Mayfield at Danville

Who will win this semi-final game?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win this semi-final game?

• Danville
    • Mayfield

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love this annual matchup. I will go with the ADS this year. I think they have a bad taste in their mouth from last yrs playoff exit.

Both teams have bad tastes in their mouth the way that '05 ended...Danville with the loss to Bardstown, and Mayfield with the way they played in the '05 finals against NCC. Game will come down to which team is able to handle the pressure of the magnitude of the game and the atmosphere as it should be a complete sellout as you know the ADS fans will come out in droves with it being the semi's and Mayfield's fans will do the same. I think that both teams are pretty even on most aspects, with a slight edge in speed going to the ADS from what I have been told. Both teams will line up and make you stop the run first and then will go to the air some to keep you honest or if you try and stack up the line of scrimmage. Both Mayfield and Danville have been in tight games against good opponents this year so getting down early or being in a battle should not affect either team. Defensively the Cards have gotten much improved from the 2nd half on and are the key reason why Mayfield is back in the semi's once again as the old addage is true..."DEFENSE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS". I know that Danville has a very good defense and a very quick one as well. The only thing I have not heard much about from Danville is on their special teams...I know that Mayfield has tremendous special teams in Tommy McNutt on kickoffs putting the ball in the endzone and giving Mayfield a weapon from anything within 50-yards on FG's and is pretty automatic on PAT's; and the punter Williams is a very good punter and in the game the other night against Metcalfe County he knocked down two straight punts inside the ten yard line that helped turn the game around on field conditions. And I think anyone that knows anything about either program will tell you that neither coaching staff will be outworked, or under prepared for this monumental game.

I have to give Danville the slight edge for the simple fact that they have had Mayfield's number in the past, and more importantly this game is at Admiral Stadium...if it was at War Memorial then I would give the slight edge to the Cards...that is how close I personally believe this contest will be. Now that I said that watch it be a blowout one way or the other...lol.

Quick question to the ADS faithful...how are you healthwise...for Mayfield we are about as healthy as we can be and with the early injuries to us we have developed more depth than we thought we had especially at the running back position as the Cards have six different people that can and carry the ball and give them some diversity and fresh legs in the contest.

I am sad to see this storied and classy rivalry come to an end, but how fitting is it that Mayfield and Danville can meet one last time for the right to go to the promised land of Papa John's Cardinal stadium.

Here's to a clean game and one that the officials let the players decide and keep their hankies in their pockets...can I get an amen from the congregation!!!

Good luck to both of these programs on Friday night!!!

If I may add my observations . . . I was very impressed by the technical skill of Danville's lineman, particularly Gerald Hughes. He is as good a defensive lineman as I have seen in several years, and that includes all those very good Mayfield lineman I saw last year. He is complemented very well by Brooks Evans, Chuck Elliot, and then #57 Nesbitt who was standing at a linebacker. They also have a slim #2 Dominique Alcorn, who is a junior outside linebacer of defensive end, he fights off of blocks very well.

Strode, of course is very good, and Ross is a tough runner, but they almost don't even use Jeff Guest anymore, or at least haven't seemed to (maybe they haven't needed to). More troublesome about their offense is their tight ends and backs coming out of the backfield as receivers, particularly Daylen Morris. Witten slides away from pressure and gets rid of the ball very well. I'm not trying to knock him, but I still think Macon is a year or so away. He is an effective defensive back, but I still think runs his routes a little rounded and can be muscled off on offense. He is going to be awesome in a year or so, though. I'm sure he'll use this post to prove me wrong.

Danville's special teams left a lot to be desired Friday. They gave up several long returns. Jordan Gay, the K/P, has a good leg. His punts are high but not particularly long. Kickoffs were good, high and to the goal line several times. Strong leg on XP's, though he did miss one. I suspect that if the ball were centered and from 30-35 and in, Jordan could win the game with a FG.

From what I have read from the Mayfield posters, the Cardinals are a lot like last year, with the running game just a notch down, the passing game a notch or two up, the defense again very solid, but an added weapon with the kicker. If that is so, this game should be an instant classic. I like Witten's ability to make good decisions on the run, and will predict a Danville victory, say 21-13.

Where should a Bardstown fan sit on Friday night?

Well it is here and how fitting an end, I just couldn't in my mind imagine it being any other way. I have always believed God to be a football fan and I knew he would not want it to end anyother way (now if I can just get him to provide a little define intervention on the Cards behalf). Two of the states most storied and successful teams and teams that have as much respect for each other as any have anywhere. It is this respect that has made me pull for the Ads when my beloved Cards are not involved. There are so many similarities in these two programs that it is hard for most true fans not to like the other and the reason that such respect for each other exists along with some of the most exciting games ever. I cant recall how many of these games have gone to the wire but it has been more the norm than the exception. I am still pondering my thoughts about what to expect in this final meeting and will do so later. I really look forward to this one and if I am not mistaken, the winner has gone on to win the title ever single time except 1. What other game can make such a claim? I know of none and doubt there are any that can make such a claim. That says an awful lot.

Mayfield will be the underdog, we all know that.How good is Danville? I have no idea except I hear they are beatable by us. Mayfield needs to play the same type of defense they have been playing the last several months and for Mayfield to really have a shot in this game they have to have few turnovers and offensively open up the passing game. I hope we play just like we did in the Hoptown game on offense. If Joe goes into his Woody Hayes mode I dont like our chances.

I have to go with Danville. Their defense has showed up in the playoffs. And also what Admiral attack would you prepare for. Their offense is so diverse now......bubt I still like the wishbone. I will go with the ADS.

Danville-34

Mayfield-17

From An Admiral fan to all of the Cardinal fans, this is gonna be one to remember. Be safe heading East and let's do one that the state will remember. Whomever wins this one, win the title! Splitting our teams up into different classifications to me is a travesty; the annual post-Turkey day game has become as big a part of me and h.s. football as anything else. Your team/program is truly a classy, well-respected bunch in the eyes of this Danville fan; red vs. blue, power vs. power, up vs. down, left vs. right! Doesn't matter how you look at it, Admirals and Cardinals for the right to walk on the turf is truly how it should be..........

OLDSKOOL

So, what about match ups? How do you feel that they look overall? Probably don't know as much about Mayfield as I should...can someone give me the scoop? For Danville, let's start with the qb spot:

Quarterback: Witten/2 year starter; big time baseball player; decent size, very good arm; accuracy is pretty good as well. Does a good job with the offense, tends to rush some throws. Not a threat to run but isn't afraid to. Has thrown for over 1600 yards and 25 tds this year. Does a good job but this will be the biggest game he has ever played in, maybe more so than the baseball playoffs last year. 21-2 as a starter(didn't start the first two games last year I believe.

Anyone with the lowdown on Shelton??

Mayfield's QB is Adam Shelton who is a 3 year starter. Adam is the backbone of the team and will not hesitate to put the team on his shoulders and carry them if need be.

Adam has passed for over 1600 yards and has thrown 15 TDs with 6 INTs. He has rushed for over 700 yards and has rushed for 10 TDs. Adam is an all-around athlete who also plays basketball, track and baseball.

The most important thing of all is that Adam is a very good young man who all of the young kids on the team can look up to.