What did T, CCH, and NCC have in common...

theguru

I would not say De LaSalle was "so superior" then their competition. The run offense forces opponents to play assignment football which works veyr much like a passing game as far as controll.

Throughout the thread there has been a good deal of reference to a "balanced" offense but no one has defined what it is. I was using the percentages to see how much passing or running a team had to do for one to consider them balanced. Since it ws being implied that the number of passing or running plays in game defines if a team is balanced or not.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think when people talk about "balance" they're not talking about running a certain number of runs or passes per game. They're talking about being proficient in both segments of the offensive gameplan. Without one, you can't do the other.

If you are not balanced in 4A you will not win the title.

To be honest with you Trinity is not that balanced. I would say 50% of the time they are in an empty set with no runningbacks and that doesn't count the number of times they throw the football with a runningback in the backfield. We use the word balanced a lot to mean throwing the ball but that's not what it really means. I would not say that Trinity is balanced they are much more of a passing team than a running team.

To be honest with you Trinity is not that balanced. I would say 50% of the time they are in an empty set with no runningbacks and that doesn't count the number of times they throw the football with a runningback in the backfield. We use the word balanced a lot to mean throwing the ball but that's not what it really means. I would not say that Trinity is balanced they are much more of a passing team than a running team.

The biggest thing though is that they can do both. Ryle couldn't really pass. Trinity could pass AND run. That makes a world of difference. While Trinity may pass more than they run, if a team decides they are going to sell out on stopping the pass we can beat them with the run.

Not so fast....

2000 - 484 rushing attempts, 369 passes

2001 - 432 rushing attempts, 286 passes

2002 - 438 rushing attempts, 354 passes

2003 - 404 rushing attempts, 478 passes

2004 - 387 rushing attempts, 301 passes

2005 - 418 rushing attempts, 344 passes

2006 - 419 rushing attempts, 292 passes

That looks pretty balanced to me.

There are 3 types of lies. Lies, Lies and Stats. Of those stats on Trinity I would be interested to see what the first half of games stats wise looked liked. QB scrambles of course go down as rushes, as do sacks. When they get a up in a ball game then of course they run the ball more to run out the clock and to keep the score down to a degree. It would be interesting to see the first half stats of the 4A game. I would say that numbers wise, they would be close; but there were 2 huge scrambles in there.

A team can be proficient in both areas and still be a run or pass dominate team. There was a few things Ryle could have done to open up their running game without throwing the ball.

There are still I am sure a number of other things these teams had in common. Like

Did all three win the turnover margin?

What was average field position for all three?

Were they penalized less often for less yards?

Average 1st down yardage gained?

All those things play fairly large parts in games.