List Your Final Class AAA Top 5 for 2006

1.) Covington Catholic- Played arguably the toughest schedule in the state and went undefeated against KY teams. The most balanced team that I have ever seen.

2.) Highlands- Had this team been in any other district they would have been in the Regional title game. One of the most dynamic run games in the state and they are the Blue Birds.

3.) Lexington Catholic- The fast and possibly most explosive offense in the state. To bad they didnt have a defense to match that.

4.) Johnson Central- A surprise for many. A very good run game and solid defense but didnt have the numbers and speed to keep up with a good 3A team.

5.) Bowling Green- The best team from the west with plenty of athletes.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. CovCath - Beat #2, #3, #4, and #6 in championship run.

2. LexCath - 7 point playoff loss to CovCath. Scary good offense.

3. Highlands - Typical, solid Bird team.

4. Johnson Central - Led CovCath at half, injury to fullback probably distorted final score.

5. Franklin County - Two slugfests with LeCath.

6. Bowling Green - One dimensional offense. Except for one guy, small on both lines.

7. Central - Played BG tough.

8. Rockcastle - Had a good season.

9. East Jessamine - Being in region with LexCath, Franklin is no picnic.

10. Ashland - Made a nice showing against JC second time.

You could probably take 4 - 7 in any order though.

Thanks for the love. Ashland IMO truly did show what they were capable of that final game. But my top ten would look something like this:

1. Covington Catholic

2. Highlands

3. Johnson Central

Lex Catholic

5. Bowling Green

6. Franklin

7. Central

8. Ashland

E. Jessamine

10. Rockcastle

I'm sure I'll catch heck from my CovCath friends, and I believe there are many (honestly I do), but I don't think there is much if any separation between Highlands and CovCath this past season. Looking as objectively as I can at the two games this year, I see it this way: the first game, Highlands outplayed CovCath. While CovCath won on the scoreboard (and I realize that some will argue that's all that mattered) take away a near miraculous last 51 second drive and a miraculous pass that isn't successful 99 times out of a 100 in high school (and by the way, was unsuccessful the prior times CovCath ran that play in that game) Highlands out played them in the first game. Did they dominate CovCath in the first game? Of course not, or else CovCath wouldn't have been in position to win that game at all. But, looking at the game tape, and the field position given to CovCath with the squibs, Highlands outplayed them in the first game.

In the second game, CovCath's D played a better game than they did the first and that undeniable. But the CovCath O in the second game was not near as productive and Highlands D also played a much better game. Sure CovCath scored 25 points in the second game, but that is very misleading. When you look at what happened in that game, the field position given to the CovCath offense was even better than it was in the first game. Of the 14 offensive drives started by CovCath, 4 or 5 of them were started in Highlands territory. Some like the first one of the second half (which started at the 15) were started deep in Highlands territory. In addition to the one on the 15, two were started at about Highlands 30 due to poor punts. Two CovCath drives started at their own 40 or better. The only score CovCath made where it started deep in CovCath territory was the 70 yd touch down catch and run by Sutton. And if we make that tackle at the CovCath 30 where Peter caught the ball, who knows if CovCath scores at all on that drive, as the CovCath offense did not move the ball effectively in the second game. While the score says CovCath by 10, but for the unforced errors (the bad punts and the fumble), I'm not sure CovCath wins the second game. And if they do, its a 3 point or less margin. To argue that CovCath's win was not largely due to unforced errors by Highlands is an argument that I do not agree with.

And I'm not taking anything away from CovCath's team. The senior class was extremely talented and committed and I'm glad they won the championship. While I'm probably in the minority of Highlands fans, I believe if we can't win it, I'm glad that they did. But the point of this post is to point out my opinion that CovCath, if they were better than Highlands this past season and I don't really think they were, it was by the slimmest of margins.

Some will assuredly disagree with my opinion, but heck its my opinion. Since CovCath won the title, they deserve a 1A ranking, but I truly believe Highlands deserves a 1B ranking.

I'm sure I'll catch heck from my CovCath friends, and I believe there are many (honestly I do), but I don't think there is much if any separation between Highlands and CovCath this past season. Looking as objectively as I can at the two games this year, I see it this way: the first game, Highlands outplayed CovCath. While CovCath won on the scoreboard (and I realize that some will argue that's all that mattered) take away a near miraculous last 51 second drive and a miraculous pass that isn't successful 99 times out of a 100 in high school (and by the way, was unsuccessful the prior times CovCath ran that play in that game) Highlands out played them in the first game. Did they dominate CovCath in the first game? Of course not, or else CovCath wouldn't have been in position to win that game at all. But, looking at the game tape, and the field position given to CovCath with the squibs, Highlands outplayed them in the first game.

In the second game, CovCath's D played a better game than they did the first and that undeniable. But the CovCath O in the second game was not near as productive and Highlands D also played a much better game. Sure CovCath scored 25 points in the second game, but that is very misleading. When you look at what happened in that game, the field position given to the CovCath offense was even better than it was in the first game. Of the 14 offensive drives started by CovCath, 4 or 5 of them were started in Highlands territory. Some like the first one of the second half (which started at the 15) were started deep in Highlands territory. In addition to the one on the 15, two were started at about Highlands 30 due to poor punts. Two CovCath drives started at their own 40 or better. The only score CovCath made where it started deep in CovCath territory was the 70 yd touch down catch and run by Sutton. And if we make that tackle at the CovCath 30 where Peter caught the ball, who knows if CovCath scores at all on that drive, as the CovCath offense did not move the ball effectively in the second game. While the score says CovCath by 10, but for the unforced errors (the bad punts and the fumble), I'm not sure CovCath wins the second game. And if they do, its a 3 point or less margin. To argue that CovCath's win was not largely due to unforced errors by Highlands is an argument that I do not agree with.

And I'm not taking anything away from CovCath's team. The senior class was extremely talented and committed and I'm glad they won the championship. While I'm probably in the minority of Highlands fans, I believe if we can't win it, I'm glad that they did. But the point of this post is to point out my opinion that CovCath, if they were better than Highlands this past season and I don't really think they were, it was by the slimmest of margins.

Some will assuredly disagree with my opinion, but heck its my opinion. Since CovCath won the title, they deserve a 1A ranking, but I truly believe Highlands deserves a 1B ranking.

Two good teams but CCH was undeniably the better team, a very balanced team, passing, running the ball, offensive line that dominated, great QB, defensively sound, great kicker and special teams. To win championship you have to play like CCH did this year. Great Job CCH!! You are true Champions.

Not to take away from anything either team did this year, but, you could play the what if scenario with any game...I'm sure alot on Danville people could point out alot of what ifs against NCC, just to make an example of what I'm talking about, but, the truth of the matter is, missing tackles, long pass plays, field position, penalties and turnovers all part of every game and the fact the outcome was the same in both games would make me believe even more that CC was the better team, without a doubt..

Not to take away from anything either team did this year, but, you could play the what if scenario with any game...I'm sure alot on Danville people could point out alot of what ifs against NCC, just to make an example of what I'm talking about, but, the truth of the matter is, missing tackles, long pass plays, field position, penalties and turnovers all part of every game and the fact the outcome was the same in both games would make me believe even more that CC was the better team, without a doubt..

:ylsuper:

I saw both CovCath/Highlands games and the CovCath/LexCath game. In my opinion, LexCath would have done the same thing to Highlands they did last year - beat them. We'll never know, but LexCath was very, very good this year.

I agree on most of what you said. The thing that bothers me is how terrible our offensive game plan was. IMO the coaching staff did little to no adjusting in the second half to put our kids in position to win the game. I definately think our kids were just as talented as CCH, but we were out coached bottom line.........:thumb: :thumb:

I saw both CovCath/Highlands games and the CovCath/LexCath game. In my opinion, LexCath would have done the same thing to Highlands they did last year - beat them. We'll never know, but LexCath was very, very good this year.

I must agree with you. Not to take anything away from Highlands, but I thought they just matched up better with Cov. Cath, and being the big rivalry game, made a difference. Had the playoff format been the same as last year (Lex Cath vs. Highlands in 2nd Round), the argument about Highlands being 1B would not, IMO be worth a thing. Also, due to matchups, if the playoff format was the same as last year, Highlands would have faced Franklin Co. at home in round one. Would have been a very intriguing matchup.

CovCath - They beat everyone they had to beat to win the title. Their offensive balance was great all year and in the playoffs their seniors stepped up big and their Offensive line was just ACES!!!

Highlands - Still man for man one of the best teams in the state reguardless of class (Hey, I don't like them, but I respect them)

Lexington Catholic - If they had a defense, they'd be putting the trophy in the case this season.

Johnson Central - Big tough running team that just ran into a buzzsaw in the playoffs

Bowling Green - 13-2 and state runner ups. And I think that people in attendance Friday didn't see the Bowling Green team that played most of the season.

I must agree with you. Not to take anything away from Highlands, but I thought they just matched up better with Cov. Cath, and being the big rivalry game, made a difference. Had the playoff format been the same as last year (Lex Cath vs. Highlands in 2nd Round), the argument about Highlands being 1B would not, IMO be worth a thing. Also, due to matchups, if the playoff format was the same as last year, Highlands would have faced Franklin Co. at home in round one. Would have been a very intriguing matchup.

That just goes to show how good Region 3 was this year in relation to the other regions. In my opinion, if CovCath, LexCath, Highlands, or Franklin were in any of the other regions they would have been that region's champs.

I agree on most of what you said. The thing that bothers me is how terrible our offensive game plan was. IMO the coaching staff did little to no adjusting in the second half to put our kids in position to win the game. I definately think our kids were just as talented as CCH, but we were out coached bottom line.........:thumb: :thumb:

Raiderbird, we'll just have to disagree on why we lost the game. Actually we did more adjusting at half than what you think. Interceptions, dropped passes, a fumble, off sides penalties and punting problems were not caused by the lack of half time adjustments and were not caused by bad coaching. Those things are why we lost the game. You cannot do those things when you are playing a very good team like CovCath.

and just 4, I agree with the thought that Danville could easily make the claim that they had the better team over NCC this year. NCC was fortunate to win the state game. That's not what if, its reality. If you don't believe that sometimes the better team does not win, I could point out example after example of underdogs, decided underdogs, winning games they "should" not have won, and you and I have had different experiences playing and watching games. There is zero doubt in my mind that my senior year we had a much better team than Campbell County. We were undefeated going into the last game of the year. Campbell County had had several losses. They beat us. No way you will ever convince me that they had the better team. Sometimes the better teams make mistakes that result in the lesser team winning. Sometimes the better team comes into a game tight and plays not to lose. Sometimes things don't go the way they normally do. It happens sometimes. For Highlands, it happened playing a team that was all and all in my opinion, its equal. And don't forget, I'm not saying we were better than CovCath by some large margin. I actually said that I thought CovCath was 1A and we were 1B.

And Covercorner, I don't totally disagree with you. Your receivers would have presented some matchup problems for us with their speed. Then again, against CovCath in the second game, they did not burn us with their speed. Bovard, a very talented and speedy receiver, caught what 3 or 4 passes, none of which were long passes where he had beat us deep. A quick out for 3 yards the first play, a skinny post for about 15, and an out pattern for about 15 yds are the only passes I can recall him catching. Sutton likewise, other than the td after the missed tackle that he turned into a td, also did not hurt us on offense in the second game (he was the defensive MVP for them however). Likewise, while Buckley had a few decent runs, its not like he ran at will against us (if he would have, then CovCath would have had more long drive tds, which they definitely did not). So I'm not sure if LexCath would have beaten us. But, since they did not play, we won't ever know. What I do know is what I saw in the two Highlands CovCath games.