What did T, CCH, and NCC have in common...

theguru

Junkie got it. They could all pass the ball and they were all pretty decent against the pass. Ryle, BG, and Danville were all much weaker in those two areas.

Also, the 2A game featured two teams that couldn't pass the ball so by default one of them had to win.

If you think back through the years this is a factor time and time again.

I haven't seen the stats, but, in listening to the NCC/Danville game, it sounded like the Ads were having quite a bit of success in the passing game..

Were they not?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I agree Russell is a run based offense and Jones threw 3 Ints Friday, However, He also threw for close to 1300 yards during the season with 14 TD's and only 4 Ints. The game against Belfry, All three of Russell's TD's were passes.

So, maybe it's not totally a balanced attack, but their passing attack wasn't non-existent.

I was thinking the same thing. The Danville fumble probably led to the single A win more than anything else. Granted NCC had to pass to win, but an opportune turnover was more the key here.....
It wasn't the fact that were outgained on offense by almost 200 yards?

Junkie got it. They could all pass the ball and they were all pretty decent against the pass. Ryle, BG, and Danville were all much weaker in those two areas.

Also, the 2A game featured two teams that couldn't pass the ball so by default one of them had to win.

Mercer's coaching staff was so concerned about the wind, they even took pitch sweeps out of the game plan!!

However, Mercer only attempted 1 pass and even at that their QB threw it away because Russell sniffed out the screen play. (..and Wills blew him up!) So it may be premature on your part to say they CAN'T throw the ball. WOULDN'T (yesterday) is probably a little more accurate.

In the smaller 2 classes I dont think the pass is usually the decisive factor, the last 2 years NCC has used the pass to win but going back further the pass most years was not a big part of teams offenses. But when there has been a quality passing team they have usually faired rather well. In the larger classes if your 1 dimensional it will get you beat ever year at some point. This year BG and JC come to mind. One area that I think NKY and Louisville teams are way ahead of the rest of the state in is passing ability and defense of the pass. In Mayfield I believe we have made a effort the last couple of years to try and get better at passing but even more effort was made at getting better at defending the pass but one problem we have found is that there is a lack of quality passing teams nearby to help us prepare for solid passing teams and you need games against good passing teams to help learn how to defend the pass. Outside of OC there have been few quality passing teams around the west and I cant think of any this year in the east though Brethitt at times has been a great passing team. Until the east and west realize this I think that NKY will continue to pack hardware back home. The 4A hardware stays there anyway due to alot of reasons and this is just one of the reasons.

New Cath was not that great against the pass in the Raceland and Somerset games. Danville is not what i call a great passing team either.

Mercer set a new State record for rushing with almost 5,800 yards in a season. They set the record for rushing TD's in a season as well.It wasn't that they couldn't throw the ball they just didn't have to alot.If you had seen them play other games, when it wasn't 20 degrees and 30=40 mph winds you would have seen that they could throw the ball if needed.If you can't run the ball and play defense, you won't win no matter what level of football.Mercer had 30 int's for the year which is 4 th best all time in a season.

Mercer set a new State record for rushing with almost 5,800 yards in a season. They set the record for rushing TD's in a season as well.It wasn't that they couldn't throw the ball they just didn't have to alot.If you had seen them play other games, when it wasn't 20 degrees and 30=40 mph winds you would have seen that they could throw the ball if needed.If you can't run the ball and play defense, you won't win no matter what level of football.Mercer had 30 int's for the year which is 4 th best all time in a season.

What makes you think they could pass if they wanted to? A number of teams crash and burn with this kind of thinking.I was at the game. Russell was doing a pretty good job of defending the run against Mercer in the Titans closest game of the year. If they could have passed, they surely would have in this game. Balance is the answer, I just don't understand why people resist it.

I do not think any of those teams qualify as a spread team (in either version). Trinity has a pro style attack. CCH and NCC both are I teams that often use a 2 TE looks (NCC goes unbalanced too). Last year CCH has a spread team.

Mercer's coaches did not take the toss out of the game plan. At least not until half time. They ran 3 straight toss sweeps out of the bone inside the 10 before sneaking it for thier first score.

Russel's problem in part was more design more than anything. Look at the pass attempts and of those how many were thrown to Clark. Clark is a great player but everyone knew were the ball was going. I would say 90% or more of Russel's passing game is play action or trick plays (counter crisscross pass). When the other team knows you have to throw PA is not worth much of anything. Russel had been able to move the ball on the ground. With 4 mins, 3 TOs, and already in your opponents side of the field there is not much reason to come out throwing on 3 straight downs.

Ryle had some what of the same problem. Large majority of their passing game I am sure is PA and they dropped a great chance 1st play of the game. I have no clue at all why Ryle used a hurry up no huddle to start that game.

One thing those teams have in common is they have very good kickers. They can get pts when a lot of teams can not. Auto touchbacks help negate a good deal of talent also.

Another thing that those teams have in common is a more flexable design to their offense. They have a way to run the same plays out of a few dirrent formations to take advantage of the defense. Trinity was running a 44 rolled down to look like a 62. That is not hard to run against with small adjustments.

There is no reason a run or pass dominate team can not when a title in any of the classes. People tend to think you have to have a run pass ratio of 40/60, 60/40, or 50/50. De LaSalle runs the oustide veer and throws maybe 1-3 times a game. Its about being able to pass when you want to and run when you want to.

There is no reason a run or pass dominate team can not when a title in any of the classes. People tend to think you have to have a run pass ratio of 40/60, 60/40, or 50/50. De LaSalle runs the oustide veer and throws maybe 1-3 times a game. Its about being able to pass when you want to and run when you want to.

If you are not balanced in 4A you will not win the title.

I guess we have to then define balance. If one believes balance is some pass to run ratio that is some where between 40/60 to 60/40 then I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree. You can look at a number of other states at their top level (what would equal our 4A) and see that teams that do not fit that ratio have and do win championships.

Once again De LaSalle high school ran up a 100+ game winning streak including championships being a run dominate team. They could throw when they wanted to and they wanted to throw very little. South Lake in TX is some thing like 70/30 when it comes to the pass and they do just fine.

I guess we have to then define balance. If one believes balance is some pass to run ratio that is some where between 40/60 to 60/40 then I guess we are going to have to agree to disagree. You can look at a number of other states at their top level (what would equal our 4A) and see that teams that do not fit that ratio have and do win championships.

Once again De LaSalle high school ran up a 100+ game winning streak including championships being a run dominate team. They could throw when they wanted to and they wanted to throw very little. South Lake in TX is some thing like 70/30 when it comes to the pass and they do just fine.

No matter what percentage you use, if you can't sell the pass, you will not be able to run against a good defense. If you have no running game, a good defense will be all over your receivers, and the blitz will be on.

De Lasalle, I think , is a poor example. They are so superior to their competition, that they could win doing anything they want. But when two teams are reasonably well matched, they must have a credible threat on both the ground and through the air.