World Cup 2018

Question for the true soccer fans - does the flopping bother you?

Virtually every match I just bust at laughing at some guy rolling around like he got shot when it is clear he is faking. It seems like perhaps half the time a guy hits the ground writhing in pain that when you look at the replay you ask yourself where did he even get hit? Did that really hurt that much? It detracts from the match for me, but I am not a soccer aficionado.

Are these players trying to fake out the ref and get a yellow card on a player? Is it worth it to roll on the ground and have your team play a man down to try and beg for a call? Help me out people.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Virtually every match I just bust at laughing at some guy rolling around like he got shot when it is clear he is faking. It seems like perhaps half the time a guy hits the ground writhing in pain that when you look at the replay you ask yourself where did he even get hit? Did that really hurt that much? It detracts from the match for me, but I am not a soccer aficionado.

Are these players trying to fake out the ref and get a yellow card on a player? Is it worth it to roll on the ground and have your team play a man down to try and beg for a call? Help me out people.

I don’t like flopping in Basketball or Soccer. With only 3 officials, it is easy to sell calls. Latin countries are the kings of it.

With rare exceptions, I honestly don’t even notice it anymore. The crazy somersaulting notwithstanding, yeah, most of the time it’s an attempt to get the ref just to notice something from the other side of the field.

The best thing about the W.C. games is the absence of commercials. Congratulations to whoever chose to maintain the integrity of the game instead of selling out to television.

That’s what I told my wife. And if you to go the fridge or bathroom you more than likely won’t miss anything anyways.

The best thing about the W.C. games is the absence of commercials. Congratulations to whoever chose to maintain the integrity of the game instead of selling out to television.

Most soccer broadcasts are that way because of continuous play. However, if you look at the corner of the screen, usually by the match score and running clock, you will see company logos or short 1 or 2 second animated distractions just to remind you that somebody is paying for the coverage and wanting to push their brand.

Neymar rolling around on the ground like he took a bullet at one point during their game with Mexico today made me think of this thread. Mexico’s coach called out Brazil directly for their flailing and flopping during the postgame press conference.

He’s not wrong an Neymar is one of the world’s great actors.

Since the US isn’t in it I figured I should root for where my ancestors came from so God Save The Queen.

Be ready to lose, likely with some unforeseen heartbreak, in the quarterfinal round.

Just wanted to put this back out here for you @GrantNKY