9th Region Tournament Field

You are providing Holy Cross a lot of bulletin board material. I think Newport has very good talent. They are also not consistent. The strategy against NewCath in the 4th quarter to go into a stall was just bad coaching and that's why I don't think they beat Holy Cross. Coach Schrand will find a way to frustrate Newport and they will fall a part.

Good thing they’ve continued to prove you wrong time and time again. I can’t think of the last time you thought they’d win. But it’s fine, we expect it.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Newport is 24-6 on the season. If that isn’t consistent, I don’t know what is. I guess if they were 24-5 like Cooper, they would be the model of consistency. I’m not putting Newport on the same level as Cooper or CovCath at this point, but they have been the 3rd best team in the 9th Region All season.

What is consistent is your clear bias against Newport. Which is fine, your merely a fan of another team and I’m cool with that.

What has been really inconsistent have been your rankings and your picks of winners and losers. At one point you had Beechwood, NCC, and Boone at number 3, even though Newport was 4-1 against those 3 teams, and had to lose on a buzzer beater to lose to Beechwood, on a night when Makhi McGuire, one of the regions best shooters, didn’t play.

You also picked NewCath to win the district all year. They lost. You picked Bellevue to beat Newport. They lost. You picked NewCath to beat Newport in regular season. They lost.

You did pick the Cooper game correctly, but so did most of BGP nation. Not a tough one to pick, especially at Cooper, where they haven’t really lost in a couple years.

I’m fine that as a fan you have a bias towards one team, but to have an odd dislike for another is baffling.

Always sad when people choose to root against others more than they just root for their own teams.

As for bulletin board material, Holy Cross is tough minded. Good, tough kids, with a good coach, and they won’t need bulletin board material. Same for Newport. At the end of the day, I think both sides will be ready to go because it’s win or go home. You’ll see the best of each of the 8 teams in the region.

Beautifully said.

Why the whining and groaning about the draws? Is a regional runner up any different than regional semi finalist? You’re going to have to beat the team at some point, or you’re afraid your team is going to lose.

In 2000 my NewCath Breds faced the Colonels of Covcath in the first round of the regionals. CovCath has handed NCC their lunch in the regular season. We as fans were nervous and unsure. The players were confident and the Breds won. Then they had to face Conner in the semis who was a top five regional team. Conner missed a free throw at the end that would’ve sent it to OT. NewCath handled Holmes in the finals although a player for Holmes hit a half court shot at the buzzer before half.

Point being this poor gripe could be made in every regional tourney AND state tourney since the start of the whole thing 100 years ago. Get over it brotha

I am with you Jackie Ed. If it is a two team race, obviously it is better drama if the two teams face off in the championship game. But that is all that is missing. If those two face in the semifinals it will still be a game everyone wants to see and so be it. One of them has to beat the other somewhere along the way. Whether it is in the semifinal or the championship game is just logistics.

You couldn't be more wrong. I hear what you are saying that you have to play the favorite at some point so what does it matter. I'll tell you why it matters. If we all can agree that Cooper and Covington Catholic are the two best teams in the region then here ya go. Your third best team only has to pull off one upset to earn a ticket to Rupp. I believe the 4 district champions should be seeded. This can be done off their regular season records. It also gives a little more merit to winning your district championship. No one is griping here, as those teams will show up and battle it out as they should. Let's just hope there is no let down on their part in the championship game. Another reason to seed your two strongest teams opposite one another.

Again, I see your point but I am not buying it. You're saying a better team can not have an off night and lose a game thus losing a birth to the sweet 16. I would argue your third ranked team is handed a gift by having one of the stronger teams eliminated. My point is the weaker team should have to run the gauntlet, not your better teams.

I'm betting we are gonna find out. Not predicting that upset but simply saying it is the perfect "trap" game. Trust me, if Cooper and Cov. Cath meet in the semi's, whoever the victor is, that coach will be instructing every single player on their team that their ticket is not yet punched. That there is still work to be done.

Edited by BigT

I'm betting we are gonna find out. Not predicting that upset but simply saying it is the perfect "trap" game. Trust me, if Cooper and Cov. Cath meet in the semi's, whoever the victor is, that coach will be instructing every single player on their team that their ticket is not yet punched. That there is still work to be done.

Why not just let Cooper and CCH play and send the winner to Rupp.

Don’t sleep on Newport. Newport can beat anyone but they can beat themselves also. If anyone else out of the top makes it to final it will be 50 point beat down.

My quote was not meant to be taken serious, I would have no problem with Newport going to Rupp. Just tired of all the whinning about the draw.

The key for Newport is Tahj Harding staying out of foul trouble and on the floor. They have enough talented players to challenge if they play well. For example, Newport lost by 5 to Campbell County, who gave CCH all they could handle before losing by two points. Newport is capable of making it a game versus CCH or Cooper, but I just can't see them pulling it off at crunch time even if they are right there within striking distance or even have the lead late. I think Cooper or CCH are too battle tested and would make the plays they need to win.