World Cup 2018

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over time, I've become more drawn-in to the World Cup and all the hoopla. I find it much more interesting than I used to.

But please, somebody help me with some grammarical stuff that's just flat-out bugging the pants off me: Why do they refer to their teams in such a god-awful way?

In my mind, "England are a good squad" is like fingernails to the blackboard. Why do they do this? Who says "Kentucky are a good basketball team?" Or "Scott County are a good bet for a run at the Sweet 16 this year?"

And I thought those darned English folks — who all the world's soccer writers have cribbed from — knew proper grammar. They sound more like The Hulk when doing this.

A good friend, an Englishman, said to me today something to the effect of "England are sloppy." Yeesh.

When you get right down to it, saying “England” in this context is like saying “the Reds”. You’re referring to the collection of players, not to the country itself.

Not a construction I’m going to use, but I get it.

Watched replay of the Iran / Spain game last night. The way the Iranian players flop and roll around at the slightest touch like they've been shot is everything the casual fan hates about soccer.

That's also the way many Central and South American teams play. Neymar might be the worst.

Argentina is in real trouble now. Croatia is going to win this game and advance. Argentina will be at best in third place entering their final game. If things break the wrong way for them then there's a chance that even a win over Nigeria would not guarantee them advancement.

It was ultimately a 3-0 stomping by Croatia. That puts Argentina in a deep, deep hole when it comes to goal differential. They'll be watching the Iceland/Nigeria result very closely tomorrow. I don't think there's any scenario now where they can advance without beating Nigeria.