List Your Final Class AAA Top 5 for 2006

I saw both CovCath/Highlands games and the CovCath/LexCath game. In my opinion, LexCath would have done the same thing to Highlands they did last year - beat them. We'll never know, but LexCath was very, very good this year.

I also of course saw CovCath play and also saw LexCath play Franklin Co. Maybe LexCath would have beaten us like last year, but I don't think so. With Burke as the qb, they only scored 17 points against us last year. If they were as good offensively this year, maybe you are right. But in the one game I watched, they were no where near as good on offense. Admittedly, that one game may have been an aberration. Last year they passed the ball extremely well, and also ran the ball extremely well. This year, they were as one dimensional passing the ball as Highlands was running the ball, maybe even more one dimensional. And also keep in mind that this year, we were much, much better offensively than last year and still very good defensively. Don't forget that for all the talk about CovCath's offense this year (and it was a good one), it was Highlands offense that was the leading offense (yds per game) in N. Ky this year playing a schedule comparable with CovCath's.

And to prove that I'm not totally biased, I agree that CovCath's kicking facets were better than Highlands. But the difference in the two teams' punters was not near as great as what happened in the second game. If Clay and the other Highlands' punters shanked more than two punts all year, I don't remember it. For Clay to shank 2 or 3 in one game is, in a word, unfortunate. To have the back up punter then come in and shank the first one he attempts is simply bizarre. And both of those kids punted the ball very well all season. Take away that field position and look what CovCath did offensively when they had to drive the field to score and its one, just one, td the entire second game.

I really don't think CovCath's Offense or Defense was any better than Highlands. CovCath did have an advantage in the kicking game however and it was the kicking game that decided both games. So I can agree with the statement that overall CovCath was better than Highlands, but not by any great margin. And I thus retract my prior statement that I thought Highlands was better than CovCath. The kicking game gave them an edge.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That just goes to show how good Region 3 was this year in relation to the other regions. In my opinion, if CovCath, LexCath, Highlands, or Franklin were in any of the other regions they would have been that region's champs.

I agree!!!!! Heck, you can add Johnson Central to that list and there may be you top 5.

I also of course saw CovCath play and also saw LexCath play Franklin Co. Maybe LexCath would have beaten us like last year, but I don't think so. With Burke as the qb, they only scored 17 points against us last year. If they were as good offensively this year, maybe you are right. But in the one game I watched, they were no where near as good on offense. Admittedly, that one game may have been an aberration. Last year they passed the ball extremely well, and also ran the ball extremely well. This year, they were as one dimensional passing the ball as Highlands was running the ball, maybe even more one dimensional. And also keep in mind that this year, we were much, much better offensively than last year and still very good defensively. Don't forget that for all the talk about CovCath's offense this year (and it was a good one), it was Highlands offense that was the leading offense (yds per game) in N. Ky this year playing a schedule comparable with CovCath's.

And to prove that I'm not totally biased, I agree that CovCath's kicking facets were better than Highlands. But the difference in the two teams' punters was not near as great as what happened in the second game. If Clay and the other Highlands' punters shanked more than two punts all year, I don't remember it. For Clay to shank 2 or 3 in one game is, in a word, unfortunate. To have the back up punter then come in and shank the first one he attempts is simply bizarre. And both of those kids punted the ball very well all season. Take away that field position and look what CovCath did offensively when they had to drive the field to score and its one, just one, td the entire second game.

I really don't think CovCath's Offense or Defense was any better than Highlands. CovCath did have an advantage in the kicking game however and it was the kicking game that decided both games. So I can agree with the statement that overall CovCath was better than Highlands, but not by any great margin.

LexCath would have scored more points on Highlands last year, but played very conservative because Burke hurt his knee early in the game. Highlands could not move the ball on LexCath, so Sphire did not feel threatened.

LexCath would have scored more points on Highlands last year, but played very conservative because Burke hurt his knee early in the game. Highlands could not move the ball on LexCath, so Sphire did not feel threatened.

Yeah, I've heard that Burke was hurt stuff before. If necessary, I'll review that tape again and tell you how many times Burke continued to run the ball after he hurt his knee. If we agree that Spire was a good coach, and I do think he was, and we postulate that Burke's knee was really hurting him, do you think its conservative play calling when you continue to call running plays for your hurt qb? The simple truth is that Burke continued to run the football late into the game. Will you agree that a qb running an option play usually is in the position to get drilled by the outside linebacker? He ran the option play in the second half (if you remember, Israel fumbled the pitch and Highlands recovered the fumble). Knowing that the qb often gets drilled running the option (and he did on the play in question), it doesn't look like Spire was too worried about Burke's knee. That's not going conservative to protect your qb. Perhaps on the last two drives when the game was decided he stopped running Burke, but up until then Burke was running and passing the ball very well. Whatever degree Justin was hurt, it did not effect his performance in that game from what I saw on tape and in person. Heck, on third and 4 on the very next drive after he hurt his knee going out of bounds on the visitors sideline, he ran a naked bootleg towards the Highlands sideline to get a first down. Again, doesn't sound like Spire was too worried about his qb being hurt, getting even more hurt or being too conservative. And I don't mean to take anything away from Justin or LexCath last year. They flat out beat us and it was the best defensive game I've seen against Highlands since Rockcastle drilled us in 02. Well, maybe the Colerain defense in 05 was a comparable defensive game by the Colerain kids.

And for the final trump card, I had reason to talk to Coach Letton right after he became the head coach. After we discussed other matters we started talking about the 05 game. He told me that their entire coaching staff was worried about a Highlands comeback until there was about 3 minutes left in the game. Doesn't sound to me like they didn't feel threatened and quickly went conservative after Justin hurt his knee. But we can each think what we want I guess. I'm just basing my opinion what I saw on the tape and what I was told by the then defensive coordinator and current head coach.

1. CovCath - Beat #2, #3, #4, and #6 in championship run.

2. LexCath - 7 point playoff loss to CovCath. Scary good offense.

3. Highlands - Typical, solid Bird team.

4. Johnson Central - Led CovCath at half, injury to fullback probably distorted final score.

5. Franklin County - Two slugfests with LeCath.

6. Bowling Green - One dimensional offense. Except for one guy, small on both lines.

7. Central - Played BG tough.

8. Rockcastle - Had a good season.

9. East Jessamine - Being in region with LexCath, Franklin is no picnic.

10. Ashland - Made a nice showing against JC second time.

You could probably take 4 - 7 in any order though.

That is East heavy, but it should be!

:thumb:

Not sure why so many have Johnson Central rated so highly when they were beaten worse than Highlands, Lex Cath, and BG by Cov Cath.

1 Cov Cath - The best team in 3A.

2 Lex Cath - Lost to Cov Cath in a shootout 56-49

3 Highlands - Lost twice to Cov Cath. One was close, the other was by 10

4 Bowling Green - Lost to Cov Cath by 19 in State Championship

5 Johnson Central - Lost to Cov Cath by 24 on their home field.

Not sure why so many have Johnson Central rated so highly when they were beaten worse than Highlands, Lex Cath, and BG by Cov Cath.

1 Cov Cath - The best team in 3A.

2 Lex Cath - Lost to Cov Cath in a shootout 56-49

3 Highlands - Lost twice to Cov Cath. One was close, the other was by 10

4 Bowling Green - Lost to Cov Cath by 19 in State Championship

5 Johnson Central - Lost to Cov Cath by 24 on their home field.

Seems to be a trend here.:ylsuper: