2A State Championship: Mercer County 15 Russell 12

iPapi

Just saw WSAZ replay of QB sneak/fumble for 1st Mercer TD. Devils stopped him and play should have been over. Oh well.

It may have had no effect on the game(Mercer might have stopped Devils and got it back quick and scored), but officials at this level should be able to get some calls right.

Sounds like they blew 3 or 4 in Class A final that were big also.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 Words

Turnovers, special teams

The only comment I want to make on this is that Mercer's special teams

didn't seem much if any better except in one aspect - the kickoffs. (Mercer

had two touchbacks). I would wager to say (though I'm not positive) Russell

had more return yards and longer punts on average.

Mercer's lone kicked XP was as badly kicked a good XP as I have ever seen

(It reminded me of the Ashland OT extra point that would have won Russell

the game had it been missed.) Their other XP's were scored on a broken play,

thus I wouldn't say that Mercer's were much better than Russell's if they

were at all, rather that Mercer was able to minimize the effect of their

mistakes in the kicking game. Russell's only missed fieldgoal was a 42 yarder

into a swirling wind.

By far the biggest factor in this game was turnover margin. Russell was driving

toward the Mercer endzone with about 6 minutes left in the first half when

the Devils fumbled the ball. I believe that was a drive that Mercer turned into

points. Though the many TO's sealed Russell's fate, it was Jone's first INT

that really seemed to hurt the Devils as they were driving inside of Titan

territory when it occured. The other three hurt, but not as these two did.

Most importantly, congratulations to Mercer and GREAT job Devils on a

season that just came up three points short. You went up againts improbable

odds and came so very close to doing it again. Keep your heads up, (and this

coming from an often pessimistic person) I was more than impressed with the

effort, the improvement, and the will to win the in the last two weeks of the

season.

I guess that was actually two comments. Oh well...

It's a shame that anyone had to lose this game. Those Red Devils were warriors. There is no question in my mind that these were the two best in AA. It could have gone either way. I'm a Titan through and through but I admired the passion Russell played with. One of the best hard nosed teams I've seen in awhile. I see why all the Russell fans are so proud. #24 you have a bright future ahead of you. Same to you #56.

Great game between two very even teams.

Russell's team speed was right there with Mercer's. So much for being a "very slow team" as coach Cobb was quoted as calling them.

The difference was the turnovers

I thought Russell went to the pass to much in the 4th quarter when they got the wind. With 4:00 minutes to go and down 3 points they still had time to run the ball. It was between the tackles that Russell did most of their damage.

That was a tough wind to throw with any accuracy. Even with the wind the ball would just carry over the top of open recievers.

Again, two very good, very evenly matched teams.

And I'm sure that will be a topic that will be discussed over and over on here.

You are probably right but the bottom line is that Russell turned the ball over 5 times and was outplayed on the special teams. A team no matter who they are cannot expect to turn the ball over 5 times and win vs. anyone, let alone win vs. a good team. Also, this game shows the importance of special teams play. Imo this is probably the most overlooked aspect of the game.

Just one point. #2 on Mercer is there fastest player. Did anyone notice #20 Frazier run him down in the open field and tackle him? I could not believe it. Frazier has some major speed. And don't tell me about angles. There was none.

Just one point. #2 on Mercer is there fastest player. Did anyone notice #20 Frazier run him down in the open field and tackle him? I could not believe it. Frazier has some major speed. And don't tell me about angles. There was none.

LOL...there was an angle.

LOL...there was an angle.

Although Jackson was the fastest player it was not by much. Yes there was an angle but Jackson and Frazier have similar speed. Even on the long TD Frazier was step fot step right behind him. Just not able to make up ground. These 4.3 40 time have been grossly overstated.

You Mercer faithful just have to be best in everything. You could have said the frazier kid is quick. Go gloat. If a Russell fan were to say the sky is blue you would say no it looks more red. Some of you are pathetic.

It's was although nice to see that the players and coaches are a class act.

Mercer Faithful? Gloating? I dont live in Mercer... Harrodsburg...or even close. I have no affiliation. I thought Russell played one heck of a game. Clark is a gamer. Thought without the turnovers Russell could have one the game. Regardless...Frazier had an angle.

I thought the TD call on 4th and goal was pathetic. The overall offiiciating in this game was pretty bad. Neither team gained an advantage from it however.

I agree...

I also didnt understand why Russell went away from the run in the 4th...they moved the ball very well with the run. Mercer never stopped the counter xx the whole 1st half....But didnt run it in the 2nd.

I agree...

I also didnt understand why Russell went away from the run in the 4th...they moved the ball very well with the run. Mercer never stopped the counter xx the whole 1st half....But didnt run it in the 2nd.

Russell moved the ball very well in the third quarter only to come up empty handed. I think with the wind in the 4th they thought they could thow it up and let their playmakers make plays. But with that wind and Mercer's secondary that was awfully tough.

Trying for the big play instead of grinding it out worked against Russell. I would have liked to seen Jones take off and run a couple of more times on the sprint passes.

You Mercer faithful just have to be best in everything. You could have said the frazier kid is quick. Go gloat. If a Russell fan were to say the sky is blue you would say no it looks more red. Some of you are pathetic.

It's was although nice to see that the players and coaches are a class act.

Pathetic????? You have been breathing too many of those fumes from the refineries.

Gus you are correct, there was an angle.