Trial in College Basketball Corruption Case Has Begun

UKMustangFan

Good question. One difference is that Feds will actively go after you for perjury for lying in Federal court, where many times in state court the state won't. Lot bigger risk to lie to Federal prosecutors under oath, they will put you in prison.

If the NCAA tries to use only testimony to nail schools, that won't go well for them, IMO.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the NCAA tries to use only testimony to nail schools, that won't go well for them, IMO.

I think it isn’t that they’re going to take testimony at face value, but they’re now using outside court proceedings as part of their own evidence. So if someone testifies to some set of facts in court, the NCAA doesn’t necessarily have to interview that person again. Similarly, if a judge makes a finding based on those facts, that may be enough for the NCAA to proceed now.

Will we ever hear anything about Nike? I know this particular case doesn't involve them, I'm just meaning in general. Or are they just that good at cheating?

I imagine eventually something will hit the fan with Nike and one of their schools/runners, etc. Just hoping it's not one involving Kentucky when it does!

I imagine eventually something will hit the fan with Nike and one of their schools/runners, etc. Just hoping it's not one involving Kentucky when it does!

In all honesty, I would be pretty surprised if UK ever got caught up in it, because I genuinely don't think they have to cheat to get players. They have been an NBA factory since Cal got there, and that's all these players are interested in.

In all honesty, I would be pretty surprised if UK ever got caught up in it, because I genuinely don't think they have to cheat to get players. They have been an NBA factory since Cal got there, and that's all these players are interested in.

Maybe so, and I could see it with them and a couple other of the blue bloods, but I'm simply of the belief that every major school is cheating (in some regards) at the D-1 level.

I agree with this but will add that not one coach out there can police what these kids do or who they have accepted money from before they arrive on campus.

I agree with this but will add that not one coach out there can police what these kids do or who they have accepted money from before they arrive on campus.

Agreed. And let's be honest, why wouldn't they take the money, especially the one and done types?

Agreed. And let's be honest, why wouldn't they take the money, especially the one and done types?

This is where I’m at.

Why wouldn’t a recruit, or specifically a family member of a recruit accept a bag full of cash from a shoe company executive or a booster ?

Just because the kid is on a scholarship to a basketball powerhouse doesn’t make the bills and groceries any cheaper for the family back home.

Just saw a report Zion Williamson was asking recruiters for money and housing for his family. I doubt the NCAA will look into it since he’s at Duke :D

College basketball trial: Zion Williamson, Will Wade mentioned | SI.com

Later, the defense attempted to enter into the record a transcript of a recorded conversation in which then-Adidas consultant Merl Code told Townsend that Williamson’s father was “asking for opportunities from an occupational prospective. He's asking for money in the pocket. And he's asking for housing for him and the family." According to Moore’s reading, Townsend responded, "I've got to just try to work and figure out a way. Because if that's what it takes to get him for 10 months, we're going to have to do it some way."

It was the trial’s first mention of Williamson, a 6’7”, 285-pound forward who is among a star-studded incoming freshman class at Duke and has not otherwise been implicated in any recruiting-related wrongdoing. Koprivica, a 7-footer born in Serbia who attends Montverde Academy in Florida, is considered a four-star prospect and is reportedly being pursued by Florida State, Baylor, UCLA and USC, among others.