Coach Matney's comments revisited...

theguru

Thank you to everyone that has stepped to the plate to help piece this puzzle together.

The below quotes are what several members stated Coach Matney said:

"If anybody ever tells you this was fair, they are either a liar or a crazy person."

"I was in the post game huddle myself and I never heard him say what UA said. He was very emotional after this game and he was fighting back tears. Our seniors were taking it hard because of what they had been through since there freshman year. He told his seniors not to hang there head about nothing. He told them that all year long people had said that they were no good and wouldn't advance in the playoffs because they played a so called soft schedule. He told his team that if anyone said that about them after tonight that they were either crazy or a bunch of liars."

"Coach Matney's comments were made after the game in which he never mentioned anything about being a private school. All he stated is that it isn't fair BUT that is who we have to play and we played the best we could. He made mentioned also that life isn't fair but you have to be over to overcome adversity."

"I was standing there when it was said and it was made as a means of consoling his kids in a post game meeting. I know you understand that it was for the right to play in what would have been our first state championship. It was not meant as a cut on Cov. Cath.'s great football team or any other parochial or private school."

"We went toe to toe with one of the states premier football powerhouses tonight and held our own. The parochial school get to go out and recruit the states top athletes. Now, if anyone tells you thats fair they're either crazy or a liar. We went up against the best the state has to offer and we held our own. There's no reason.....no reason for anyone on this team to hang their head and think that they're somehow less of a football player or we didn't deserve to be here"

Here are some additional comments about Coach Matney:

"Coach Matney's beliefs are what they are, his beliefs. That doesn't make him a bad person. I know him very well and I have never meet a better person. He loves his kids and this community. I hope that this can put that topic to rest."

"I beleive that deep down inside he is a good person and means well."

"He's not perfect but I love the guy to death, he is a good man, good person, fun to be around, etc. He is a friend. He has an outgoing personality and it is hard not to like him."

"Coach Matney is a great guy."

"I was just saying he loves those kids so much that he might say anything. These kids think the world of him."

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize we don't know exactly what Coach Matney said. However, based on these additional first hand accounts, I think we can conclude that UA was "in the ballpark" with his initial comments.

Feel free to add to this thread but please don't bash the Coach for his opinion (or UA for sharing it). If you disagree with his general position(s) please tell us why. If we can stick to the issues in this thread it can be very constructive for both "sides."

If you've ever had to address a group of exhausted beatup heartbroken kids who just left their heart and soul on the field, then you probably feel as I do. This thread spun way out of control about what should have been private sentiments in a post game huddle between a coach and his players.

If you've ever had to address a group of exhausted beatup heartbroken kids who just left their heart and soul on the field, then you probably feel as I do. This thread spun way out of control about what should have been private sentiments in a post game huddle between a coach and his players.

I agree nice post.

It sounds like some of you would be really surprised at some of the things that coaches say to their teams . . . . . this isn't "rec" league or Friday night fun with the kiddies. Coaches are often singled out in the heat of the moment--and a lot of people seem to think that it is okay because they are public figures. Maybe that is right . . . . . . maybe that is wrong. But in the grand scheme of things--these are people. They do a lot of good--but there are times when they make mistakes.

And the BIGGEST MISTAKE of all--it sounds like Coach Matney needs to start having his huddle in the locker room instead of on the field. Hopefully, in the future, he makes that adjustment.

The worst thing is--a lot of coaches have the after game huddle on the field so people can feel like they are part of what is happening. And then, it is taken advantage of in situations like this.

The coach was probably more worried about helping his kids, that he lives and dies with, find some type of comfort in the situation. Looking back, he was probably doing what a LOT of coaches would or have done in the same situation.

If this did happen--I would say that he shouldn't have had his team huddle within earshot of the general public. Shame on him for that. . . . and nothing more . .

This isn't surprising--and from where I sit--it isn't a big deal.

Based on the vote to separate privates and publics, odds are Matney does feel that CovCath had an unfair advantage over his team. I'm not sure why everyone would be shocked since the majority of the state obviously feels the same way.

Anyway, back to this instance, I still feel if the big fullback/lb Johnson doesn't get hurt, then this game would have been a tight one down the stretch and who knows who would have won. But that proves the point that a mountain school can compete with the "private powerhouses" from the north. Not that it is any surprise as Bell, Rockcastle, and Boyle have been at that level for years. Based on the numbers JC had, I have no doubt they are a program on the rise and will get more shots at that state title. This year it wasn't meant to be, but that doesn't lessen the accomplishments of this team and these players.

Also, with all of these advantages, one has to wonder why CovCath hasn't been to the finals since 1997? State championships are hard to come by, and requre a little bit of luck as well as hard work and preparation.

Once these quotes were pieced together and put into context they make a lot more sense. As has already been stated, this is no different than what other coaches would have said in similar circumstances. Keep in mind, he had already watched as Blake Johnson went out of the game witha knee injury and as Shawn Grimm was carted off the field on a stretcher with what appeared to be a serious neck injury at the time. From the quotes listed, it sounds as though Coach Matney held it together pretty well under the circumstances.

Nice work Guru!

I've never had to address a group in this situation, on this level; but if I ever did, I hope I'd react entirely differently. I'm convinced a large part of the current ills of our society can be directly traced to a clear lack of personal responsibility, for anything!! It's always somebody else's fault, the system's fault, they had an unfair advantage, they're bigger, have more money, etc............... How about something like "we had a great season, put JC on the football map, restored the pride in the program, but lost to a better team today--We'll be back next year and hopefully get over the hump"??

Do you think CovCath's coaches cried to their kids about "unfair advantages" and such rot, every time they've lost to Highlands, LexCath, etc. the last several years?? NO--They went back to work and finally got over the hump and are back in the championship game for the first time in quite a while. IMO, it's a huge insult these kids and this team (and the JC kids) to do anything other than admit you lost to a better team, and allow your kids to lose with class, which by all reports the KIDS actually did!!

Obviously something said in the heat of the moment and none of us should have ever heard it. Don't agree as other than 4 or 5 parochial schools the state football has been dominated with names like Male, Danville, Highlands, Beechwood, Russell, Pikeville, Bowling Green, Boyle County, Mayfield, Paducha Tighlman, etc. etc. But as long as LexCath, CovCath, Trinity, St. X and NewCath win anything the public schools will have issues. But as the Guru has mentioned numerous times EVERYONE has open enrollment and teams like Highlands and Beechwood have dominated there classes over the last 15 or 20 years. Ask Dale Mueller if he can't compete, looks like he's been doing just fine to me. It comes down to great coaching, longevity as this does not happen over night, a repeatable system, community or school interest in football and a great feeder(grade school) football system. From the looks of it JC is building a powerhouse in the mountains, what has happened down there in three short years is nothing short of amazing but to use this excuse I believe minimizes how far you've come and how much work your kids and coaching staff have done.

JC should be congratulated on an unbelievable season, it's a shame where talking about this instead

I can remember when Rockcastle Co went to Cov Cath on a Sat in 2001 and were the underdogs and won 17-14. It does take a lot of luck and yet a good team to accomplish this. Rockcastle Co once again had to face highlands in 2002 in the semi finals and won big at home. Again it takes a good team and luck to get there. Johnson Central had a good team this year and went to the semis before getting beat. The main point I am bringing across here is that once you realize you can do this, then you know you have a chance again if you keep on working at it. The experience JC had this year will take them a long way in the future. This senior group laid the foundation for something great in the future that the younger players must continue to build on.

IMO the "they have unfair advantages" comments to the team diminishes the boys accomplishments this season . Its as if the coach was saying JC was never really good enough to compete with CCH because of CCH's "unfair advantages." JC showed they could compete and the coach should show them that , as my famous Coach Bob Lewis always told me, "excuses are a poor patch on the garment of failure." Sometimes you fail. Move on. Don't cry.

That original thread took an unfortunate turn over something that amounts to much ado about nothing, IMO. As joedirt said, it was post game locker room speech by a coach to his team. IMO, those things should remain private. Unfortunately, it was made very public and the end result is negative feelings all around.

I have no comment on the issue, nor the comment itself. I'm not part of that program and I wasn't present when it was made. I don't want to risk taking it out of context and I'm happy just dismissing it as a team issue and leave it at that.

My regret is that I didn't speak up when the original thread went south and support my friend, Coach Matney, on a personal level.

Jim is a friend and a first class individual. His coaching abilities and motivational skills are proven, but they are not the reason I respect and admire him. I know him to be a good man, a good mentor and a good role model. Jim as a man of character and it is an honor to call him a friend. He cares for his players and I would be proud to have a son of mine to play for Coach Matney.

I can remember when Rockcastle Co went to Cov Cath on a Sat in 2001 and were the underdogs and won 17-14. It does take a lot of luck and yet a good team to accomplish this. Rockcastle Co once again had to face highlands in 2002 in the semi finals and won big at home. Again it takes a good team and luck to get there. Johnson Central had a good team this year and went to the semis before getting beat. The main point I am bringing across here is that once you realize you can do this, then you know you have a chance again if you keep on working at it. The experience JC had this year will take them a long way in the future. This senior group laid the foundation for something great in the future that the younger players must continue to build on.

So is this a Eastern Ky inferiority complex or a public/private thing ?

It seems like your talking about Eastern mountain schools beating northern powers. But I believe you are dead on in your comments, good schools from anywhere can beat HHS or CCH, but what they have built should'nt be riduculed it should be revered and respected and something to aim at not say well we can't beat them anyway since they have such a HUGE advantage.

JC and Rock county are good programs and don't need comments like Matney's that trivialize their progress and trivialize the work and preperation from schools like HHS and CCH that have worked year after year to build these programs

Obviously something said in the heat of the moment and none of us should have ever heard it. Don't agree as other than 4 or 5 parochial schools the state football has been dominated with names like Male, Danville, Highlands, Beechwood, Russell, Pikeville, Bowling Green, Boyle County, Mayfield, Paducha Tighlman, etc. etc. But as long as LexCath, CovCath, Trinity, St. X and NewCath win anything the public schools will have issues. But as the Guru has mentioned numerous times EVERYONE has open enrollment and teams like Highlands and Beechwood have dominated there classes over the last 15 or 20 years. Ask Dale Mueller if he can't compete, looks like he's been doing just fine to me. It comes down to great coaching, longevity as this does not happen over night, a repeatable system, community or school interest in football and a great feeder(grade school) football system. From the looks of it JC is building a powerhouse in the mountains, what has happened down there in three short years is nothing short of amazing but to use this excuse I believe minimizes how far you've come and how much work your kids and coaching staff have done.

JC should be congratulated on an unbelievable season, it's a shame where talking about this instead

Amen to this statement!! :thumb:

"We went toe to toe with one of the states premier football powerhouses tonight and held our own. The parochial school get to go out and recruit the states top athletes. Now, if anyone tells you thats fair they're either crazy or a liar. We went up against the best the state has to offer and we held our own. There's no reason.....no reason for anyone on this team to hang their head and think that they're somehow less of a football player or we didn't deserve to be here"

Guru,

It isn't worth it to fight on-line about what was said or wasn't said, but sometimes you have to say something, just to let those who say such things know, that they are not true.

I have received quite a few E-mails from many of the Eagles fans thanking me for my words about being in Paintsville and having a great time. I can only hope if and when (and it will happen one day) we host JC, they can say how nice we treated them, when they come north....

However if the Coach said what I have in bold, then I have a problem with it. CovCath like HHS, Beechwood and other great schools don't have to "R". Yes many former Alums, or former Parents, might tell their friends about CovCath and all the advantages to going there both academically and athletically, but the school administration nor staff does nothing wrong at all, in fact they are most probably more careful than most, because of who they are.

The "R" allegations and level playing field, and separation stuff is getting mighty old. Just seems funny that no one and I mean no one complained when a certain public school recently got hit with a fine for using an ineligible player. Have that happen to HHS, Beechwood or a Catholic HS, and it is all over BGP's in a heart beat.....

I had a great time in Paintsville, was treated like a king, saw a great football game, but if the coach did say what is alleged in bold at the top, he should apologize even if it were said in private. He should talk to a reporter, and either deny or admit to the allegations to end this for once and for all.....