Louisville schools against Spring Football - They want to take it away from everyone

UK#1fanisback

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering Trinity had coaches on the listserv appeared pretty upset this was suggested. They appeared to be blindsided.

For those that don’t think spring football is a big deal I have to assume you are not coaches. If you were coaches then you would understand it’s importance. College coaches come to spring practice. New players try football in spring practice. Transfers play in spring football. Coaches test and introduce new ideas/concepts. Depth is created in spring practice. The list goes on and on.

I don't believe that for a second.

There is no way the top football program in the state of Kentucky is going to attempt to do away with Spring Football without the coaching staff having any idea.

This does NOT pass the smell test.

I don't believe that for a second.

There is no way the top football program in the state of Kentucky is going to attempt to do away with Spring Football without the coaching staff having any idea.

This does NOT pass the smell test.

Maybe you read Coverdale’s email on the listserv different than others did.

Pretty remarkable that a "Gang of 8" AD's from one city feel they speak for all football playing schools of all classifications across the state... The positive here is the process & AD's were outed.

Again, I may be on the outside here, but I believe the motives of the AD's were probably in the best interest of sport in general, not just football.

Granted the big Louisville schools don't have the same problems of sharing athletes that a small 1a school may have, but I believe that they were trying to make it so those multiple sport athletes that are playing baseball, track and tennis are not pressured into skipping the opportunities these sports can provide to participate in a non-mandatory session of an offseason activity.

What I don't understand is, if this is their reasoning for terminating spring practice (to alleviate pressure from offseason activities of one sport during season of another) then why replace this with basketball scrimmages in July?

Also, with little to no acclimation time leading into full pads in spring practice, I believe that the safety concern is a legitimate one. Otherwise, how can you justify all the constraints and protocols we see in July and August if you are to completely ignore them in April?

I would argue that working on tackling technique without pads would garner more results in terms of safety. Kids aren't going to use their heads when they aren't protected, learn how to form tackle.

I tend to completely disagree. The reason for my disagreement is, that philosophy has been utilized for years and proven to not produce results. When injury became the utmost concern and coaches started having less contact and "pop" contact without taking players to the ground, tackling technique quickly declined, form tackling was lost and tackling position suffered. Couple that with the fact that coaches don't have a enough time to stress proper body positioning and tackling technique during the season and I think many of the fundamentals suffer.

Now, in the spring, coaches, and players, don't have a opposing team to prepare for and can focus on things that can be re-enforced during off-season, non contact, meetings.

If 10 days in the spring is the excuse for lack of success or player safety, there are much bigger issues those programs need to address before they worry about spring football. JMO.

Highlands, during the Mueller era, claimed one huge reason for their success was the amount of work they were able to accomplish in Spring Practice. Some even claimed they were able to name most of their starters in the spring and were able to start the fall practice off with everyone in the positions they decided in the spring, saving weeks and allowing them to be way ahead of opposition.