CovCaths's Kicker

VoR

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The kid is a phenomenal kicker but it's a fact college kickers are a low priority for some reason. I bet Bobby Bowden wished he would have had some better kickers but even the great Doug Pelphry had to walk on at UK before they gave him a scholly.

The kid is a phenomenal kicker but it's a fact college kickers are a low priority for some reason. I bet Bobby Bowden wished he would have had some better kickers but even the great Doug Pelphry had to walk on at UK before they gave him a scholly.

ND went for it on 4th and 9 against SC instead of trying a 46 yd FG because their kicker's longest FG is 40 yards.

I wonder how much difference the high school tee makes as compared to the college tee.

Wouldn't the college tee equal earth??? I didn't realize how big a weapon a kicker was until I coached a frosh who could convert from 40yds, at that point I realized it was huge. I watched SK struggle this season in the kicking game but there are a ton of college that don't have a solid kicking game and that's pretty sad.

I can not to my life understand College Football coaches. A kicker can win 1 to 2 games a year. What other player on the team has that much outcome in a game? And yet the coaches almost refuse to give a kicker a free ride to college. It makes no sence to me. If Kentucky had offered a big time kicker a full ride, the outcome of today's Tennessee game would have been different. I think a scholarship would be worth every penny to the university to have a reliable kicker on their team. A missed extra point and like a 20 yard fieldgoal is unacceptable in my book for a SEC football team. Start giving scholarships to the good KICKERS!

Seber's numbers in high school(Knoxville Central) rivaled Popham's in many respects. He was recruited by Tennessee, but they pulled his scholarship after an injury. He was then picked up by UK over Tim Dougherty (who went immediately to Purdue). He was the MVP of the City/County Bowl and destroyed Bell with three long field goals and five touchbacks in his senior year. HE IS TRUE FRESHMAN!!! Remember the miss is the kicking unit...snapper, holder, and kicker....as well as whole line, etc. High school kickers kick off a block tee....NCAA requires the ground only. Seiber is doing pretty well for a freshman to quickly make the adjustment. He has had to kick a lot in his first games. He has done well. He rarely misses....something was amiss...probably not just his kick today. IMO. Kickers are rarely recruited. You really have to market them through the camps, former kickers, etc. to the coaches. I someone in blue had had enough sense to call a time out....AAAAHHH we would not be picking on Seiber. He WAS and is a GOOD kicker. He was a big time high school kicker and WAS offered a full scholarship, as I understand!

Cov Cath is doing a good job of helping. They have sent out a number of tapes with very positive feedback, but again no one has steppped up to the plate. It is a little disheartening, but the good news is that several 1AA schools want him to play immediatley. We will continue to send out new tape and have set up a web site at http://www.shanepopham.com a friend set it up and did a good job.

Wow... that video of the 57 yrder was so impressive. Hit it like it was nothing and it had 5 yds to boot. I hope he does the NKY area proud and lands somewhere big so we can watch him on TV. goodluck

Problem is, kickers are only one per team, not like needing to look at a half dozen DB"s or lineman, which cuts down on opportunities. Quite a few colleges are looking at Ross Umber at Ryle as well, kicking skills are similar, class room achivements are similar and that's within a 20 mile radius. Kickers and punters need to widen the search.

Problem is, kickers are only one per team, not like needing to look at a half dozen DB"s or lineman, which cuts down on opportunities. Quite a few colleges are looking at Ross Umber at Ryle as well, kicking skills are similar, class room achivements are similar and that's within a 20 mile radius. Kickers and punters need to widen the search.

I have no clue what they heck you're saying here. It seems that "similar" has taken on a new meaning.

I have no clue what they heck you're saying here. It seems that "similar" has taken on a new meaning.

I agree. As much as this hurts me to say this about a CovCath player, but he may be the best kicker that I have ever seen on the prep level.