2A State Championship: Mercer County 15 Russell 12

iPapi

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

#1- The previous question of how much did the merger improve Mercer Co.??

They were beating teams so bad that I thought perhaps Mercer Co. would have been awesome without the HHS influence, but I have definitely changed my mind. I cannot imagine Mercer Co. alone beating the Devils. I do not say this to take anything away from the Titans achievements.

I would agree wholeheartedly, and it's too bad you didn't get to the thread that addressed that question before the insults started flying and it was closed.

#4- The Red Devils proved that sometimes playing a weak schedule that you cannot control (in Russell's case with an 8 team district), doesn't always mean you are over-rated. Either RHS was significantly under-rated or the Titans were over-rated. I would like to think we were under estimated.
I would say it was a little bit of both.

The fact that Russell had several key players and starters back from a state championship team was enough to convince me that the Red Devils were for real, even after the close loss to Ashland.

Mercer's schedule was fairly soft, too, and in all honesty, it was hard to get a real good handle on just how good the Titans were. In a sense, it still is.

(unless you are RHS vs Estill Co. in 2004)

You know it's funny. The wife and I were talking about that one on the way home while reading the record book. I wonder how many others know what you are talking about?:sssh: :thumb:

Just one point. #2 on Mercer is there fastest player.

And the sad thing about this is...As good as he is and as fast as he is he will have a tough way to go trying to play higher up than high school. It's not fair some of the talent that gets lost just because they are considered small. Kind of reminds me of a certain back from the Russell system. What a joy to watch but what an aggrevation to know that their size does not get them many looks when it comes to large schools where that could show their talent.

Well frist off when mercer had the ball 4th and 1 get ready to score we did stop them,cause when you stop someones movement the plat is over with,and they gave them the td,but anyways its over and done with so move on.

Did you even read my post? I was talking about Russell's two point conversion attempt. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Yes, I do. What game were you watching. The officials never blew the whistle. He had plenty of time to do that and a few other things. You're acting as though it's absurd to think it would happen. I'm telling you it does and often. If you don't believe me, I'm sorry but it happens. It was a smart play on his part, it got the 6 points instead of a TOD. But in your so original words, whatever makes you feel better.

:thumb: I agree, "IF" it was on purpose that was a very smart and legal play on the runner for Mercer's part. As I said, the replay/highlight that wsaz news showed was very clear that his foward progress WAS stopped. The camera man was on ther sidelines right at the goal line and got a great shot of it, very clear. At any rate imo this play did not beat Russell, 5 turnovers and questionable special teams play did. JMO. Russell represented this area well (and I am not a Russell fan) and I was proud to have an area team represent this area so well. My team (Raceland) bowed out in the regional final to the eventual State Champion in NCC. I would say that overall these two represented this area very well. Congrats to the Red Devils again:thumb: and congrats again to the Mercer Co. Titans on a State Championship, you earned it and deserve it.

Has anyone congratulated Rusell on being the best 2A team in the state? Mercer may have won, barely, 2td's each team. Point afters were huge. Great game Russell, Ive never been prouder of a Russell team.

You obviously didn't read the scoreboard did you? :lol:

I can see an argument for forward progress being stopped, but just watched the replay and he DID get the ball stretched out over the goal line, where it was consequently batted directly down beside #75 who was laying in the endzone and just gathered it in.

Maybe shouldn't have been ruled a fumble after all.

I thought their was a rule on fumbling in the endzone, if a player fumbles into the endzone that same player has to recover it before its considered a touchdown. Maybe I am wrong but someone mentioned a rule like that.

Did you look at stats?

True but the main stat is all that counts in the championship game. What does it matter if Russell had 1000 yards total offense if they could only put 12 points on the board. I am as big a Russell supporter as the majority out there but I realize that the final score is really all that matters. Stats look good on paper and in the record books but have no bearing on the game if you can't put the points up.

I thought their was a rule on fumbling in the endzone, if a player fumbles into the endzone that same player has to recover it before its considered a touchdown. Maybe I am wrong but someone mentioned a rule like that.

That's NOT a highschool rule.

In the college ranks it is known as the "Fourth Down Fumble Rule." There is no such rule in high school. The NCAA rule states that "When on fourth down, before a change of team possession, a Team A fumble is recovered in advance of the fumble by a Team A player other than the fumbler, the ball is dead and returned to the spot of the fumble. If the fumble is recovered behind the spot of the fumble by a Team A player other than the Team A fumbler, the ball is dead at that spot." That also applies on PATs.