World Cup 2018

What does Argentina need at this point? Obviously, a win. But what about the other game?

In theory, if Nigeria were to stomp Iceland by 4, then Argentina could control their own destiny. All they'd have to do is win, and have Iceland either draw or not win over Croatia by more than Argentina wins by. Any other scenario will require something more than Argentina doing just well enough. For instance, if Iceland and Nigeria tie (giving Iceland 2 points to Argentina's 1), Argentina could beat Nigeria by 15 and it wouldn't matter if Iceland were to win by just a single goal over Croatia.

Realistically, Argentina is still very much in a spot to advance. Iceland is highly unlikely to beat Croatia. Argentina has historically owned Nigeria at the World Cup. There's a lot of scenarios where Argentina advances with a win over Nigeria and Iceland loses to Croatia. The nightmare scenario for Argentina is if Iceland manages to win tomorrow. Then, Iceland need only draw with Croatia to advance and there'd be nothing Argentina could do about it.

I started to map out every scenario, but there's still a lot of combos in play. Suffice it to say that if Iceland wins tomorrow, Argentina is on death's door. A draw would be best because that would mean Nigeria would have to be gunning for a win as well, and couldn't just sit back. If Nigeria were to win tomorrow, they're likely to play a far more defensive game against Argentina. Nigeria would maybe come out of that if Iceland managed to grab a lead against Croatia, but that would still be bad for Argentina because they'd need Iceland to still lose.

Edited by DragonFire

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What does Argentina need at this point? Obviously, a win. But what about the other game?

If Iceland beats Nigeria today, it’ll be pretty tough. They’ll be on one point to Croatia’s six and Iceland’s four, so then they’ll have to turn around and make up at least a four goal differential on the last day.

11 players from Serbia have last names that end in “c”. Several in “vic”.

I just think it’s interesting to observe the names from all the different countries.

Edited by hoops5

11 players from Serbia have last names that end in “c”. Several in “vic”.

I just think it’s interesting to observe the names from all the different countries.

After seeing some of the post-game of Iceland's first game, I noted that every name I saw ended in "son."

After seeing some of the post-game of Iceland's first game, I noted that every name I saw ended in "son."

I believe that the old Nordic naming conventions are enforced by law in Iceland.

So if you’re a boy born to a man named Sigurd, your last name will always be Sigurdsson. A girl, Sigurdsdottir.

I believe that the old Nordic naming conventions are enforced by law in Iceland.

So if you’re a boy born to a man named Sigurd, your last name will always be Sigurdsson. A girl, Sigurdsdottir.

I think that this is fascinating. Something I do love about the World Cup is learning about different cultures. And I love when the camera pans to the fans of that country.

Other examples of patronymics are the suffix "ova" for females and "vitch" for males in Russia. Likewise I believe the "O" in e.g.,"O'Connell" and the "Mc" or "Mac" in Irish and/or Scottish names are patronymics.

Other examples of patronymics are the suffix "ova" for females and "vitch" for males in Russia. Likewise I believe the "O" in e.g.,"O'Connell" and the "Mc" or "Mac" in Irish and/or Scottish names are patronymics.

:thumb: And, the Serbian -ic is a suffix that was originally used to create patronymics, so Djokovic is the son of Djorde, Ivanovic the son of Ivan, etc.

Germany very nearly found themselves on the outs, but rescued their World Cup with a beautiful goal from the left wing at the death - in the last minute of stoppage time. Playing with 10 men for the last twenty minutes and with absolute abandon for the entire second half, it was incredible watching Germany go to work on Sweden, but they just could not grab that go ahead goal until the last minute.

Had the game ended in a draw, I’d have had no doubt that Mexico and Sweden would have played 90

Minutes of feeling each other out on their way to a tie that would have eliminated Germany outright.