dozen players from the same Christian school in Canton, OH. Many of the players seek out KCU because they know they will have the chance to play and contend for titles. The resources are not there to go recruit players to fit his system. Coach Leach took those guys and taught them his system and was pretty successful. The current coach has continued Coach Leach's system with the guys Coach Leach taught and almost won the National Championship last year. Just like any coach with a new system (ie. Billy Gillispie) it takes time to teach it and become successful. All the complaining and, in my opinion, arrogance does drip down to the kids. With the parents feeding their kids garbage, that does corrupt the kids minds and makes them not respect the coach. But that's not the kids' fault. I read somewhere earlier that parents are trying to relive their high school years through their kids. I would have to agree with this. In my line of business, I see parents taking their kids' side all the time because anything that kids do that is bad reflects on the parents. They see their reputation as more important than building character in their kid. They don't want their high school friends to think they aren't "popular" anymore. So they complain and fight for their kid to not be disciplined to save their own embarrassment. I get the feeling that a little (or maybe a lot) of this is happening at GCHS. Like teachers say: The job would be a lot easier without the parents.