Coach Matney's comments revisited...

theguru

Unreal!!! He said what was on his mind at the time and what was "politically correct" was probably not the first thing crossing his mind. What was said by the coach to HIS TEAM should have been privileged information, unfortunately someone else heard this and felt compelled to spread the information. It obviously was a tough loss and directly after suffering that loss emotions were still high, I am sure. Obviously some of the critics and others trying to bash the comments have never been in that situation. I would imagine that this is the reason that anyone came on here trying to discount what the coach said. I can fully understand the "angle" of the speech and HOPEFULLY his team that returns next year will play with a "chip" on their shoulders. What motivation this could be!!! The loss hurts and to quote a cliche, "that which does not kill us only makes us stronger."

Good luck to the team in their battle to overcome the CovCath advantages. :thumb:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't about the stupid cheer. Its about an attack on Coach Matney. Jeez...follow the thread.

According to the first two posts, this is about the "reported comments" attributed to Coach Matney, and the discusion of the positions taken in them. It appears that's what's taking place!!

Unreal!!! He said what was on his mind at the time and what was "politically correct" was probably not the first thing crossing his mind. What was said by the coach to HIS TEAM should have been privileged information, unfortunately someone else heard this and felt compelled to spread the information. It obviously was a tough loss and directly after suffering that loss emotions were still high, I am sure. Obviously some of the critics and others trying to bash the comments have never been in that situation. I would imagine that this is the reason that anyone came on here trying to discount what the coach said. I can fully understand the "angle" of the speech and HOPEFULLY his team that returns next year will play with a "chip" on their shoulders. What motivation this could be!!! The loss hurts and to quote a cliche, "that which does not kill us only makes us stronger."

Good luck to the team in their battle to overcome the CovCath advantages. :thumb:

I think everyone understands the "emotion of the moment" thing, but bigger point would be is it right message to tell the kids in essense, "it's not your fault, they just have advantages you don't have"?? The more I hear of Coach Matney, I'm wondering if this was his intention?? I doubt he built this program kind of from the ashes, but using this logic??

I would advise scheduling some quality opponents to "battle test" his kids for the playoffs, now that the program is "back"!! I understand the district scheduling issues, but beating up on a bunch of 3-7 teams doesn't prepare you for CovCath, LexCath, BG or Highlands!!

This isn't about the stupid cheer. Its about an attack on Coach Matney. Jeez...follow the thread.

Tatertot, I believe your friend is mine too... I understand you wanting to defend your coach, but as I said before IF he said want is alleged, then that is where we differ. This has become a public matter, even before this second thread, I agree it needs to stop, but the only person who can stop it, is the coach himself. Remember it was one of your own that opened up this can of worms...

I really did have a great time in Paintsville and would love it if CovCath and JC played again especially in your new stadium....or would welcome any one from Paintsville up to CovCath to visit and play us here....I don't know if this is possible as the cost would be rather much to travel that far, but.....if it could it would be great....

This Eagle fan agrees with BGGreen and Theoldguy that the best way to put an end to this nonsense is for JC to schedule Cov Cath in an open date next year (or better two, home and home). Maybe even a kickoff "bowl" game. Yes, the distance is something to consider, but we have to travel to Lexington and Woodford county for district games anyway, so the extra 40 minutes shouldn't be that bad. Win or lose, the Eagles will improve by playing championship quality opponents, and for whatever reason we have trouble finding quality non-district opponents closer to home. Maybe this unhealthy topic can give rise to a healthy rivalry...

This Eagle fan agrees with BGGreen and Theoldguy that the best way to put an end to this nonsense is for JC to schedule Cov Cath in an open date next year (or better two, home and home). Maybe even a kickoff "bowl" game. Yes, the distance is something to consider, but we have to travel to Lexington and Woodford county for district games anyway, so the extra 40 minutes shouldn't be that bad. Win or lose, the Eagles will improve by playing championship quality opponents, and for whatever reason we have trouble finding quality non-district opponents closer to home. Maybe this unhealthy topic can give rise to a healthy rivalry...

:thumb: :thumb:

A quick question if someone can answer:

The "statement" in question--was it said in the locker room or after the game (in a team huddle) on the field?

From alll accounts, it was purportedly said on the field following the game as Coach Matney was addressing his players.

That original thread took an unfortunate turn over something that amounts to much ado about nothing, IMO. As joedirt said, it was post game locker room speech by a coach to his team. IMO, those things should remain private. Unfortunately, it was made very public and the end result is negative feelings all around.

I have no comment on the issue, nor the comment itself. I'm not part of that program and I wasn't present when it was made. I don't want to risk taking it out of context and I'm happy just dismissing it as a team issue and leave it at that.

My regret is that I didn't speak up when the original thread went south and support my friend, Coach Matney, on a personal level.

Jim is a friend and a first class individual. His coaching abilities and motivational skills are proven, but they are not the reason I respect and admire him. I know him to be a good man, a good mentor and a good role model. Jim as a man of character and it is an honor to call him a friend. He cares for his players and I would be proud to have a son of mine to play for Coach Matney.

Ditto!

I'm not really comparing the two, just saying those arrogant cheers were in public, and whatever Matney said was very private. There's no comparison. Whatever coach Matney said was a mere opinion, and was directed to a bunch of heart-broken players and a few parents. It has no business being debated, because it wasn't a public statement. But between the one "actual" cheer, and the totally unverified and supposed "comments" (opinions), I know which is much easier to defend. One more thing, coach Matney nor any church I know of would support, or even tacitly support, such a cheer.

Once again, obviously a joke by kids, did you ever do anything at 15 or 16 that was a little silly or stupid? Take it for what it was a cheer, that chip on your shoulder is growing

The public/private debate is absolutely ridiculous. Except in 4A, it is not like a private school is winning a state championship every year. Even in 4A, Male competes, and beats, regularly with Lou. St. X and Trinity. Yes CovCath is having a great year, but it is not like they win a state championship every year. This is the first time they've been to the state final in a while. CovCath has had stretches were they've struggled with public schools here in NKY, Highlands before this year, Dixie and Beechwood for a couple a years, and Boone Co. in the late 80's/early 90's. Even NewCath here in NKY finally broke through Beechwood's stanglehold on NKY 1A.

The Guru made this comment in the before mentioned thread, "how about checking out some football in Ohio if you want to see how public high schools are right there with private high schools". He is absolutely right. The Ohio D1 final this year is Mentor vs. Hilliard Davidson, both public schools. This final is missing Cin. St. X, Elder, Lakewood St. Edward, and St. Ignatius.