Faking a Hate Crime? What Should Happen to Jussie Smollett?

UKMustangFan

I am. I expected a plea deal. Not charges completely dropped. He should sue the Chicago Police Department.

He probably had to stipulate that there was probable cause for the arrest in exchange for the dismissal. This would preclude a false arrest/imprisonment civil lawsuit.

Yea i doubt he wants all of the evidence made public since they had all of it sealed.

The Chicago Police Superintendent said repeatedly in public to the media that Jussie was guilty. Clearly someone was giving the superintendent bad information if they were publicly declaring so confidently that Jussie was guilty before a trial ever took place. Now all 16 charges dropped? Surely the prosecutor saw all of this evidence, right?

The Chicago Police Superintendent said repeatedly in public to the media that Jussie was guilty. Clearly someone was giving the superintendent bad information if they were publicly declaring so confidently that Jussie was guilty before a trial ever took place. Now all 16 charges dropped? Surely the prosecutor saw all of this evidence, right?

When did he say he was "guilty"?

The prosecutor who dropped the charged apparently recused herself weeks ago. Why is she still involved?

They basically said that they arent going through a trial because he would only get community service anyway and he does community service on his own...

You think he has been completely honest about this?

I am. I expected a plea deal. Not charges completely dropped. He should sue the Chicago Police Department.

I expected nothing of substance to happen to him from the beginning, that's why I'm not shocked. If you think he should sue the Chicago PD then you believe his story, right?

NEW from Chicago: Joe Magats, the first assistant state's attorney who made the final decision to drop the charges against Jussie Smollett, says in an interview: "We didn't exonerate him."

Magats, the asst state's atty, said he saw no problems with the police investigation or the evidence against Smollett. The charges against Smollett were dropped in return for his agreement to do community service, he said, and for forfeiting his bond to the city of Chicago.

More from the asst state's attorney: "Here's the thing -- we work to prioritize violent crime and the drivers of violent crime. Public safety is our number one priority. I don't see Jussie Smollett as a threat to public safety."

"We stand behind the investigation, we stand behind the decision to charge him and we stand behind the charges in the case. The mere fact that it was disposed of in an alternative manner does not mean that there were any problems or infirmities in the case or the evidence."

This whole thing has been bizarre.

Of note: Starting with Jussie’s odd media blitz about the incident, the two brothers who have publicly admitted they committed the “assault”, the PD press conference, and now today’s decision.

While the case was dropped, I think too much damage was done to sway people’s opinion on what they believe happened. I get many trying wave that banner, but I’m not seeing it. Once the dust settles, I don’t believe a wave of people are going to come out and say, “Jussie was innocent and had nothing to do with this.”