Nick Petrino

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The word I got (from my nephew BIL one is a coach the other voted to the team) was the voting went like this for the All-District QB spot not 100% certain if this was official or not..

Matthews- 9 GAMES 309ATTEMPTS 169 COMP(55%)11 INT 2698YRDS 33 TD

Petrino- 11 GAMES 168 ATTEMPTS 112 COMP (67%) 3 INT1847 YRDS 26 TD

Ferguson- 9 GAMES 145 ATTEMPTS 78 COMP (54%)9 INT 1070 YRDS 8 TD

Hynes- 9 GAMES 238 ATTEMPTS 120 COMP (50%)13 INT 1788 YRDS 15 TD

Interesting to note, Ferguson also had over 1000 yards rushing any school with a descent QB and he is a RB instead. In average yards per game the Hynes kid led all schools in Jefferson County. In my opinion two of the four top QB's in the district 2 have a legit shot at playing D 1 and that is Matthews and Hynes. Both are over 6ft, both have tremendous arms,both like to stand in the pocket and throw but can be mobile if they need to be and neither is a Senior. Mathews was a Junior and Hynes a Freshman.

Petrino is listed at 5'9 however I have always felt that is a bit of a stretch. He will make a great D2 QB some where. Ferguson as I said will make someone a nice little running back.

How can you not place Nick's name on the ballot for Mr. Kentucky? Anderson couldn't lead his team past the second round. Beaumont couldn't lead his team past the third round. Nick has proven time after time he is a leader. Do you really have to be the biggest or strongest to be Mr. Kentucky? I don't think so. My vote goes to an undersized player who knows how to lead his team to victory. He has two more to go.

How can you not place Nick's name on the ballot for Mr. Kentucky? Anderson couldn't lead his team past the second round. Beaumont couldn't lead his team past the third round. Nick has proven time after time he is a leader. Do you really have to be the biggest or strongest to be Mr. Kentucky? I don't think so. My vote goes to an undersized player who knows how to lead his team to victory. He has two more to go.

Between Petrino and Anderson I don't think it is a contest; Nick is the easy choice.

As to Beaumont, he plays both ways and has a significant impact on both sides of the ball. He is a better defensive player than offensive, although he is very good on offense.

Nick's a winner and I wouldn't trade him for any other qb, but his stats aren't as good as other qbs in the state, e.g. Ammons. (I know the competition is different.)

Anyone who saw T vs. H knows that Beaumont was the best player on the field. Anderson became less and less of a factor as the season wore on. He didn't show up for the T game or the second H game. (My X friends think that Duece will make folks forget about Victor pretty much immediately.) As to Petrino, too many voters associate "Mr. Football" with "Who's the Best NCAA Prospect" so Petrino won't get it. Though I personally hope he is runner-up to Beaumont.

Nick Petrino is a tough kid, with skills, determination, and heart. There are many D-1 signees with athleticism and size. Few have the heart of this kid. The only way he will not be playing D-1 on scholarship is if he decides not to.

I have a close relative who was a 2-year starter for Trinity and a captain of last year's team. During last season, I asked him about how Nick (then a junior) was as a teammate. (I have been impressed with his running ability ever since he played as a sophomore.)

He responded that Nick was a very hard worker, did all the drills like anyone else (in- and off-season), was very strong and tough, was tremendously competitive, and was a good leader. All in all, he said he was a great teammate. Remember, Nick played through a pretty painful groin pull during the first part of this season. I believe that these attributes have come to the forefront during Trinity's last two playoff runs and have mightily contributed to T's success (to date).

(If I might digress, Trinity's QB coach Oscar Brohm never gets enough credit for developing T's QB's, not that he would care.)